Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Ear Plugs

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Recommendations for Ear Plugs

Old 03-31-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Recommendations for Ear Plugs

I too have been using the etymotic high fidelity earplugs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044DEESS/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044DEESS/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 03-31-19, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Recommended already, I'm currently using these, they work great for me. These are updated versions, removes a dangerous handle that could cause the old model to get shoved into your ear if pushed during a show.
Etymotic High-Fidelity Earplugs
Same here. I've used these (and the older style) for over a decade now. Sound is superb, fit is comfortable, and are miles better than generic foam plugs. For $20, they are some of the best things I've ever purchased.
Old 03-31-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 670 Likes on 472 Posts

Yep, I've been using the Etymotic ear plugs for years, they work very well. I attend really loud concerts at times, so these have been a life saver (or at least a hearing saver!)
Old 04-01-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 574 Likes on 446 Posts

I'm gonna try the Etymotics.

I actually had custom ones made, the ones where they actually take a mold of your ear. And while they certainly work, there's too much a loss of fidelity. I tend to wear earplugs for the opening acts, then remove them for the headliners. But I notice that when I do that, I always think that all the openers suck. Last week I went to a show and forgot my earplugs, and found I enjoyed 2 out of the 3 openers, and I probably wouldn't have had I worn earplugs.

Enjoy the music or retain my hearing. That seems to be an either/or for me, and I want it to be both.
Old 04-02-19, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, this thread seems familiar. I wore the Etymotics for two years until I went to a concert in 2010 and had ringing in my ears for 24-48 hours afterwards. Hooray for more hearing loss. They were too difficult and uncomfortable for me to wear, and while they probably sounded better, it wasn't night and day and certainly not worth hearing loss.

I now wear ear plugs that are designed for swimmers that I picked up at CVS for $8. Very similar to
these these
. Because they're moldable it's pretty simple to get a good seal quickly, and they don't hurt when I jam them in my ears. Also, if I find they're attenuating a little too much, it's easy to just give them a slight tug/adjustment to allow a little bit more sound in. While wearing them I haven't once heard that noise that happens when sound breaks up into a sludgy undefinable mess due to volume (which was an occurrence at most shows I attended pre-switch -- add seems to be hearing loss city). I stand front row at several metal shows a year and haven't noticed any measurable hearing loss in almost a decade.

The foam ones never worked for me either. Better than nothing, but I had issues with them which was why I started this thread.