Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone buy vinyl here?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Does anyone buy vinyl here?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-08, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone else here have a Half Priced Books? (not to be confused with Half.com). They have "Vinyl Night"'s often and a fantastic clearance section. Also, unlike a lot of other bins I go to, they seem to get 90's and recent albums as well, I picked up the 3-record Michael Jackson HIStory box for $14.99 the other day there (and I see it going for >$100 on sites like GEMM).
Old 09-20-08, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I've been buying quite a few records over the past few years.

I have a rather extensive collection of punk and heavy metal LPs. The worst thing is trying to find records and jackets in decent condition. Dollar bins are fun to dig through to find a diamond in the rough, but generally most of the records I find there are scratched and the covers are ringed, tatterd, bent, stained, and occasionally reek of cat piss.

There's actually quite a bit of older stuff that's being reissued on vinyl. Recently picked up the Circle Jerks' "Group Sex," "Ramones," and Suicidal Tendencies first album at Hot Topic. (No, I'm proud that I shop at Hot Topic.)
Old 09-20-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The worst thing is trying to find records and jackets in decent condition. Dollar bins are fun to dig through to find a diamond in the rough, but generally most of the records I find there are scratched and the covers are ringed, tatterd, bent, stained, and occasionally reek of cat piss.
oh I agree, I inspect every single clearance bin find I pick up before deciding to get it, I am surprised some of the poor condition crap they buy back, especially considering how anal retentive most places are at buying back used cd's and DVD's, but your cat clawed its way through your old Pat Benatar records and they're quick to buy it back.

I notice this at a place called Book And Music Exchange, they're anal when it comes to scratched CD's and DVD's, but their 99 cent vinyl stacks are generally scratched to hell and back (even tho I did find a EX condition copy of Tattoo You in there)
Old 09-21-08, 12:05 AM

I too hate to say that I shop and check out Hot Topic, but they do get some vinyl that Rasputin doesn't get here in town, and a little cheeper sometimes. I never really check the $1 bins at Rasputin because most of the stuff is banged up or to scratched to play. The same goes for most of the Goodwills here in town, but I did happen upon a copy of Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass's Whipped Cream and Other Delights with a clean cover and wasn't scratched which I picked up.
Old 09-21-08, 01:03 AM

i still buy vinyl when it's available and the fact that alot of labels are including cds/digital downloads w/ the vinyl make the decision much easier--just picked up the damien jurado lp last week

there's a really good record store in lawrence,ks Love Garden Sounds and a couple of friends of mine run Needmore Discs in Shawnee,KS and they've been getting more & more vinyl in....also,Half Priced Books is a great place to look for old stuff---i picked up just about every early REM lp and even found a couple of Felt lps cheap