Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Artists that least disappoint their fanbases

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Artists that least disappoint their fanbases

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by brokenhanger
Which is funny, because I thought "With Teeth" was a HUGE step up from "The Fragile" [which I liked parts of but found overall not very good], and then later that "Year Zero" was the worst POS he's ever attached his name to. "The Slip" is a slight step up, but at this point I'm officially done with NIN.

I'd even go as far as to say that I enjoy "With Teeth" as much as, if not slightly more than, "Pretty Hate Machine".
I somewhat agree with you - to say that With Teeth was a huge step up from the Fragile is pushing it though. I love With Teeth and it's right next to "The Slip" as being my fav from NIN.

I think many fans are divided with NIN's new route so I guess I should consider myself lucky that I like the change.
Old 08-16-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I think Aerosmith manages to keep their fans pretty happy.

Sure, you could argue that their post-drug albums and style are a far cry from the 70's material, but at the same time its a style that brought them to even higher levels of popularity than they had originally.

On top of that, they always bring it in concert. Say what you want about the recordings, but in concert they're pretty hard to touch.
Old 08-16-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rival11
I somewhat agree with you - to say that With Teeth was a huge step up from the Fragile is pushing it though. I love With Teeth and it's right next to "The Slip" as being my fav from NIN.

I think many fans are divided with NIN's new route so I guess I should consider myself lucky that I like the change.

A step up from The Fragile? How is that possible? I love The Fragile for the scope of the record, if for no other reason.

Then again, if I had to rank them...(Depends on my mood)

1: The Fragile

2: The Downward Spiral

3: Broken

4: Pretty Hate Machine

5: The Slip

6: Year Zero

7: With Teeth

That of course is not including any live albums or remix albums, as I do love Further Down the Spiral (JP edition).
Old 08-17-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKing
I think Aerosmith manages to keep their fans pretty happy.

Sure, you could argue that their post-drug albums and style are a far cry from the 70's material, but at the same time its a style that brought them to even higher levels of popularity than they had originally.

On top of that, they always bring it in concert. Say what you want about the recordings, but in concert they're pretty hard to touch.
They have a lawsuit against them right now for cancelling a Hawaii show in favor of entertaining some Toyota people - because it paid more. Fans aren't happy and want to be reimbursed for plane tickets and such. Don't blame them.
Old 08-17-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts
Who flies to Hawaii to see Aerosmith anyway? How many fans are included in this lawsuit?
Old 08-18-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingINClip
Then again, if I had to rank them...(Depends on my mood)

1: The Fragile

2: The Downward Spiral

3: Broken

4: Pretty Hate Machine

5: The Slip

6: Year Zero

7: With Teeth
Get out of my head please, kthx.
Old 08-18-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Type O Negative.

They have 2 distinct sounds (goth/gloom and punkish) that they consistently play on each album. They always do something new with their sound but they never stray too far from what works. Their morbid sense of humor is always intact during their live shows (which, admittedly, have been getting a tad stale lately).
Old 08-18-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pearl Jam - I just bought a CD of the concert I went to back in June. There is no other band that treats their fans better.

Led Zeppelin - sells their music out for commercials but when genuine fans want to use their music in their films they shun them away. (Richard Linklater - Dazed & Confused, who eventually got Led to let them use music for School of Rock after Jack Black sent them video of himself begging them)
Old 08-18-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Led Zeppelin - sells their music out for commercials but when genuine fans want to use their music in their films they shun them away. (Richard Linklater - Dazed & Confused, who eventually got Led to let them use music for School of Rock after Jack Black sent them video of himself begging them)
They allow Cameron Crowe to use their music - "Kashmir" in Fast Times at Ridgemont High (incorrectly chosen by Rat) and several tracks in Almost Famous.
Old 08-19-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the first Zeppelin song in a commercial was several years after Dazed & Confused.
Old 08-19-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts
AFAIK, the only commercial featuring Zep is the Cadillac campaign from a few years back. It was around the same time as the Puff Daddy nonsense.