Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

OASIS attacked at V-Fest Toronto

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

OASIS attacked at V-Fest Toronto

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
I hate people at sports who aren't watching the game too - however at something like that, YOU CAN TALK because it's a more VISUAL experience - whereas CONCERTS ARE AURAL & VISUAL. If you're chatting the whole time, it fucks it up. If you were at a MOVIE and did the same, you'd get bounced the fuck out of there...and movies only cost $10, not $100.
I agree. People don't like people who talk during movies and usually yell for them to shut up... what's the difference at a concert except you're seeing these people in the flesh?

Those spoiled fratboys and their drunk girlfriends probably had rich parents who bought them Police tickets and I have no reason why those people went there even if they don't like their music at all. It ruined the show for those of us who came there to see Sting, Stewart and Andy onstage together for the first time in nearly 25 years and wanted to hear all the classics. If you buy tickets to a concert, it should be because you're a fan of the artist and can't wait to see them in the flesh and hear their music. When I go to concerts, I am not there to please my friends who I go with, I am there to see the artist and listen to the music and sing along and enjoy the 2 hours or however long I get to spend with them. Hell, my ex and I both love Prince and we got 11th row seats to see him when we were dating and we spent the whole time focusing on Prince because he's why we went there, the only times we talked during the show was "look, that's Sheila E on the drums", "holy shit, you're right!!". That's one thing to talk about at a concert. Being rowdy and screaming a pointless conversation to each other is another.

Last edited by nothingfails; 09-09-08 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-09-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by nothingfails
I agree. People don't like people who talk during movies and usually yell for them to shut up... what's the difference at a concert except you're seeing these people in the flesh?

Those spoiled fratboys and their drunk girlfriends probably had rich parents who bought them Police tickets and I have no reason why those people went there even if they don't like their music at all. It ruined the show for those of us who came there to see Sting, Stewart and Andy onstage together for the first time in nearly 25 years and wanted to hear all the classics. If you buy tickets to a concert, it should be because you're a fan of the artist and can't wait to see them in the flesh and hear their music. When I go to concerts, I am not there to please my friends who I go with, I am there to see the artist and listen to the music and sing along and enjoy the 2 hours or however long I get to spend with them. Hell, my ex and I both love Prince and we got 11th row seats to see him when we were dating and we spent the whole time focusing on Prince because he's why we went there, the only times we talked during the show was "look, that's Sheila E on the drums", "holy shit, you're right!!". That's one thing to talk about at a concert. Being rowdy and screaming a pointless conversation to each other is another.
Excellent points. I think I said three things to my bro on Saturday:

"So what can I expect from Nerophagist?"
"The singer for Suffocation has never been to Walmart"
"Carcass is awesome!"

Another wise I enjoyed the show. Plenty of morons chatting away in front of me, thankfully I couldn't hear them. No fighting either, amazing because it was Carcass and it was in New York, where morons from all around come to "fuck shit up" as a guy once said when I was in Irving Plaza.

The thing that gets me at shows is that guy who yells out "you suck" to the band. Wait a second, you paid to get in hear to yell that to them? Who do you think wins the battle there? I mean really? Really? I guess if that is how you want to spend your money, don't let me stop you.
Old 09-09-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by macnorton
Excellent points. I think I said three things to my bro on Saturday:

"So what can I expect from Nerophagist?"
"The singer for Suffocation has never been to Walmart"
"Carcass is awesome!"

Another wise I enjoyed the show. Plenty of morons chatting away in front of me, thankfully I couldn't hear them. No fighting either, amazing because it was Carcass and it was in New York, where morons from all around come to "fuck shit up" as a guy once said when I was in Irving Plaza.

