Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Billy Joel Reissues Thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Billy Joel Reissues Thread

Old 07-07-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
I posted on the first page : The Amazon description is wrong. It's based on inital specs that were later changed. You can see both by the picture of the items in the set and by the track listings that it's a 2CD + 1 DVD set.

They're going to have some mighty pissed customers when the set comes out. On the other side of the coin, if you bought that from them, you'd have an airtight case to return it at Amazon's expense.
I did catch that, my bad. I was just hoping they were implying they have an exclusive extra CD as well.

...looks like the BB route is the best way to go.
Old 07-08-08, 12:51 PM

so who has gotten it already?
Old 07-08-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Picked it up at BB today. Spinning the original album, and it sounds good.

I wish they'd offer all re-issues in a format like this
Old 07-09-08, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts
Bought the Best Buy for 29.99 + tax. They refused to price match Target or CC. There is a review on Amazon that someone received a 2 cd/1 dvd box from Amazon rather then the 3 cd that still is advertised as of this moment & they're furious.
Old 07-09-08, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
No box set at either CC or Target today for me. Will pick it up at Best Buy tomorrow.

FYI : The bonus DVD at Target has 5 songs on it.
2 were from Live in Long Island
1 from Live in Lenningrad
1 from Live at Yankee Stadium
1 from Live fron the River of Dreams
Old 07-09-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I picked up the box from BB yesterday. So far I'm about 3/4 of the way through disc two and loving it. I'm really debating on the Target exclusive as well for the Long Island stuff.. is this on DVD yet? That was a great video.
Old 07-09-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 325 Likes on 173 Posts
Did anyone happen to notice if Target is selling the box set and for what price? If so, did it come with the 5 song DVD like with the regular CD set?
Old 07-10-08, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by sportsfan64
Did anyone happen to notice if Target is selling the box set and for what price? If so, did it come with the 5 song DVD like with the regular CD set?
I checked one local Target and they didn't carry it. Besides, the DVD is priced in its own tier as a Target exclusive, so even if they had the box set, it wouldn't come with that DVD.

Well, I gritted my teeth and bought the goddam box set at Best Buy for $29.99. It's the third time I've bought The Stranger on CD and the fourth time overall (1981-cassette, 1986 - CD, 2005 - SACD, 2008 - CD box set). It's getting old.

Anyway, a few thoughts : It sounds great. So much richer and clearer than the original CD master. I did a back-to-back with the SACD. It's not entirely a fair comparison, 5.1 vs stereo. Still I think I like this new mix better. It's so crisp and full sounding. Nicely done.

The live disc is very good. I was surprised at how much the performances sounded like those in Songs In The Attic. This could be the companion piece to that album, though it was recorded four years earlier, the track listings are very similar except that this one features some hits as well. Nothing wrong with that and it's kind of fun to listen to the differences (the sax solo on this version of Miami 2017 is a nice surprise). The disc sounds very good. I was pleased to see that the disc was produced by Phil Ramone, since he hasn't produced a Billy Joel album since The Bridge . It's really a good live album. The big revelation for me : this is, to the best of my recollection, the very first time I've ever heard Billy Joel perform a live version of Just The Way You Are. My favorite song and he never performs it. It was nice to FINALLY hear him do it. It's also interesting hearing the rather subdued crowd reaction -- it hadn't been released yet.

The bonus disc certainly pales in comparison sonically. It sounds muddy and tinny, unfortunately. Still, it's interesting in that it was recorded after The Stranger was released and features four songs that aren't on the other live disc (only Just The Way You Are overlaps). If you're a fan of Get It Right The First Time, here's your only chance to hear it live. Despite the lousy sound, if you look at it as a limited, free bonus for collectors I'd say it's certainly worth seeking out at Best Buy. Too bad they couldn't have touched up the recording a bit.

The packaging is nice. Haven't read through the essay by David Fricke -- it's long. The pictures are nice and glossy. The really cool item is a photocopy replica of Billy's notebook with lyrics and album ideas in it. Some fascinating stuff in there. Did you know that Allentown was supposed to be part of "Italian Restaurant"? I had never heard that before and I've heard him talk repeatedly about the origin of that song. Also seeing his very wise decision to change the original opening lyric of Just The Way You Are from "Don't go changing/ Now that I know you" made me smile. A lot of the journal is unreadable scribble, all crossed out, but still it's a pretty fun bonus. I actually think I prefer one lyric in the original version of Movin' Out "He works at Mister Cachetori's down on Sullivan Street/ Where everyone goes on a bender".

Haven't watched the DVD. I'll post impressions once I have.

Last edited by Decker; 07-10-08 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-11-08, 01:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I wasn't sure which version to buy, but decided on the box set.

