Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Lindsey Buckingham's "Gift of Screws" - 9/16/08

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-31-08, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

This was referenced a while ago in another thread. Apparently, "Gift of Screws" is an unreleased Buckingham album from the '90s, of which bootlegs have been floating around.

It's finally being officially released on Sept. 16 ( www.lindseybuckingham.com ), but I don't know if it's the new Buckingham album that was rumoured to be in the pipeline for '08. I guess so. Looking forward to it, as I never checked out the bootleg.
Old 08-01-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was under the assumption most of the songs originally slated for "Gift of Screws" landed up on "Say You Will" with Fleetwood Mac. I have a few of the songs, and they don't sound all that different. Regardless, I can't wait for more from Lindsey!
Old 08-01-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hi, reverie. I believe you were the one who brought up this album in another thread. I also remember the majority of the songs on the bootleg being familiar, which is why I didn't investigate it further last time. But, if you look at the song listing on his website, all of the material is new as far as I can tell:

Gift of Screws Track List:
1. Great Day
2. Time Precious Time
3. Did You Miss Me
4. Wait For You
5. Love Runs Deeper
6. Bel Air Rain
7. The Right Place To Fade
8. Gift Of Screws
9. Underground
10. Treason
Old 08-01-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
His last album, Under the Skin was absolutely brilliant. One of the best albums of this decade. Probably the best thing he's ever done. I have the bootleg Gift Of Screws which includes a lot of tunes from Under the Skin. I will definitely check this out.
Old 08-01-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lindsey will be touring with The Mac again next year
Old 08-01-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar
His last album, Under the Skin was absolutely brilliant. One of the best albums of this decade.
It is fantastic, though I prefer Out of the Cradle. I loved his cover of Donovan's "To Try for the Sun".
Old 08-02-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like the only similarities between this release and the bootleg is the album title. The track listing is quite different.
Old 08-02-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Looks like the only similarities between this release and the bootleg is the album title. The track listing is quite different.
True, which is a good thing, although I don't know why he elected to recycle the title.
Old 08-04-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Hi, reverie. I believe you were the one who brought up this album in another thread.
It's possible, I know the title of the album has been around for a long, long time! So is this his "rock" album he talked about following last year's slower piece?

I agree that I enjoy "Out of the Cradle" more than "Under The Skin". Actually, it's probably my most favorite of his so far.

Also neat he'll be touring with FM.. I have yet to see them, but I'm not as excited without Christine though. Lindsey's going to be touring, but I can't see spending almost as much to see him as I did on Elvis Costello & The Police combined!