Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Run D.M.C., Metallica lead 2009 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominations

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Run D.M.C., Metallica lead 2009 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominations

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
Did she rise from the grave in 1983?
lol I missed that part...joke still stands.
Old 09-24-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
Did she rise from the grave in 1983?
I didn't like Janis' 1980's period where she sold out and did the Starship/Heart thing, but her recent stuff was great. I could do without the upcoming duets album, does she think she's Carlos Santana or something?
Old 09-25-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
Pretty much the only one that REALLY matters is Jan Wenner's.
Can't say I'm really surprised.

It's seemed that the RaRHOF inductees have been the artists that Rolling Stone magazine jerks off over -- the Jackson Browne types. And whenever they let someone in like Led Zeppelin, it's actually sort of surprising.
Old 09-25-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Can't say I'm really surprised.

It's seemed that the RaRHOF inductees have been the artists that Rolling Stone magazine jerks off over -- the Jackson Browne types. And whenever they let someone in like Led Zeppelin, it's actually sort of surprising.
Yeah, it's kind of pathetic.

Why isn't KISS in? (Let's face it, there are few bands that have had more influence on bands that followed them than KISS did - more guys picked up guitars or started playing drums because of KISS than just about any other band of their era.) But why aren't they in? Jan Wenner HATES them with a passion. He even refused to cover the DEATH of one of their band members in Rolling Stone in their music news section! That was a classless act that showed what a jerk Wenner really is, and it also shows why the bands that he doesn't personally like or approve of don't get into the HOF.

When Jan Wenner personally decides that someone is unworthy they don't have a chance. One man makes that decision. ONE. And no one stands up to him.

That's the root of why the R&RHOF is a sham.
Old 09-25-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
Janis Joplin would like to have a word.
and so would Aretha Franklin, she doesn't take too kindly when someone dares say another female artist is more influencial than her for all time
Old 09-25-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
If hip-hop is now allowed, Public Enemy better be on the ballot next year. Responsible for the greatest rap album of all time, It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back, they blow Run DMC out of the water artistically.
I could never get into It Takes A Nation that much. Fear of a Black Planet, as far as I'm concerned, is their finest hour.
Old 09-25-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
The main problem is Jan picks the nine folks that get nominated, then those nine are voted on by 500+ rock critics/folks. If he allowed the 500+ to pick the noms too...it would be a completely different story.
Old 09-25-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenVulture
I could never get into It Takes A Nation that much. Fear of a Black Planet, as far as I'm concerned, is their finest hour.
I'm with you. I always thought It Takes A Nation was good, but Fear Of A Black Planet is great from top to bottom, with a lot of variety, which is something It Takes A Nation lacked.
Old 09-25-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
I'm beginning to think B5Erik thinks the Hall of Fame is a sham.
Old 09-25-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by William Fuld
Also, the world is out to get the San Diego Chargers.
Old 09-25-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Also, the world is out to get the San Diego Chargers.
Ed Hochuli, anyone??
Old 09-25-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by William Fuld
With the way that the artists are nominated and voted on, don't you?
Old 09-25-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
This might be the only thread where I completely agree with B5Erik!
Old 09-25-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
With the way that the artists are nominated and voted on, don't you?
Absolutely, but it's nothing to get riled up about.
Old 09-25-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Jann should let the others vote in one other artist to vote in instead of playing God. This way acts like Kiss, Rush, Chicago and others who are on his shit list at least get considered,
Old 09-25-08, 03:08 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Wasn't it Angelica Pickles who once said, "A club isn't a club unless you don't let people in?" Seems like the God analogy works when it comes to who gets in and who doesn't.
Old 09-25-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by macnorton
Wasn't it Angelica Pickles who once said, "A club isn't a club unless you don't let people in?" Seems like the God analogy works when it comes to who gets in and who doesn't.
A Hall of Fame isn't supposed to be based on personal feelings. It's supposed to be more objective than that.

It should be based on a combination of success, longevity, influence, and quality. There are a lot of bands - all mentioned on this thread - who DESERVE to get in, but won't because of the way the system is set up.

We're not talking about letting Eddie Money and Loverboy in, we're talking some of the most iconic artists EVER, but they don't have a chance. That's not right. That also seriously hurts the credibility of the R&RHOF.
Old 09-25-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
The RRHOF is just embarrassing, I think Metallica should get in, War was a great band (especially with Eric Burden), The Stooges I can except, but the rest should not get in. When Run DMC gets brought up nobody ever talks about how much they did for Rock & Roll, its always what they did for Aerosmith and getting rap played on MTV. I like Run DMC, but they don't fit. Little Anthony & the Imperials were good but i'm sorry they were just another doo-wop group, Wanda Jackson was too small to even be considered, Chic has some good merrits but not enough to be voted in.

