Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Enter the Wu-Tang → Wu-Tang Forever the greatest winning streak in rap history?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Is Enter the Wu-Tang → Wu-Tang Forever the greatest winning streak in rap history?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is Enter the Wu-Tang → Wu-Tang Forever the greatest winning streak in rap history

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP. And might I add that it would suck to be U-God in this group.
Old 02-06-09, 12:41 AM
Banned

Re: Is Enter the Wu-Tang → Wu-Tang Forever the greatest winning streak in rap history

Old 07-13-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
Production wise thats when it started to transition/decline it started to get less basement/grimy and more digital. But in hiphop if you dont reinvent yourself you'll have a 3 album career.
“Hellz Wind Staff” has some of my favorite production of any Wu song. It sounds like something off RZA's score for Ghost Dog.
Old 07-13-13, 04:08 PM
Banned

Outkast, A Tribe Called Quest, Kanye, Nas, Jay-Z have all had better runs than Wu-Tang and I'm a huge Wu-Tang fan.
Old 07-13-13, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
Outkast, A Tribe Called Quest, Kanye, Nas, Jay-Z have all had better runs than Wu-Tang and I'm a huge Wu-Tang fan.
Damn shame about Outkast. Imagine if Andre Benjamin hadn't lost interest after the album in 2000.

Still think they could make a huge comeback.
Old 07-13-13, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's arguable. Of the Hip-Hop acts you named, the only one I would agree with is Outkast. And I'm a fan of everyone you mentioned, too.
Old 07-13-13, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was unaware Nas had more than one good album.
Old 07-13-13, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I was unaware Nas had more than one good album.
Illmatic is obviously one of the most important albums to the evolution of hip-hop, but do you not feel It Was Written, Stillmatic, Street's Disciple or Untitled are any good?

Nastradamus is a dud given it's all leftover cuts from the It Was Written sessions, but other than that his albums are for the most part consistent. I'd say Life Is Good is my least favorite next to Nastradamus, but it's still better than Jay-Z's latest effort.
Old 07-14-13, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Nas's Illmatic was good as was It Was Written (almost entirely on the back of “I Gave You Power”), but it ends there until he gets to Stillmatic.

Jay's output has been mixed since Vol. 3 and I covered my thoughts in the first paragraph. Plus you can't have a streak late in the game either, considering the absolute duds of Kingdom Come and Magna Carta Holy Grail.
Old 07-14-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 908 Likes on 763 Posts

Clearly the answer is Rza's streak cited in the first post. It's one of the greatest stretches on a per-album basis in musical history, since the Beatles in the 1960s. Money and side projects eventually brought it to an end.
Old 07-14-13, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus

The only person/group that could come close to achieving this is Jay-Z
WHAT!??

Ever heard of Ice Cube?

Straight Outta Compton
AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
Kill at Will (EP)
Death Certificate
The Predator
--can stop here if you want--
Lethal Injection
Bootlegs & B-Sides
Old 07-14-13, 03:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Bus
Nas's Illmatic was good as was It Was Written (almost entirely on the back of “I Gave You Power”), but it ends there until he gets to Stillmatic.
No. Nas only misstep was Nastradamus. Everything else is good or really good.
Old 07-14-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No. Nas only misstep was Nastradamus. Everything else is good or really good.
I Am... is that album that really just threw him on to mainstream radio and MTV with Hate Me Now, but I would agree that the album was far from a dud. For Nas, it's a bit of a letdown.

To me, you can't compare Nas & Jay-Z. Jigga has put out a lot of garbage over the past decade. He really should've just retired after The Black Album and stuck to business ventures and occasional guest appearances. It's hard to top near-perfection.
Old 07-14-13, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Nas has the worst ear for beats ever. I wouldn't say that everything after Illmatic was a dud. Just.....blah
Old 07-14-13, 05:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by My Other Self

He really should've just retired after The Black Album and stuck to business ventures and occasional guest appearances. It's hard to top near-perfection.
It's funny that a lot of people say this about Jay-Z. I used to think it was silly to say this but the more sub-par albums he comes out with the more this statement becomes true.
Old 07-14-13, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trelach24
Nas has the worst ear for beats ever. I wouldn't say that everything after Illmatic was a dud. Just.....blah
Agreed. His albums aren't necessarily bad, but it's usually a chore to have to sit through one from start to finish. Illmatic has been the only I've truly enjoyed.
Old 07-14-13, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

IMO, The best wu related album, post Wu-tang Forever, is this one

RZA's "Digital Bullets" is a close second to me.
Old 07-14-13, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 908 Likes on 763 Posts

Nas has never had the best taste in production, save for Illmatic. His choices in beats have always been erratic and rarely fit his style of lyricism. He would have been much better off hiring someone like Havoc (of Mobb Deep) or another NY producer like Pete Rock, to oversee all of his albums.
Originally Posted by Ringmaster
IMO, The best wu related album, post Wu-tang Forever, is this one

Supreme Clientele is the only WU album from a core member made after their golden age, to sound like it actually came from their most successful run. There are other recent solo albums which turned out decently, but many of them greatly deviate from the classic Wu sound.
Old 07-15-13, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Ice Cube almost tops it:

"Straight Outta Compton" (w/NWA), "AmeriKKKas Most Wanted," "Death Certificate," "The Predator," "Lethal Injection (this one is pretty polarizing), "Bow Down" (w/ Westside Connection)
Old 07-15-13, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Also, I'm not sure many would argue the Beastie Boys from '86 to '98 was a solid streak (5 albums). Frankly, I'd classify their entire output as a nearly flawless win.
Old 07-15-13, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

WHAT!??

Ever heard of Ice Cube?

Straight Outta Compton
AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
Kill at Will (EP)
Death Certificate
The Predator
--can stop here if you want--
Lethal Injection
Bootlegs & B-Sides
Didn't see your post before making mine.

I wouldn't really put Bootlegs and B-Sides though; it's a pretty hit or miss offering and it's mostly remixes, not terribly original.
Old 07-15-13, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Clearly the answer is Rza's streak cited in the first post. It's one of the greatest stretches on a per-album basis in musical history, since the Beatles in the 1960s. Money and side projects eventually brought it to an end.
Couldn't you extend it further with Method Man's second album, Rza's first solo work and Gza's second offering?