Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Keane single

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Keane single

Keane is offering a free download of their new single at their website. Well, actually you'll have to enter your email address for the link.

www.keanemusic.com

I dig it: pretty catchy.
Old 08-08-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like it. It reminds me of mid-1980's ABC
Old 08-09-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts
It is catchy, but I doubt I would have recognized it as Keane. That doesn't give me a great feeling about the upcoming album, and I'm a big fan of the first two (as well as most of the "B-sides" on the EPs).
Old 08-09-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
God, this is awful. Keane has just so lost it. Yes, it reminds one of a mid-80's ABC type of tune but executed very poorly and blandly.

Sad to see a band who released one of the classic/brilliant album debuts of this decade (Hopes and Fears) - followed by a lackluster sophomore album - and now 'spiralling' even farther down the pop culture hole.

This new single choice and decision to release it gratis strategy will certainly flop.

AARGH!
Old 08-09-08, 10:47 PM

What the hell did I just listen to?
Old 08-10-08, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow. I am a huge Keane fan and even I have to admit that sucked. Also, make sure you turn the volume down before playing, I nearly blew my eardrums out.
Old 08-10-08, 07:46 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan1boy
. . . Sad to see a band who released one of the classic/brilliant album debuts of this decade (Hopes and Fears) - followed by a lackluster sophomore album - and now 'spiralling' even farther down the pop culture hole. . .
I very much agree with your classic/brilliant comments for their debut Hopes and Fears. However, Under The Iron Sea was far from lackluster IMO.
Old 08-10-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I really hope no other songs on the new album sound like that.
Old 08-10-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think right now, Keane are at a point where they have to evolve, or turn into 3 Doors Down/Matchbox 20. It's just like Coldplay's last album divided a lot of fans because some people wished it was another ARUBTTH, but they had to evolve to remain relevant. Keane's formula worked on the first album, but the second album was disappointing to a lot of people. A new sound and a new producer is just what the doctor ordered. You already have Mariah Carey and Nickelback if you want to hear the same album you bought three years ago, and two years before that, and two years before that.
Old 08-11-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
First of all, thanks to Draven6593 for giving us the link. I'm a member of Keane's email list, and they recently send out a newsletter telling us to "watch for a surprise", but they didn't elaborate.

As for the song... I hated it the first time I listened to it. But then I listened to it again. And again. And again. It's pretty catchy, even if it's not what I'd think of when you say the name "Keane".

I guess I agree with nothingfails: Keane has to evolve one way or another. If they didn't, I'd probably be in here bitching about how their new album sounds just like "Hopes and Fears" (great album though it is).
Old 10-06-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts
Full album now available for streaming on last.fm:

http://www.last.fm/music/keane/Perfect+Symmetry
Old 10-07-08, 09:20 AM

Well, I hated Keane before, and I like that single. Guess i'm in the minority!
Old 10-07-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
I hated the song at first. But like it now.

Update: I just listened to the album via the link above. And upon first listen, I thought it was terrible.
Gone are the subtle and nice melodies from their first two albums. Everything is so forced and overproduced.
The lead singer doesn't even sound the same. The only two tracks that are remotely close to the same
sound as anything they've done before are the final two songs. And if you thought the first single was bad,
just wait until you hear track #3, "Better Than This". How that got past the demo stage is beyond me.
Just an awful song. Look, I'm all for evolving. But you don't completely abandon your signature style
and sound. I have a feeling this album will alienate and turn off half if not more of their fans.

Last edited by Daytripper; 10-07-08 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-08-08, 08:04 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
. . . Gone are the subtle and nice melodies from their first two albums . . .
As rather huge fan of their work, this would be tragic.
Old 10-08-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JAA
As rather huge fan of their work, this would be tragic.
Listen to the album free on the link above. You'll see what I mean.
Old 10-08-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not a fan. Not a fan at all.
Old 10-08-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy_Harn
Not a fan. Not a fan at all.

Of the new album? Or them in general?
Old 10-08-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
the album is terrible, barely got through track #4...totally agree with Daytripper except for the part of liking the song now....
Old 10-08-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
the album is terrible, barely got through track #4...totally agree with Daytripper except for the part of liking the song now....

I do believe this album could be career suicide for Keane. The British music buying public are far less forgiving and more fickle than us Yanks. And I'm actually quite anxious to hear how this is greeted by their music critics. File this under: what the fuck were they thinking!?
Old 10-09-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do believe this album could be career suicide for Keane. The British music buying public are far less forgiving and more fickle than us Yanks. And I'm actually quite anxious to hear how this is greeted by their music critics. File this under: what the fuck were they thinking!?
They were thinking that the Killers were good and thought that was a good sound to rip off. WRONG on both accounts.
Old 10-09-08, 12:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I betcha NME will give it a number rating of less than 3
Old 10-09-08, 06:09 PM

I like the new cd and I'm a BIG FAN of theres. I had to listen to the cd 2 times before I really started to get into it. Although 1 or 2 of the songs sound like remix versions . I would still rate the cd a Solid B
Old 10-09-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Of the new album? Or them in general?
The album. "Hopes and Fears" is brilliant, an album I'll probably listen to for the rest of my life. "Under the Iron Sea" has some good tunes, as does a few of their singles (namely "Snowed Under" and "On a Day Like Today").

The new album doesn't even seem like the same band.
Old 10-10-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy_Harn
The album. "Hopes and Fears" is brilliant, an album I'll probably listen to for the rest of my life. "Under the Iron Sea" has some good tunes, as does a few of their singles (namely "Snowed Under" and "On a Day Like Today").

The new album doesn't even seem like the same band.
I know. And I've had more than one person online telling me it's a "grower" and that they hated it too at first. I'm sorry, but I just don't ever see me warming up to this. I just hated everything about it upon first listen. I even hate the album cover. Heh.
Old 10-12-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just found this. The NME review. Yeah, just as I suspected.

Perfect Symmetry

Oct 10, 2008

Reviewing Keane is always a tricky business. Any sort of faint praise and we get our hands cut off for being traitors to the punk rock cause, but if we give them a proper bashing we’re boorish and predictable. There’s no denying that they’ve had more hits than most, but that’s like judging how many Nobel Prizes you’ve won in comparison to Barry Chuckle: it’s meaningless.

So what have they pulled out of the bag this time? Shite all. This is the same as every other Keane album, so don’t be fooled into thinking they’re reformed characters because of that confusingly funky ’80s-style single. It’s the first track and it’s all downhill after that (insert ‘Spiralling’ pun here). OK, so it worked for Mystery Jets, and now people don’t think they live in a commune and eat out of bins anymore, but somehow Keane just make it all sound sinister. There’s a song called ‘Black Burning Heart’, for God’s sake. And another one called ‘Love Is The End’. Musically, they’ve ripped off swathes of things contemporary and popular to make them ‘hip’, but it just feels like some dodgy old guy at a bus stop telling you he digs Klaxons. “I absolutely do not care what is considered to be fashionable or cool or tasteful – it’s much more about following our own instincts,” bleats Tim Rice-Waterhouse-Oxley or whatever the fuck he’s called. That’s fine, granddad. We’re not listening.

Rebecca Robinson
Rating: 2 out of 10

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.