Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Britney Spears - 10 Years Between Number One Hits (bookends)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no Britney fan (although I did enjoy Lucky eight years ago), but apparently some people are - she just achieved her second Number One Single of her career: Womanizer.

No, I haven't heard it yet. Should I? Do No.1 hits really mean anything anymore? Are songs chart-toppers due to merit, or something else? I don't mean to sound cynicle, but hey - the past five years or so I've been out of the loop with so-called "popular music," and have been iPoding it with songs from 1920 to 2003.

But congratulations, Britney! After 10 long years, you finally got another song to reach the summit. After 1998's ...Baby One More Time reached the summit, we all assumed more No.1's would follow. They didn't. Instead, you had a slew of Top 40 hits, and Number One Albums (quite a lot, actually, earning you a record of sorts for such a feat of consectitive chart-toppers). Why your songs didn't all go to No.1 - well, who knows? I always thought Opps...I Did It Again was popular enough to do it, but it stalled out at No.9 in 2000. Go figure.

Anyway, if you retired now, you would retire on top. You have two No.1 hits bookending your singles, and that's pretty cool.

Now, if only I could hear the song. Guess if I turn on Top 40 radio...?
Old 10-22-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is so odd about her career is that radio stations have always hated her. Womanizer and Gimme More (which hit #3) both got as high as they did because of the ipod age, while between 1999-2004, she was mainly having to rely on airplay since singles were basically dead. I am no fan but it seems weird that she's always had to struggle with airplay when she makes mainstream fast food music for radio ala Rihanna or Jennifer Lopez, yet she had to fight to get a mere top 10 with Toxic and Oops I Did It Again. You'd think she'd be some really artistic songwriter/musician with the way radio has always snubbed her but fans bought her albums, yet she's always been pure pop pap. The video is all over YouTube.

I think another part is that we're a certain age now and we're not meant to love what's out the way 12-15 year olds do. Every now and then we get lucky and get a great song on the singles chart (like Coldplay recently had a #1 with Viva La Vida and the track stayed in the top 10 for 16 weeks) but for the most part, it's mainly hip hop and teen crap.
Old 10-22-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy crap!! It's catchy as Hell.

Naturally, since she can't really sing, it is gimmicky (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Old 10-22-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also think the charts (Billboard) have changed because of the digital age. It's responsible for making it #1. Blame iTunes and other mp3 sites for this travesty.
Old 10-22-08, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big whoppa
I also think the charts (Billboard) have changed because of the digital age. It's responsible for making it #1. Blame iTunes and other mp3 sites for this travesty.
I don't like Brit Brit, but at least she is a star... something these dime-a-dozen rappers who have six months where they're dominating the charts and then become forgotten aren't. I'd rather see an actual star that people know on top of the chart than some flavor of the month rapper who'll be forgotten by the time we even decide to care enough to see what the hype is about.