Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

R.I.P. Robert Hazard

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

R.I.P. Robert Hazard

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
R.I.P. Robert Hazard

Robert "Escalator Of Life" Hazard has passed away.
Always loved that song, but I never realized he wrote Lauper's 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun'.

From CNN.com
'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' writer dies

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- Robert Hazard, a songwriter and musician from Philadelphia who wrote the 1983 Cyndi Lauper hit "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun," has died. He was 59.

Hazard died Tuesday after a brief illness, his record label, Rykodisc, said in a statement. His wife, Susan, told The Philadelphia Inquirer her husband died unexpectedly after surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

Hazard, born Robert Rimato, led the band Robert Hazard and the Heroes, a fixture in Philadelphia clubs through the mid-1980s. In his autobiography, he wrote that he got his big break in 1982 when music journalist Kurt Loder, who was in town to review a Rolling Stones concert, happened to stop into a bar where he was performing.

His song "Escalator of Life" became a hit soon after.

Recently, he has played country music with a band called The Hombres. His latest album, "Troubadour," was released in October.

In recent years, Hazard and his wife ran an antique shop near their home in Old Forge, New York.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 08-07-08 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-07-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's awful. RIP. I never would have known if you hadn't posted this. While "Escalator..." is a great song, I prefer even more the tune "Chain Reaction" from that EP.

edit... actually, the tune is called "Change Reaction"

Last edited by atlantamoi; 08-08-08 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-09-08, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can Miley Cyrus be charged? Odd timing it's like a week after her remake of Girls Just Want To Have Fun was released and I think her covering one of your songs is probably the worst thing any songwriter would have to deal with
Old 08-09-08, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingfails
Can Miley Cyrus be charged? Odd timing it's like a week after her remake of Girls Just Want To Have Fun was released and I think her covering one of your songs is probably the worst thing any songwriter would have to deal with

Even though the song in question is probably the biggest turd in the history of popular music?
Old 08-10-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
Even though the song in question is probably the biggest turd in the history of popular music?
all is a matter of opinion, you hate female artists and you hate the 80's... of course you're gonna hate Cyndi Lauper, she's not red state enough