Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sirius's 'Area' replaces XM's 'The Move' with merger and other changes

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Sirius's 'Area' replaces XM's 'The Move' with merger and other changes

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
I loathe Alt Nations DJ's and sweepers.
Old 11-26-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I loathe Alt Nations DJ's and sweepers.
I feel the same way about the First Wave ones. That stupid chick with the fake british accent going "FIRST wave" was enough to make me want to puncture my eardrums. I cancelled so as of 12/1 I won't even have the option of subjecting to myself to the dreg that is First Wave.
Old 11-28-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hate FM radio so I can't really cancel.

I heard Scott Weiland's "Missing Cleveland" song six times between 9am and 8pm the other day. This is just when I had the radio on, mind you.

I am so tired of hearing "The Nation just got better, with Ethel added" and "Home of the best Alternative Rock...LIKE THIS STUFF!!"
Old 11-28-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate FM radio so I can't really cancel.

I heard Scott Weiland's "Missing Cleveland" song six times between 9am and 8pm the other day. This is just when I had the radio on, mind you.

I am so tired of hearing "The Nation just got better, with Ethel added" and "Home of the best Alternative Rock...LIKE THIS STUFF!!"
I hate FM radio as well and in my car I already have the Alpine iPod controller so I'm using that now and at work I got the data plan for my PDA and I stream last.fm or listen to mp3s that I burned onto a dvd.

It works out pretty well and my last.fm library is VERY close to what Fred was so I'm ok with it.
Old 11-28-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
I feel the same way about the First Wave ones. That stupid chick with the fake british accent going "FIRST wave" was enough to make me want to puncture my eardrums. I cancelled so as of 12/1 I won't even have the option of subjecting to myself to the dreg that is First Wave.
Is that "Dusty Roads"? Or whatever her name is. Whoever that chick is, I can't stand her either. She sounds like some skank groupie who was rode hard for a two decades and microwaved to dry.

Also, what happened to Left of Center on Sirius? Gone!
Old 11-29-08, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Is that "Dusty Roads"? Or whatever her name is. Whoever that chick is, I can't stand her either. She sounds like some skank groupie who was rode hard for a two decades and microwaved to dry.

First Wave has Larry the Duck (who is ok but just nothing really great about him), Richard Blade (who is super annoying), and Madison (who is pretty lame and looks like she partied a bit too much based on what her myspace page had on it) but I'm not sure who is it in the channel sweepers. Not sure who Dusty Roads is.
Old 11-30-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Richard Blade used to do KROQ I think. Madison may or may not be the same annoying one on Alt Nation.
Old 12-02-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daytripper

Left of Center became XMU.
Old 12-02-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
First Wave has Larry the Duck (who is ok but just nothing really great about him), Richard Blade (who is super annoying), and Madison (who is pretty lame and looks like she partied a bit too much based on what her myspace page had on it) but I'm not sure who is it in the channel sweepers. Not sure who Dusty Roads is.
I think he means Dusty Street who is on one of the classic rock channels.
Old 12-02-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Richard Blade used to do KROQ I think. Madison may or may not be the same annoying one on Alt Nation.
I loathe Alt Nation. Left of Center was more my preference and it's gone.
Old 01-05-09, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Sirius's 'Area' replaces XM's 'The Move' with merger and other changes

Strobe is coming back on channel 81, what happens to Cinemagic? We just got that channel and now it's going away?!?!?
Old 01-05-09, 08:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

wait? huh? Cinemagic is now gone??

what NEEDS to come back is 'The Move' the dance channels just plain out suck.

Last edited by Giles; 01-05-09 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-06-09, 09:15 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Pillowhead
Strobe is coming back on channel 81, what happens to Cinemagic? We just got that channel and now it's going away?!?!?
Channel 81 on Sirius?

Channel 81 on Xm is BPM.. They better not be removing BPM... That is the one channel from the original XM lineup I still listen to.

I don't like many of the Sirius counterparts we got on XM.

I was excited for the merger when it was first announced, but after it occurred, I do not like most of the changes at all.
Old 01-06-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

http://www.sirius.com/wo/musicweekly/index.html

YOU ASKED, WE LISTENED — BACKSPIN AND THE STROBE RETURN TO SIRIUS
By very popular demand, channels dedicated to old-school hip-hop and classic disco will be returning to SIRIUS: Backspin and The Strobe will be back on SIRIUS on January 15. The Strobe will bring listeners back to the days of Studio 54, playing the biggest dance hits of the 1970s and 1980s, while Backspin will feature the best of old school rap and hip-hop and will include shows hosted by hip-hop legends including Afrika Bambaataa and Monie Love.

http://siriusxmnews.com/2008/12/the-...rius-xm-radio/

SIRIUS XM Radio announced the return of two music
channels: The Strobe and Backspin. SIRIUS XM listeners will be able to
listen to The Strobe and Backspin beginning Thursday, January 15.

