Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

are there any "deep cuts" on the 1st 11 Beach Boys albums that could have been a hit?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

are there any "deep cuts" on the 1st 11 Beach Boys albums that could have been a hit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-08, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between 1962 ("Surfin' Safari" album) and 1966 ("Pet Sounds" album), Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Dennis Wilson, Carl Wilson, and Al Jardaine made great music as The Beach Boys. They had a LOT of hit singles, and their albums sold very well, too (two #1's). Their No.1 singles include I Get Around (this song hit the summit on the Fourth of July, 1964), Help Me, Rhonda (1965) and Good Vibrations (1966).

I'm just wondering if there were some deep tracks on their albums that never had time to surface as a potential single due to them moving on so fast to the next album (can you imagine eleven albums in just under five years?!) Any hidden "nuggets" to dig up due to most people never hearing full albums of these 1960's groups - only hearing the singles?

On my own, I heard their cover of Then I Kissed Her (from the male perspective of the hit Then He Kissed Me) and dug it.
Old 06-16-08, 08:38 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttmunker
On my own, I heard their cover of Then I Kissed Her (from the male perspective of the hit Then He Kissed Me) and dug it.
That song actually was a hit. It got to #4 on the UK charts.
Old 06-16-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Surfin' Safari isn't a very good album. Sounds rough, like they recorded it in their basement or garage. Not missing anything. Surfin' USA is where everything comes together. Good surf record. Lots on instumentals. "Noble Surfer" has a hit song quality to it.
Little Deuce Coupe has Car Crazy Cutie, Cherry Cherry Coupe and Custom Machine. All solid hot rod songs.
All Summer Long has Drive-In and Girls On The Beach
Boogie Woodie on Surfer Girl
In The Parking Lot on Shutdown Vol. 2
One has a song called Amusement Parks U.S.A which is kinda like Palisades Park(to me anyway).
My interest is mainly in hot rod and surf instrumental from up to '65/66 and I've only heard the first six albums. Some of the slower stuff may be really good to a different ear.

BTW, Amazon has all the 2 fers at 9.99. Only $5 an album. Plus bonus tracks.
Old 06-16-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I was coming in here to post that. I tried to talk my wife into using it as our wedding song, seeing as we didn't have one. I lost out.

I think it definitely could have been a hit. I discovered it in their box set.
Old 06-16-08, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"All Summer Long" from the "All Summer Long" album might have made a good single. Maybe "Lonely Sea" from "Surfin' USA." Other than that, there are some good album cuts, but none that jump out as potential singles, or weren't at least released as B-sides (B-sides count because they had more than one two-sided hit).
Old 06-16-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Breton
"All Summer Long" from the "All Summer Long" album might have made a good single. Maybe "Lonely Sea" from "Surfin' USA." Other than that, there are some good album cuts, but none that jump out as potential singles, or weren't at least released as B-sides (B-sides count because they had more than one two-sided hit).
The song was out well before my time, but that song being on their many different "best of" or "hits" cds would suggest to me that it was a hit?
Old 06-16-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Girl Don't Tell Me" from SUMMER DAYS (AND NIGHTS) sounds like a hit to me. Maybe it was too reminiscent of "Ticket to Ride" to be a single, though.
Old 06-17-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I was going to say "Sloop John B" but I was not aware (until now) that it went to #3 and it wasn't even an original song by them.
Old 06-17-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
I was suprised to learn that "Barbara-Ann" isn't a Beach Boys original. Originally by a group called The Regents in '59/60.
Old 06-18-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I was going to say "Sloop John B" but I was not aware (until now) that it went to #3 and it wasn't even an original song by them.
I would laugh at you, except my wife - not two weeks ago - heard me playing Sloop John B on my iPod, and said, "what kind of song is that?!" (apparently she thought it was a novelty song or something), and I was very surprised by this, saying, "you never heard of this song?! It's like one of the Beach Boys' biggest hits ever!" Well, anyway, she had never heard it before two weeks ago, and I can sit back and say that not everything in life should be taken for granted. Then I slapped the shit out of her for being stupid.
Old 06-18-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
I was suprised to learn that "Barbara-Ann" isn't a Beach Boys original. Originally by a group called The Regents in '59/60.
This was a "surprise" hit, as they had intended another song for the lead single off the album "Beach Boys Party!" but it didn't do well, and this one kind of leaked out and took off, becoming a #2 hit (back when being a #2 hit meant something, unlike today).
Old 06-18-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
BEST deep BB cut is...

Originally Posted by Andalusia
"Girl Don't Tell Me" from SUMMER DAYS (AND NIGHTS) sounds like a hit to me. Maybe it was too reminiscent of "Ticket to Ride" to be a single, though.
Not at all!!! GIRL DON'T TELL ME stands on its own!!! Possibly my favorite all-time BB song (although Caroline, No is up there also) GDTM has so much going for it: poignant lost love lyrics, melody + hook, subtle British invasion influence but still that "California Sound", nicely placed guitar, BB harmonies with plaintive lead = wow.
Old 06-19-08, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Andalusia
I agree with you on it sounding VERY much like Ticket To Ride. Too much. I don't know which came first, tho..