The thing that gets me at shows is that guy who yells out "you suck" to the band. Wait a second, you paid to get in hear to yell that to them? Who do you think wins the battle there? I mean really? Really? I guess if that is how you want to spend your money, don't let me stop you.
I think if you're going to a concert just to talk to your friends, you should buy nosebleed seats and leave the higher end tickets to those who are really going to enjoy the concert. I saw The Stones with my dad in nosebleeds, and while I disliked all the people doing everything but paying attention to the band, it didn't irk me as much as when I was in FIFTH FREAKING ROW at The Police to have a bunch of spoiled brats just spend the whole concert hanging out and talking loudly. There are many people who love the band who would've appreciated those seats much better than they did. They should've been far back if they weren't going to give the band any attention.
Old 09-09-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Yeah, wanna chit chat? Go chill in the lobby or in the beer or smoking area. Let the rest of us enjoy the show. One may not think talking to your buddies is a problem, but since most shows are so loud, at least the ones I attend, it's a given that you MUST YELL to even have a conversation. And if it's quiet enough to hear your chatty friend without yelling, then it's quiet enough for you to annoy the hell out of others.

Not all of us go to shows Buzzed or High so please don't assume people around you won't be annoyed by loud socializing.

During one of the RUSH shows I went to last year this prick who was apparently a musician, felt the need to explain everything RUSH was doing as far their playing and equipment throughout the whole damn show. It was working my nerves and taking away from my enjoyment. And mind you, I WORE FOAM EARPLUGS and I still heard this asshole trying to be mister know it all.
Old 09-09-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All these chit-chatters are also ruining otherwise great live show recordings that more and more bands are allowing to be shared.
Old 09-09-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I think my minidisc recorder comes with some sort of short-range noisy asshole activator. Every time I bring it to a show there's always a few groups of people nearby who feel the need to shout inane crap about their jobs, etc. at each other.

I'm seeing Spiritualized tonight and I'm sure I'll manage to find the loud friend reunion zone.
Old 09-09-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think everyone who hates annoying talkers at concerts will get a kick out of this Tori Amos clip:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T8H13XmvstA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T8H13XmvstA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm not a huge Tori fan (I like some of her stuff but never truly fell in love with her like a lot of people did) but I thought what she did was truly amazing and the audience loved it. She told two girls who spent the whole time talking loudly and off-topic in the front row to get the hell out of her concert and the audience erupted in applause. You tell 'em Tori!
Old 09-09-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Boy, they must have turned down the volume on recent concerts. In the days of my youth you would have to yell directly into the ear of the person next to you to be barely heard, and still would have to wait for a song to end to repeat what you said because they didn't hear you. We communicated with looks that expressed, "kick ass" or "awesome", etc. Even afterwards, walking to the car, you couldn't make out what each other were saying because all you could hear was the ringing in your ears.
Old 09-09-08, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
Boy, they must have turned down the volume on recent concerts. In the days of my youth you would have to yell directly into the ear of the person next to you to be barely heard, and still would have to wait for a song to end to repeat what you said because they didn't hear you. We communicated with looks that expressed, "kick ass" or "awesome", etc. Even afterwards, walking to the car, you couldn't make out what each other were saying because all you could hear was the ringing in your ears.
I think the sound level in concerts have come down a bit, I suppose because a generation of rock fans (and people like Pete Townshend and Phil Collins) now suffer permanent hearing loss. Most concerts I've been into the past five years or so, you could hear people behind you if they talk. Unless it's a really loud concert.
Old 09-09-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm all for enjoying a concert, provided you're not impinging on anyone else's good time. I know we may not all enjoy shows in the same way, but there should be (notice I said SHOULD because it's obvious it doesn't exist) some sort of common sense guidelines that govern what does and doesn't bother others.

Your drunk babbling about what's going on in your personal life, your loud conversation about how cute an artist is (yes, I've been around too many of that type of girl at a show), especially loud enough for said artist to hear, or your need to scream at the artist to get their attention to get a finger point/recognition (in your mind) does not contribute to me being able to enjoy the music.

Your need to scream or hoot right as an artist gets to a particular part in the song where they stop playing instruments and is singing a capella, rendering the artist's voice almost completely inaudible doesn't help in the least.

People who feel the need to get completely obliterated while standing at the front of the venue, who subsequently are making beer runs every 2-3 songs and them must trudge back through the sardine-like packed crowd, bumping into people, spilling beer, and not even apologizing or saying "excuse me" infuriate me.

I absolutely LOVE the live concert experience. But some people/actions can turn an otherwise incredible musical experience into a wait for the night to end just to escape the madness.

