Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Genius playlists? Pfffft. Try Brilliant playlists.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

A friend of mine sent this link to me:

For Music Fetishists Only
Posted by Stephen Green on 08 Nov 2008 at 06:07 am

My fellow music fetishists are going to love this one. Want to thank me? Then just follow my advice. Because if you do, then, musically, your world will become a much better place.

For years now, pretty much every major MP3 player has featured some kind of “smart” playlist. Recently, Apple introduced “Genius” playlists, which, while nice, are pretty much BS. However, I recently came up with “Brilliant” playlists. And you need to start using them, too.

If you haven’t already, you’ve got to rate your music. And whatever you do, don’t be generous. Five stars should be reserved for your Desert Island songs — the ones you never, ever get tired of hearing. Four stars is for songs you really like, but could burn out listening to if played too often. You like a song OK? Then it gets three. Two stars for songs you might skip past more often than not when they come up. A single star for stuff you actively dislike, but have on your iPod for when your wife needs to hear some Bon Jovi at a party.

With this system, I’ve found that — quite accidentally — my music library is rated on an almost-perfect bell curve. 5% with five stars, 20% with four, 50% with three, 20% with two and 5% with one. And that’s a library of nearly 8,000 songs.

But what’s this about a Brilliant Playlist? At last, I can explain.

I am the undisputed King of Smart Playlists. I tag my songs with keywords to make building lists easier, such as “Melissa” for songs my wife likes, or “Explicit” for songs I don’t want my son to hear. I have smart playlists based on ratings, most-played songs, places I used to live, semesters at school, even a couple to take me back to particular weekends. But my go-to list, the one I used most every day, was just songs rated four or five stars which hadn’t been played in 30 days.

It was a good go-to playlist. It never played anything I didn’t like, and it never played something I had heard too recently. Well, mostly. Problem was, I was listening to the same 1,500 or so songs every 30 days. And my desert island songs weren’t playing often enough, and I was starting to burn out on the four-star stuff. But if I added in the 3-star songs, then the playlist jumped to 5,000+ songs, and I hardly ever got to hear the really good stuff.

There didn’t seem to be a solution. Either the iPod spewed out too much Barely OK stuff, or would wear out the better stuff. Then about a month ago I came up with Brilliant Playlists.

A Brilliant Playlist is made up of other playlists. Four of them, to be exact. Think of them as Placeholder Playlists, from which you can extract most anything you like, with a perfect blend of variety and hot rotation each and every time.

Keep bearing with me here while I keep explaining. You’ll get it shortly.

First Smart Playlist (for iTunes users; others will have to adapt). Five Star songs only, haven’t been played in the last 1 day; limited to 250 songs; Genre is not Christmas or Children’s Music.

Second Smart Playlist. Four Star songs only; haven’t been played in the last 45 days; limited to 250 songs; Genre is not Christmas or Children’s Music..

Third Smart Playlist. Three Star Songs only; haven’t been played in the last 60 days; limited to 200 songs; Genre is not Christmas or Children’s Music..

Fourth Smart Playlist. Two Star Songs only; haven’t been played in the last 180 days; limited to 50 songs; Genre is not Christmas or Children’s Music..

Now for the Brilliant Playlist. Set the rules for “Any” and build the Brilliant Playlist out of the four placeholder lists above. What do you get? 750 songs. A third of which is stuff you could listen to every day. The other third is stuff you really like, but don’t want to burn out on. Another near-third is just OK, but you haven’t heard any of them in months. And finally, a handful of items you might otherwise never hear, and wouldn’t want to hear more than once or twice a year.

Not bad, eh?

And here is where you’ll see just how brilliant this system is. You can pull a perfect blend of most anything you want out of your Brilliant Playlist. Try making a new playlist with three rules: Genre is Rock, year is before 1980, playlist is Brilliant. Now, you’ve got a Classic Rock playlist with the same perfect blend of tunes. Or: Artist is Frank Sinatra, playlist is Brilliant. Now your iPod will serve up plenty of the Chairman of the Board without you ever getting bored. Or: Year is in the range of 1983-1987, playlist is Brilliant — and suddenly I’m back in high school. Or: Comment contains “Melissa,” playlist is Brilliant — and I can play stuff Melissa likes while we rock in the kitchen, but without too much of her stuff I can’t stand.

Oh, and starting the day after Thanksgiving, I’ll temporarily remove the rules excluding Christmas songs — and I’ll get Christmas music added into the mix, but not so much of it that I’ll be sick of “Sleigh Ride” before Christmas rolls around.

And the Brilliant Playlist constantly updates itself, every time a song is played. It’s a perfect blend, no matter what, whether you’re playing it straight or pulling sub-playlists out of it.

