Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Metallica remasters?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Metallica remasters?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
Jason Newsted clearly believes that his bass was turned off on Justice. This was a claim he made after quitting Metallica in 2001, and when discussing the topic, he was very clearly still upset. I would expect so, especially after his excellent bass sounds on the Garage Days Re-Revisited EP.

According to some accounts I've read in magazines and books, Lars Ulrich had a falling out with Newsted at some early point. It's never been specified when, but it went far enough where Ulrich wanted Newsted replaced altogether! This move was blocked by Cliff Burnstein at Q Prime (Metallica's longtime managers), who observed that the band would only be changing players on every album. You made your choice, Lars, now you have to stick to it.
If you're going to put out an album without any bass, why bother having a bass player? They made Lars stick with Jason, but Lars could have come back and said, "bass player? we don't need no stinkin' bass player!"
Old 11-20-08, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There are scattering moments when you can hear the bass on 'justice' the entire last 4 min of 'one'
Old 11-20-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 122 Posts
G|-------------------------|
D|-------------------------|
A|--------------------7----|
E|----7----8----10--------|
"Blackened" Intro (Fade In)

Another scattering moment of audible bass.
Old 11-20-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
As posted in the Death Magnetic thread several pages back
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eAvwod7BBK0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eAvwod7BBK0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Blackened w/ enhanced bass, this is the original track,since it was a song in Rock Band, and the guy who upped this turned the bass up significantly

They did the same for And Justice for All ...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oWgEeTqjXMI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oWgEeTqjXMI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 11-20-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,514 Posts
The only time I ever really noticed any bass on the album was during the slow part before the final verse. If you really listen carefully, you can hear the bassline very faintly. The lack of bass, along with the production sounding too "dry", always bothered me about the album. "Master of Puppets" had the same producer and sounds much better to me.
Old 11-20-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
Remember that they went back to Fleming Rassmussen after Mike Clink didn't work out (Clink went on to produce Megadeth's masterful comeback Rust in Peace). Rassmussen essentially was a hands-off guy, so Justice was the first album where Hetfield and Ulrich were in the producer's chair, in charge of those decisions.
First of all, Clink wasn't replaced, he was always temporary. Fleming was busy doing another album when Metallica was set to enter the studio so the label picked the hottest Rock producer at the time (with Metallica's blessing if I remember correctly), which was Clink who was coming off Appetite for Destruction. He was only needed for the first month or two of recording before Rasmussen's schedule was open. I'm not sure how much if anything of Clink's recordings made it into the finished process.

As for the rest of your suggestions, I'd never heard of any dislike between Lars and Newsted. I was fairly certain that Lars and James both admitted to sneaking into the studio during mixing and turning down the bass while Jason wasn't around... to make their parts stand out better I guess. It was a stupid decision and pissed off Newsted when he got the finished album.

It's interesting to note that when Metallica enlisted Bob Rock for their fifth studio album - what became The Black Album - Rock and his team squirreled Newsted away to themselves. This time, the bass would be protected from outside interferences. The result is that brilliant, heavy, deep sound on The Black Album.
Given that Bob Rock is a bassist, this doesn't surprise me at all. I really like the bass sound on the black album.