The Strobe and Backspin will bring back disco/classic dance and old
school hip-hop respectively to SIRIUS and XM. Additionally, The Beat
Morning Show will launch on BPM on January 15. The daily show will
feature popular dance hits and be hosted by former Beat program
director Geronimo.

“Bringing back The Strobe and Backspin, and adding The Beat
Morning Show, is part of our commitment to respond to our subscribers’
overwhelming passion for our service,” said Scott Greenstein, President
and Chief Content Officer, SIRIUS XM Radio. “We are fortunate to have
an enthusiastic audience that embraces satellite radio with
unprecedented fervor. We will continue to listen to them as we strive
to create the best audio entertainment experience available.”

The Strobe channel will showcase the best songs and artists of
disco and classic dance. The channel will bring listeners back to the
days of glitzy club life and Studio 54 while playing the biggest dance
hits of the 1970s and 1980s. The channel will feature shows
highlighting various disco club classics, freestyle and mixed disco
favorites, including, Deney Terrio’s Request Fever and Causi’s Club
Classics.

SIRIUS XM’s Backspin channel will feature the best of old
school rap and hip-hop. The channel will be the home of several
specialty shows including Ladies’ First with Monie Love and Zulubeats
with Afrika Bambaataa, Mick Benzo and The Cutman LG.

So Sirius XM Radio listened to the fan’s! If you are still angry about channel changes please send them to Sirius XM Radio and maybe it will be resolved.

I know allot of people are still angry about the Elvis Station so now is your chance to let your comments be heard.

I have found about 10 articles and none mention what channel the ywill be on on either station. One article mentions that there is a morning show coming to 81 - BPM hosted by Geronimo. No where does it say anything is replacing BPM.
Old 01-06-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was pissed off when I heard those looped promos this morning. I fired off some emails to see if they can explain if they are just moving the channel or something. Why give it to us for 5 days and then get rid of it? WTF..it's ridiculous.
Old 01-06-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by badlieut
I was pissed off when I heard those looped promos this morning. I fired off some emails to see if they can explain if they are just moving the channel or something. Why give it to us for 5 days and then get rid of it? WTF..it's ridiculous.

Thanks.

It's utter bullshit that they pulled this. Fired off an email myself last night. What's the use in the endless promo for Strobe? It's so annoying. All of their Channel pdf files indicate Cinemagic is still on 81.
Old 01-06-09, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks.

It's utter bullshit that they pulled this. Fired off an email myself last night. What's the use in the endless promo for Strobe? It's so annoying. All of their Channel pdf files indicate Cinemagic is still on 81.
I actually got a response and then a personal reply to my response to their response. Basically it was Cinemagic was never avail to Sirius listeners before so they weren't missing anything. I guess they got a lot of complaints about taking off the Strobe and Backspin so it made sense (to them) to appease those listeners.
Old 01-06-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,203 Likes on 4,230 Posts

What about us XM subscribers who loved Cinemagic?
Old 01-06-09, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
What about us XM subscribers who loved Cinemagic?
It was still on Channel 76 for XM folks.
Old 01-06-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by badlieut
I actually got a response and then a personal reply to my response to their response. Basically it was Cinemagic was never avail to Sirius listeners before so they weren't missing anything. I guess they got a lot of complaints about taking off the Strobe and Backspin so it made sense (to them) to appease those listeners.
Fucking bullshit. There's like 3 80s stations on Sirius.
Old 01-07-09, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,203 Likes on 4,230 Posts

Originally Posted by Adboy151
It was still on Channel 76 for XM folks.
So it's 76 on the radio? I just checked online and it's 35, but listed as Cinemagic (online). As long as it's still on XM, I guess I'm okay (I was missing it since the merger).

Great Article HERE on the failure of XM Sirius.
I've copied it below for easy reading.
Spoiler:
SHIFT: Sirius XM — what went wrong?

In the interest of full disclosure, let me start off by stating that I was a fan of satellite radio from Day One. After seeing what both had to offer, I even bought stock. Lots of stock. In both companies. That was back in 2002. I knew in my gut that within just a few years I'd be able to retire as a wealthy stockholder, sipping martinis in Martinique.