You can change up the numbers, the frequency, or the ratings to suit yourself — but you get the idea. I find that having about 10% of my library for my iPod to choose from works well — and I can’t take it too much higher because I have fewer than 400 songs with five stars. You should adjust yours according to your own library and tastes, but the concept — the brilliance! — is endlessly adaptable.

Now crank it up to 11.

http://vodkapundit.com/?p=10626
This is actually a pretty neat idea, but I've never rated any of my music in iTunes. With my library containing over 18,000 songs (and growing daily or weekly), it just seems like a daunting task. And I'm anal enough to want the ratings/playlists in both my iPod and iTunes, but I manually update the former so it'll take twice as long to do.

My go-to playlist is one where I just dump a lot of my favorite uptempo songs into it (good for the gym), but it replays the same songs way too often. My second most used one is for all of my music (except for Christmas songs) and, while it's good for dusting off songs I haven't heard in a long time, I find myself skipping through it a lot. I think it's time to make some changes.

I may start to gradually rate songs as they play and occasionally devote some time to just rating songs, and maybe in a few months I'll be able to do this Brilliant playlist thing.

What do you guys think? Do you have a different/better system for your general, non-genre/artist-specific playlists?
Old 11-13-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
That sounds like a good idea if I had that much free time on my hands. I only have a library of about 5000 songs but it would take a whole lot of time to rate everything.

I like the Genius playlists. But what I've been starting to do is take a song that I'm really into at the time and build a Genius playlist from it. The list is 25 songs and I'm likely to get 3-5 songs from that playlist that I haven't heard in awhile to add to the playlist that I'm making. Every so often I'll find a song or two that I haven't heard at all yet and I'll give that a listen at that time to see if it should be added. Then I'll go to the next song that I want on my playlist and repeat until I have a desirable amount of songs.
Old 11-13-08, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I have over 20,000 tracks, and have been working on rating them over the past 5 years. I also have 40+ smart playlists for various results. I have playlists pulling one song a year starting in 1965. Playlists with high ratings that I haven't listened to in 5 months. A playlist that is the same length of time as I'm at work, pulling songs rated 3+ that I haven't listened to in 6 months. On and on and on. Smart playlists are a great way to enjoy music, if you get creative enough with them.
Old 11-14-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Hmmm... Genius - click one button and you are good to go. Brilliant - spend 5 years rating and tagging everything in my collection.

Those are some decent tips for smart playlists, but the choice is clear.
Old 11-14-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One way I gradually built up the ratings in my library was to create an "Unrated" smart playlist, for say, 200 random songs whose rating is zero stars. Ratings can be applied from an iPod, so I could be listening at work to that playlist, and if I had a few cycles, I could apply ratings to songs as I was listening, and they would be copied back to iTunes next time I synched up.

But this discussion might be better over in one of the iPod threads in Tech Talk.
Old 11-14-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I got something like 200,000 tracks total (if it was stuff counted by iTunes, then the number would go down to probably 90,000...I have a ton of live show bootlegs and a lot of obscure stuff not found on iTunes), I could never rate all of them.

But this is a great idea and I think the assessment is spot on. Most people will give everything 5 stars...not everything can be that good. Think of that Simpsons episode where Homer was a critic...or as the great Angelica Pickles once said, "a club isn't a club if everyone gets in".
Old 11-14-08, 10:25 AM

Awesome idea. I'm listening on shuffle right now and rating as songs come on. So far so good. 41 down 12,000 to go. A couple weekends of sitting down with iTunes and I should be able to crank these ratings out.
Old 11-14-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry...don't have a months vacation to waste.
Old 11-14-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do playlists transfer from iphone to itunes and vice versa? I want to try this but I would almost exclusively listen to the playlist on my iphone. So if listen to a song on my iphone and it doesn't change the play count on itunes when i sync this would be worthless right?
Old 11-14-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know the Last Played timestamp is transferred back to iTunes from the iPod, since I also have a "not recently played" playlist that is updated automatically as I listen to it. I think the play count get updated too, but I don't know for sure.
Old 11-14-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I have way too much music for this to be feasible and my music is too varied as well, which makes Genius doubly useless.

It even keeps suggesting for me to buy stuff I already own.
Old 11-14-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Am I the only one that has never used a playlist? I just don't get them. When I listen to music, I usually want to hear a specific tune, album or artist. Easy enough to do with just a few clicks. At worst, one song will make me think of something else I want to hear, then I simply navigate to that. I'm never far enough away from the controls of my iPod to need to set up a playlist that lasts for hours.
Old 11-14-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Am I the only one that has never used a playlist? I just don't get them. When I listen to music, I usually want to hear a specific tune, album or artist. Easy enough to do with just a few clicks. At worst, one song will make me think of something else I want to hear, then I simply navigate to that. I'm never far enough away from the controls of my iPod to need to set up a playlist that lasts for hours.