The live CD is great! Billy and the band are in top form.

The 30+ minute "making of" feature is good! I was glad that the promotional videos were "live" and not just set to the album tracks. I haven't watched the concert yet.

The bonus disc is nice, not the best quality, but the performances are great. I would have liked to have had a few extra tracks, but am at least happy that they only overlapped one song (which is great).

I hope that Billy Joel/Columbia will someday release a commercial version of the promotional two record set "Live in Japan" that is shown in the booklet for "The Stranger" set! That set list looks amazing! They show the front and back covers and all four sides of the set. They should have just included an order form to purchase it!
Old 07-12-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bullz-eye.com is wrong, JUST THE WAY YOU WERE was the first single off the album, NOT MOVIN OUT!

Also, it would be nice to include the 45 versions of JUST THE WAY YOU ARE and MOVIN OUT, only for completist sakes. (I like the 45 version of MOVIN OUT as it omits the motorcycle sound)
Old 07-12-08, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by salamander2
Also, it would be nice to include the 45 versions of JUST THE WAY YOU ARE and MOVIN OUT, only for completist sakes. (I like the 45 version of MOVIN OUT as it omits the motorcycle sound)
SACRELIGE!!!!! The motorcycle is essential to the track. Ok, at least it should be on the album version. There's no need to include radio edits ever. They're moronic and insulting; heck, Billy even sings as much in The Entertainer.

Just got to watch the Old Grey Whistle Test show. I think it's great. It's amazing that it looks as good as it does. Yeah the reds bleed and metal on the mic stands cause fuzzy shadows, but overall it's amazingly sharp for a 1978 tv special shot on video. It sounds wonderful as well. Nice set list. It runs 46 minutes. I wish it were longer, but it is what it is.

The two promotional videos are more of what I was expecting. They look like crap. Still it's nice to have on disc and at least they're live performances and aren't embarrassing (picked up the ABBA release and those music videos are laughable and just awful -- this was the pre-MTV era).

Last edited by Decker; 07-12-08 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-18-08, 11:56 PM

Well, not really "The Stranger"-related, but Billy Joel news nonetheless. I don't think I've ever been upset that I don't live in New York until tonight. This sounds completely awesome. I pray it's recorded and released on DVD (or even better, Blu Ray) :

Billy Joel is in a Shea Stadium state of mind, playing ballpark's final concert

07-18-2008 9:37 PM
By JOSH HOFFNER, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (Associated Press) -- Billy Joel bade a stirring farewell to Shea Stadium on Friday during an electrifying, sold-out final show at the same ballpark where the Beatles famously ushered in a new era in rock 'n' roll four decades ago.

He was joined by an all-star lineup of friends including Paul McCartney, who told Joel, "Came here a long time ago. We had a blast that night and we're having another one tonight."

"Good evening, Shea Stadium. Is this cool or what?" Joel told the crowd at the New York Mets' home field, which is to be razed after the baseball season to make way for a new stadium across the street.

"They're gonna be tearing this place down, but I wanna thank you ... for letting me do the best job in the world," he said.

The show paid homage to Shea's baseball glories, with Mets highlights playing on jumbo screens during "Zanzibar." But the concert also was a mark of the stadium's place in music history.

The show came 43 years after the Beatles' legendary show at Shea _ the first concert at the ballpark. The concert came at the height of Beatlemania and demonstrated the sheer power of rock 'n' roll and the Beatles: 55,000 screaming fans at a U.S. ballpark was virtually unheard-of at the time, and the show gave the Fab Four even more cachet among the Beatle-crazed American public.

Joel has always strongly embraced his New York and Long Island roots, and that makes for memory-making concerts every time he plays in the city. Throngs of fans know his music so well they can pretty much take over any chorus they like.

And as if the "Piano Man" playing the last concert at Shea wasn't thrilling enough, high-wattage guests turned up the excitement level.

Tony Bennett sang "New York State of Mind" with Joel on Friday, Aerosmith's Steven Tyler performed "Walk This Way," and Roger Daltrey of the Who did "My Generation. At the end of "My Generation," Joel smashed a guitar against the stage, breaking it in two.

McCartney came on at the end. He sang "I Saw Her Standing There" while on guitar and "Let It Be" on piano _ the last song of the night. Joel sat on top of piano and sang backup.

Garth Brooks appeared on stage earlier wearing a Mets jersey, and in the audience, one of Joel's famous fans _ ex-wife Christie Brinkley _ sang along, word for word, to the chorus of "She's Always a Woman."

During the first installment of Joel's "Last Play at Shea" on Wednesday, John Mellencamp came on stage to perform his hit "Pink Houses," and Don Henley underscored the baseball theme with his standard "Boys of Summer."