This brings me, like many others, to my yearly complaint. WHY NO RUSH?
Old 09-25-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07
When Run DMC gets brought up nobody ever talks about how much they did for Rock & Roll, its always what they did for Aerosmith and getting rap played on MTV. I like Run DMC, but they don't fit.
1. They were the first band to merge rap and rock, which led to all the Kid Rock crap and the sort. Crap for sure, but Run-DMC are responsible and credited
2. Remember, this is about the ROCK ERA, not the narrowminded idea of AC/DC and Metallica as "what rock music is supposed to be about". The rock era started in the 50's, and rap/hip hop is a very important part of the Rock era in the past 20 years. I cannot stress how many times that I hate rap music, but it's here to stay and many of the forefathers of the genre are now legends. I am with you that "rap sucks", but look at the bigger picture. This isn't meant to cater to what you or I like, but to the most significant and influencial artists of the ROCK ERA. The Rock Era encompasses all major artists from the past 50-55 years or so, not just the AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne "Classic Rock" radio staples. Deal with it.
Old 09-25-08, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by macnorton
I think you have an apples to oranges comparison there, but it is an awesome record to say the least. PE deserves to be in the Hall just as much as Metallica.

I do suppose opinions differ on The Stooges...some will say The Velvet Underground is more important, Television (who came later) and The MC5's. Either way The Stooges belong there.

EDIT - Something dawned on me, can you believe the MC5's and Stooges came from the same place (Detroit Rock City) at the same time (1969)? Fucking incredible. I was born way too late.
I'm from the Detroit area. Used to see Stooges and MC5 all the time. The MC5 were never recorded very well. If you never saw them live you have no idea how powerful they were.
Old 09-25-08, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by benedict
For their sound and impact on the emerging late 1960s heavy rock scene one would think that Vanilla Fudge might get a mention while some of the guys are still alive and playing.... I gather a version of the band still plays from time to time.
You gotta be kidding? One of the worst bands ever. Their whole schtick was just to slow everything down. Their Beat Goes On record is probably the most pretentious drivel ever recorded.
Old 09-25-08, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lastyear
I'm from the Detroit area. Used to see Stooges and MC5 all the time. The MC5 were never recorded very well. If you never saw them live you have no idea how powerful they were.
That doesn't surprise me at all. Both bands, from what I have seen/heard, are an open flame to gasoline...personally, music doesn't have that nowadays. Or at least, not mainstream music.
Old 09-25-08, 09:39 PM

A Hall of Fame isn't supposed to be based on personal feelings. It's supposed to be more objective than that.

It should be based on a combination of success, longevity, influence, and quality. There are a lot of bands - all mentioned on this thread - who DESERVE to get in, but won't because of the way the system is set up.

We're not talking about letting Eddie Money and Loverboy in, we're talking some of the most iconic artists EVER, but they don't have a chance. That's not right. That also seriously hurts the credibility of the R&RHOF.
Yup I agree. Sadly though that is not the case at all.

Actually a good example, which I have used before, is how fucked up the baseball hall of fame is. Buck O'Neil not getting in, that was tragic. But one of the arguments I have is closers. The voters bitch about the save and how a closer can't get in to the hall. They don't count the stat! It is that simple. Or the DH...get rid of it. End the argument.

No excuse for a lot of the bands listed a few pages back to not be in the hall.
Old 09-26-08, 02:35 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lastyear
[Vanilla Fudge]You gotta be kidding? One of the worst bands ever. Their whole schtick was just to slow everything down. Their Beat Goes On record is probably the most pretentious drivel ever recorded.
By most accounts that album pretty much killed them. It happens. Remember that I'm talking more about their sound. I know that much of their output was psychedelic covers.

As I say, the band's sound has to have influenced the development of hard/heavy/prog rock. As well as the slowed down grunge-y sound, I think they pioneeered the organ before Deep Purple and other such bands.

Alongside Ginger Baker and Keith Moon, I think Carmine Appice was a pretty influential drummer. Not particularly relevant, but did you know that Appice co-wrote "D'Ya Think I'm Sexy?" and "Young Turks" for Rod Stewart? And I think he and Bogert were quite successful in both Cactus and Beck, Bogert and Appice.

Anyway, tis just a thought
Old 09-26-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nothingfails
I wonder if the "rock snobs" realize how much people laugh at them. There is far more to rock than AC/DC and Metallica.
Yes, rock snobs only like AC/DC and Metallica.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.