The only times I set up playlists (always as simple M3U files) is when I'm working on a mix for someone or I'm having people over and need to run music for hours.
Old 11-17-08, 04:13 PM

This does sound like a pretty good system. I use Winamp 5 - not sure if I will have all the flexibility in playlists/tagging like the article describes.

Like others, I'd have a big task in front of me rating my whole library, but the comments in the original article have some good suggestions for that... if you have the option to "bulk rate" (select a group of songs and apply the same rating to all of them), start out with some defaults and then adjust later on. i.e. all songs with genre Pop get 3 stars; all songs by your favorite artists get 4 stars. Handle the +/- as you hear them later on.
Old 11-22-08, 10:07 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
I'm the same way, but I've decided to take on the task of rating my songs.

That said, I've been going through my 'unrated' songs one at a time. It's amazing how much stuff I own that I really (really!) don't like.
Way too many 1-star songs. No 5-stars yet.
Old 10-19-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Genius playlists? Pfffft. Try Brilliant playlists.

Well I finally finished rating all 5000+ songs in my library today. It was actually a pretty fun time going through everything that I have. It was tough on some songs, that I really like as part of an album in its entirety, but on its own, I wouldn't rate it as highly. Since the point of the ratings was to generate better shuffled style playlists, I focused on the songs as individual entities, not as part of their larger collections.

I modified the brilliant playlist slightly, by setting up an Exclusion Playlist that it would not pull any songs from. Rather than tagging tons of individual lists to exclude holiday music, classical music, or whatever I was not in the mood to hear at that time, I set up one list. That way when it is December, I can remove the Holiday music exclusion and all the lists update accordingly instead of having to update every list. I also rated these exclusion genres a bit differently. I only rated them against other music in the genre, not against the catalog as a whole.

My distribution wasn't a nice shaped bell curve. I was heavily weighted to the lower part of the spectrum. I tried to be tough in the ratings, but I think I'll have to go back through and make sure I was not too tough at the beginning.

Anyway, thought I'd share since I finally got done with this. I didn't really start going through them much until this summer, and it moved pretty quickly from there. Having all your songs rated is pretty powerful if you like to generate playlists. Thanks to the OP for motivating me to get this done!
Old 10-19-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

yikes, would take way too much time lol
Old 10-19-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I did this earlier in the year, ranking songs I have. Next year I will revise it again. I've got about 600 "best" tracks, 1200 "better" tracks, and 1200 "very good" tracks.
Old 10-19-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve Jobs to iTunes team: "Make me something that would otherwise take me five years to do doable in a single click. Got it? Now run along."
Old 10-19-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Bus

The only times I set up playlists (always as simple M3U files) is when I'm working on a mix for someone or I'm having people over and need to run music for hours.
Right. Like I have a playlist that will omit holiday music, hardcore punk, and all Frank Zappa. Really don't want Crew Slut coming on when there's company.
Old 10-19-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

About three years ago, I was traveling a ton for work and decided I'd rate all the songs on my ipod during long flights. Over seven or eight months, I made it through around 7,000 songs and then the damn hard drive broke. I don't sync my ipod with my computer, so none of the rankings had been saved. I won't be attempting that endeavor again.
Old 10-19-09, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm slowly rating everything, but I have a long way to go. I have about 4000 rated so far. I like the exclusion playlist idea, since I have a bunch of things I typically exclude but still want to rate.
Old 10-19-09, 05:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have over 300 GB of music, and none of it is rated. I don't think I will be doing this. Besides, nothing beats just putting your itunes on random and seeing what pops up when you have that much music.
Old 10-19-09, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Besides, nothing beats just putting your itunes on random and seeing what pops up when you have that much music.
Why can't you do this with rated songs? Sometimes I shuffle my entire library, either by track or album. Sometimes I don't want to hear tracks that I don't care for very much, so I'll shuffle the playlists that have tracks rated over 3 stars. Yet other times, I'll want to hear my favorite songs, so I'll shuffle just my 5 star rated songs.

I like to change what I listen to depending on my mood. That can be done without smart playlists, but it is far easier with those playlists, as well as ratings. I started out in the beginning rating, so it doesn't seem as daunting to have the full 20,000+ tracks to go through. On the other hand, when I work for 10 hrs a day, I don't mind spending 5 of those hours rating songs as they come up without stars.
Old 10-19-09, 08:22 PM

I've been rating my music ever since I started using iTunes. I need to review and re-rate my 1, 2, and 3 stars songs, as sometimes 1 star and 2 star mean the same thing, other times 2 star and 3 star mean the same thing.

I also already have my Genres customized to work with my * ratings and Smart Playlists. They work even better now that Smart Playlists have and/or functions.

Since my library is pretty close to set up already, I think I'll spend a couple evenings this week fixing it, and then when I leave on vacation next week I should be able to have "Brilliant Playlists" ready for my road trip.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.