I suppose there is some level of responsibility one must accept for being easily annoyed. (And also for going out to an event with Joe Q. Public.) However, just the tiniest bit of decorum/common sense can enable EVERYONE to have a good time, not just your selfish ass.
Old 09-09-08, 11:13 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by GoVegan
I think my minidisc recorder comes with some sort of short-range noisy asshole activator. Every time I bring it to a show there's always a few groups of people nearby who feel the need to shout inane crap about their jobs, etc. at each other.

I'm seeing Spiritualized tonight and I'm sure I'll manage to find the loud friend reunion zone.
This shit has always perplexed me. It's more effort, it's rude, and tickets usually are not cheap, and still, plenty of people do it.

"HEY MAN, ARE WE GOING TO THE MALL TOMORROW?"
"YEAH, WANNA GET PRETZELS AND GO TO FOOTLOCKER?"
"YEAH"
Old 09-10-08, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Used to be a huge Oasis fan in the 90s, bought about 10 of their concert bootlegs back then for about $20 a pop online when there was no other way to get them. But I mean the gallagher brothers seem like dirt bags especially liam and pretty much should expect more stuff like this. They mouth off a little bit too much and have a pretty poor outlook on life
Old 09-10-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah they can act like douches, but they have changed quite a bit over the last few years and grown up a lot... sure Noel is still outspoken (Jay-Z anyone?) but not as much as in the early years. For anyone interested, they played a few NEW songs before the incident and if they're any indication 'Dig Out Your Soul' is going to be EXCELLENT.
Old 09-10-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah, wanna chit chat? Go chill in the lobby or in the beer or smoking area. Let the rest of us enjoy the show. One may not think talking to your buddies is a problem, but since most shows are so loud, at least the ones I attend, it's a given that you MUST YELL to even have a conversation. And if it's quiet enough to hear your chatty friend without yelling, then it's quiet enough for you to annoy the hell out of others.
Go figure, that was what we always did when the show was getting bad or the opening bands were not that good. We left to get beer and shoot the shit in the lobby or concourse.

I have had 2 occasions were I just could not deal with it and spoke up. Many years ago at a Rod Stewart show during a ballad these girls would not shut up and were yelling as if the volume was still loud. They were not happy with my suggestion.

At a Journey show about 7 years ago, two girls loudly yapping on their cell phones. Was a close one (thank god since I would have lost that fight) as their boyfriends were none too pleased with my request to "shut the fuck up already"
Old 09-10-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
So Noel is now comparing this attack to John Lennon's assassination.

Sympathy, falling...
Old 09-10-08, 04:17 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Reminded me so much of the Ian Brown getting rushed by a guy here in SF.

End result in this case was the bouncer getting his head beat in by the band

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Pf1rMtEqo0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Pf1rMtEqo0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-10-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to agree with everything that's been said about people at concerts. I think I've been kinda lucky with who's been sitting next to me with the ones I've been to. Though it seems like most of the time my friends and I are the only ones that know the words to songs. They should just sell concert tickets through fan websites.
Old 09-13-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

slop101: yeah, that's quite a stretch he's going for there. However, as pointed out by Giantrobo, since Dimebag Darrell's onstage assassination a few years ago, some guy rushing the stage with the intent to attack a performer is a scary thought, and should be something that security is ready for.

SeekOnce: come on now, who's bodysurfing in the pit? Isn't there just a lack of....I dunno....surface area to surf upon? What with all the bodies running around.

Honestly though, with the annoying chatty asshole factor, I enjoy getting floor seats where there are no seats. Some loud asshole behind me? I'll quickly move away. Someone too tall in front? Just shift over a few steps.

And speaking of the assholes who like to scream during quiet or a capella moments, it reminds me of Iron Maiden's "Live After Death," with the genius screaming mother f'er at the end of the song (was it Rime of the Ancient Mariner?).

Another moment like that recorded for all time is on Opeth's dvd "Lamentations" where some guy can be heard multiple times shrieking at a very high pitch. I just KNOW I would have hating that guy something furious if I were attending that show.

End of babble on....