The Beatles and baseball shared the spotlight at the concerts. Joel played three Beatles songs ("A Hard Day's Night," "Please, Please Me" and "She Loves You") during Wednesday's set, and introduced his signature "Piano Man" with "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." He also played the national anthem to start the show.

"I want to thank the Beatles for letting us use their room. Best band that ever was, best band that ever will be," Joel told fans Wednesday.

Diane Gentile saw the Beatles play at Shea in 1966 _ their second visit to the stadium after the historic show a year earlier. Her recollection of that summer night 42 years ago: "Oh, my God, there are the Beatles on that stage, and here am I."

"It was unbelievable. It was exciting; you could feel the electricity. Right before the concert we were singing `Happy Anniversary' to John because his anniversary was that day," Gentile recalled.

On Friday, Gentile was back at Shea to watch Joel for what she predicted would be the best concert she'll ever see.

___

Associated Press writer Frank Eltman contributed to this report.

Last edited by Decker; 07-18-08 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-19-08, 12:17 AM

that does sound awesome and like you, I hope they release a video
Old 07-19-08, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by civiclx
that does sound awesome and like you, I hope they release a video
Good news! From the LA Times on 7/16/08:

Billy Joel will play the final notes at Shea on Friday in a performance to be documented for a film and DVD titled "Last Play at Shea," slated for release next year. Several guest artists are expected at the concert, which is one of only a handful that have been held at Shea in the 43 years since the Beatles played
Old 07-19-08, 11:04 AM

awesome thanks for the link!! hey decker do you own any imported stuff from Billy Joel? I'm not sure if I already asked you or not so if I did, I apologize for asking again
Old 07-19-08, 03:56 PM

Yeah, I made a brief note in post #13.

As far as imports, I do have one import/bootleg. I found it in an independant record store in the mid-90s. It's called (ironically) "A Matter of Trust" and it is the soundtrack to the Yankee Stadium concert. That's the only one I own.
Old 07-20-08, 03:57 PM

oh that's right. I just ordered this one yesterday from a 3rd-party seller via amazon.

I already have all those songs on other cds but I thought it would be cool to have an import and it wasn't too expensive. They have quite a few different versions of this cd
So Many To Choose From
Old 07-21-08, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, I can't wait for that concert, it sounds great! Thanks for the info and heads-up!
Old 11-10-08, 09:48 AM

For those who were waiting on a better deal on this box set, it's at Costco along with their other Columbia box sets for $24.99. They will often have a coupon to make those box sets even cheaper.
Old 11-17-08, 02:25 AM
cck

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah, I made a brief note in post #13.

As far as imports, I do have one import/bootleg. I found it in an independant record store in the mid-90s. It's called (ironically) "A Matter of Trust" and it is the soundtrack to the Yankee Stadium concert. That's the only one I own.
A fan like yourself should really try to seek out the studio outtakes bootlegs that came out a few years back. IIRC there were three of them.

There are also a couple of boots from various Face to Face gigs with Elton.

Last edited by cck; 11-17-08 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11-17-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by cck

There are also a couple of boots from various Face to Face gigs with Elton.
I have a 3 discer from a Japan show, circa 1998. It's simply amazing. There should have been an official set out by now.
Old 11-17-08, 09:07 AM

I would love a copy of a Face To Face show. There was a filmed version on HBO way back when, but not only did it never get released on home video, I missed it on TV as well. I might like a copy of that show, but I so hate bad audio quality I doubt it would be worth a purchase for me.
Old 06-24-11, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Billy Joel Reissues Thread

Is the remastering on this reissue as bad as some of the reviews I've read?

You can buy this set on the secondary market at givaway prices, often less than $2.00 for it brand new.

Also of note, I just realized it's been 18 years since Joel's last studio album.

River Of Dreams - August of 1993.
Old 06-24-11, 03:16 PM

I think it sounds pretty good. I did a side-by-side comparison to my SACD copy when it came out and I liked the new master better. I can't comment on the whole "sound wars" thing, but it sounds nice, IMO. It's miles better than my old CD copy from the mid-eighties -- I just finally gave away that copy to my Mom when I moved last month, she'd never owned the album before and she loved it.

And yeah, it's been ages. When he sang "These are the last words I have to say. Until another age goes by", well I didn't really think he meant it as definitively as he apparently did. One mediocre pop song in the past 18 years. Man, what a waste of songwriting ability.

Last edited by Decker; 06-24-11 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-24-11, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

He did a great interview with Stern back in November where he said that he just doesn't have the drive anymore to keep making relevant music. He loves playing classical music at home and the hits on the road. At least he isn't putting out half-hearted albums every year, or covers of "The Great American Songbook".

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.