Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Cassette tape transfer

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Cassette tape transfer

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cassette tape transfer

So I'm going through a ton of tapes right now, and wondering... has anyone here transferred their cassettes to digital files (and/or cd)? I've got a ton of stuff, admittingly mostly of my old band. I'd like to transfer it to better storage, and also get rid of all these tapes. Ideally they'll be archived on cd.

I thought maybe someone here would be able to help or offer suggestions. Thanks!
Old 05-02-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
I've done it many times. Mostly transferring over old cassettes from the 70s and 80s I made from King Biscuit, BBC, Westwood One, etc. I use a stand alone cd recorder that is run through your receiver. The main drawback is the tape is recorded as one long track. I have to sit and listen while doing it and press a button on the remote between songs to create a new track. With the live stuff I then rip the recorded cd to the computer with Nero to remove the gap between songs and reburn. With pre-recorded casettes the recorder can detect the gap between songs and creates seperate tracks instead of one long track. Doesn't work with vinyl though. Recorder can always detect some sound between songs and doesn't record them as seperate tracks.
Old 05-02-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i use adobe audition to record my audio files directly from cassette/minidisc/dat/whatever to the computer, do the mastering (hiss reduction, pop removal) and then--

you should get CD Wave to split your one long wave file up. it's hands-down the best program for this.
Old 05-03-08, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw a tape drive that you can install into your computer that will do exactly what you are asking.
Old 05-03-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

or

Old 05-04-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run the output cables from my tape player into my sound card on my computer and use Nero Wave Recorder to do my transfers. The direct connection cuts out any extra hiss that I might pick up other wise, so the final product comes out sounding at least as good as the original cassette. I manage to get clean, crisp sounding files that way.

Nero records it as one long track. I just save each track individually (cut what I don't want to save, save the track, paste and repeat.)

I transfer my LP records in the same way.
Old 05-04-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My vinyl rips sound so much better than that muddy sound on pre-recorded tapes. I've made a few transfers from the better sounding tape recordings I made myself, but ended up finding better transfers from online blogs over the years.
Old 05-05-08, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Awesome suggestions, thanks! I'll definitely be looking into some of these (as soon as I get my new computer.. which is hopefully really soon )!