Guess what? I'm still here, working. Here's why. I won't even begin to tell you how much I lost on my investment. How did something that seemed like a slam-dunk success go so wrong? Follow the Continue link for my explanation.

Why Satellite Radio Failed
As of last month, Sirius and XM are now one: Sirius XM. What God has joined together, let no man tear asunder. Whatever. Why did the business get to the stage that merging was the only way to save both companies? Seems like a matter of lousy timing. Had the two services launched just a few years earlier than that — say, 1996 — they would have been epic. When terrestrial radio and CD were the only options, satellite radio would have had real appeal. Driving through the middle of Monument Valley listening to the latest music, beamed straight to your car — no static, no commercials and no dead-zones. Brilliant.

In reality, Sirius and XM launched in the middle of the MP3 revolution. Why listen to what someone else is playing when you can dump thousands of your own songs into a player or burn them to a disc that will play in the car. No monthly fees, no costly installation. Today, most car stereos have an AUX input for portable players, and the label of "iPod ready" is almost cliché. Even Bluetooth has hit the cars, so the playlist on your phone becomes the playlist in your car. But very few have built-in satellite radio receivers (while many are "satellite-radio-ready," that means you have to add a tuner with the hassle of installing it behind the dash).

The average consumer understands an iPod. They take it to the gym, they listen in the office, and they plug it into the car. Satellite radio tried to get into the portable market, but never quite got a foot in the door. The iPhone didn't help. Almost immediately after Apple introduced the iPhone 3G, 400,000 users downloaded the Pandora Internet Radio app, which does pretty much the same thing as a portable satellite radio, just for free. Merge or no, if something doesn't change, there are going to be five obsolete satellites floating around in space.

Sirius and XM, Post-Merger
Now that all the infighting between Sirius and XM is over ("We have NFL," "Well, we have MLB." "We have Howard," "We have Oprah"), what can be done to save satellite radio? Instead of concentrating on stealing customers away from each other, now they can concentrate on getting customers, period. Sirius XM is still advertising on radio and TV, but sporadically. It's the holiday buying season — they should be blitzing the airwaves right now.

Sirius XM now offers a lifetime subscription, but there are strings. First, it's expensive: $399 for the basic package. And the "Best of" packages cost $100 more. What's a "Best of" package? When the two companies merged, they blended their channel lineup for the most part. They share pop stations and rock stations, for example, but they kept some of their headliners separate. XM radios can add on "The Best of Sirius" to get Howard Stern, Martha Stewart, NASCAR and the NFL, and Sirius subscribers can add "The Best of XM" to get stations such as Oprah, NBA, NHL, and the PGA.

Also, these lifetime subscriptions are for the life of the radio, not your lifetime. Upgrade to a new radio, and you have to pay a $75 fee, and you can only swap three times. So folks who lease cars can forget it, and that's just off the top of my head. The lifetime subscriptions aren't a good strategy for saving the business. They need more subscribers, and they should do everything possible not to alienate the ones they have, which the messy merger has done.

Go to either the Sirius or XM website. They're confusing as hell. And their channel lineups are even more confusing. Sirius has a nice little chart on the bottom of their lineup, pointing you where to find similar music if your favorite Sirius station doesn't exist anymore. The combination does bring more of the exclusive channels to the mix — Bruce Springsteen, Jimmy Buffett, The Grateful Dead. But, ABBA radio? Really? All ABBA, all the time?

Memo to Sirius XM: Abandon Your Business Model
It's time to do something bold, and that means dropping the current subscriber-based business model. People have enough monthly fees, and the $13 per month always seemed steep for something that you can (technically) get free over the airwaves, especially as so many other avenues are available. The subscription model also makes satellite radio an awkward gift: Buy it for someone, and you've basically committed them to paying a monthly fee for an indefinite amount of time.

So what do you subscribers think? Would it kill you to hear a few well-chosen ads, maybe just at the top of the hour, to keep the channels that some of us really do love? How about a sponsored hour or two? The stations that have DJs can just say who's sponsoring it. The Spa channel, brought to you by Kashi. The Coffee House, sponsored by Dunkin' Donuts. "This hour of Hair Nation is brought to you by AquaNet." Would it kill off listeners? How about just flashing ad information on the display? Don't even play audio. Just flash "Drink More Ovaltine" on the display every few minutes.

A Satellite Radio Bailout?
Why is the government considering a bailout of the Big Three when they could be helping out a promising new industry? Ask anyone who does have satellite radio how they feel about it. Once you go extraterrestrial, you never go back. But apparently, love's not enough. They need money. Cold, heartless cash.