Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Motley Crue - Saints of Los Angeles 06/17/08

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Are you planning to buy Mötley Crüe new CD?
Yes, it's about damn time!
59.57%
Hell No!
40.43%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Motley Crue - Saints of Los Angeles 06/17/08

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I sampled it on Amzon and....wow. Is that the best they could come up with? Really?

The title track is easily the best song on the album. (At least it sure seems that way from the samples...) There's a lot of mediocre stuff on there.

Honestly, New Tattoo might be a better album.

Maybe the samples don't give an accurate read on the album, but if they do then this is a real disappointment. Then again, when was the last time the Crue put out a truly GREAT album? 1983? (Shout at the Devil would be my call - every album that followed had too much filler, although the John Corabi album was darned good and had less filler than anthing between it and Shout, and less filler than anything since.)
Old 06-24-08, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anybody know whats on the bonus dvd that best buy has?
Old 06-24-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sergtv
anybody know whats on the bonus dvd that best buy has?
According to the sticker on the front of the case:
SAINTS OF LOS ANGELES MUSIC VIDEO
LIVE PERFORMANCES AND MORE
PHOTO GALLERY
EXCERPTS FROM THE NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLER -THE DIRT.
Old 06-24-08, 04:14 PM
Suspended

i'm a fan from way back and i hate the new stuff

hate it

horrible
Old 06-24-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't mind it. I expected worse. It's not bad.
Old 06-25-08, 08:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
i'm a fan from way back and i hate the new stuff

hate it

horrible
omg are you crazy this new cd kicks ass ,
Old 06-27-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From a Longtime crue fan.. Just finished listening to the new cd and have to say WOW, what an amazing cd this is, it just doesn't let up great hard rock that i expected from the crue, going to go pop in the bonus dvd now.
Old 06-27-08, 05:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by xfilefanfreak
omg are you crazy this new cd kicks ass ,
just not a fan of the new stuff

i wish the guys well... especially Mick

but i will just keep listening to
and be happy
Old 07-01-08, 01:32 AM

Been a crue fan since too fast for love and this cd is the best since shout at the devil. easily better than feelgood. the sound is soo tight. vince' lyrics are as good as i've heard in over a decade. i thought mars was washed up but it's his best work also. every track rocks. plus no sappy love songs. vince and the boys are back. I hope ac/dc brings it with their new album.
Old 07-03-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've gotta say, that I can't stop listening to this CD. I've been Crue fan since I was old enough to understand some of it (GGG days...I was about 10). Hell, I skipped school with the assistance of an older cousin the day Dr. Feelgood came out.

I've stuck around all these years as a fan, even through Corabi (which, was a great album, just shouldn't have been called "Motley Crue"...I really like Corabi, just not over Vince). This has to be one of their most solid albums, end-to-end, since Shout. I'm actually quite impressed with the sound. If only they could have done something like this a lot earlier...But it's by far the best Rock Album of the year.

Standout cuts for me are

Face Down in the Dirt
Down at the Whisky
Saints of Los Angeles
This Ain't a Love Song (best song by the crue in 20 years)
Goin' Out Swingin'

Overall there isn't a dud on the album. One thing I found funny is how some reviews around the web are decrying the lyrical content of brews, broads, and bikes as cheesy and cliche and whatever...uh, have you never heard a Crue record before? What are they supposed to be about? At least they're speaking from deep experience in all those seedy clubs and situations, unlike some of these bands that are all fantasy...
Old 07-04-08, 03:21 PM

my faves of the album are
animal in me
mf of the year
chicks=trouble
what's it gonna take
the entire album is great. really no filler in there. instrumentally it's their best album. it feels like they just recorded shout at the devil a few years ago because they hit on every cylinder.
Old 07-11-08, 02:22 PM

speaking of shout at the devil...which version does everyone prefer? The original or the remix? I mean, most of the time, for me, it's always original. But I think on this one, I prefer the remix. The intro is just great...
Old 07-12-08, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Son of Odin
easily better than feelgood.
are you crazy? this cd is so damn cheesy. vinces voice is so fucked up he actually sounds younger than the other releases. its like chipmunk speed. awful awful cd. feelgood was a great cd with some amazing songs. this doesnt even come close. "im the motherfucker of the year"! what a fuckin dork!
Old 07-12-08, 10:34 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chino77
. . . "im the motherfucker of the year"! what a fuckin dork!
Yeah, that cocky bravado BS of his youth falls hysterically short at this age.
Old 07-12-08, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
speaking of shout at the devil...which version does everyone prefer? The original or the remix? I mean, most of the time, for me, it's always original. But I think on this one, I prefer the remix. The intro is just great...
I like the orignal better.. especially when you listen to it in order with "in the begining" then shout. Love that opening riff.
Old 07-13-08, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by chino77
are you crazy? this cd is so damn cheesy. vinces voice is so fucked up he actually sounds younger than the other releases. its like chipmunk speed. awful awful cd. feelgood was a great cd with some amazing songs. this doesnt even come close. "im the motherfucker of the year"! what a fuckin dork!
See this is the thing I don't get. As I said in my previous posts...when were the Crue completely introspective and straight up serious, touching on, say, world issues? Not that you said that, but they've always been bad-boy cheesy. Look at Smokin in the Boys room. I mean, there are some great Crue songs on this album, and some of them could have been right off Feelgood and Girls. MF of the year is one of the weaker tracks in my opinion, so I'll agree there, but stuff like Chicks=Trouble, the title track, Down at the Whisky, and (my fave) This ain't a love song are classic Crue tracks - written in the same vein as everything was 20 years ago.

Not sure what you mean about Vince's voice...there's some different effects on some of the songs, but it sounds like it should, I thought.
Old 07-13-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The first two Crue albums are really all anyone needs. Thus, my vote is for "Hell No!"
Old 07-14-08, 10:31 AM

Old 07-14-08, 10:38 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by NoirFan
The first two Crue albums are really all anyone needs. Thus, my vote is for "Hell No!"
agreed
Old 07-14-08, 08:34 PM

Well, I know I write stuff off before listening to it all the time, especially if I've liked stuff from the band before.
Old 07-14-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
The Psycho song realy makes me feel sad about this album.
Old 07-19-08, 12:28 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My first listen through of this album had me feeling kinda meh. I have since listened to it several more times through and it has grown on me. I really like Down at the Whiskey, SOLA, Face Down in the Dirt, Animal in me and Chicks = Trouble. I even like the Just Another Psycho song. I have to agree with Lordzepplin in that there isn't a dud on the album.

I saw Crüefest on Tuesday in Detroit and have to say it was a good show. All the bands sounded good. Vince had a few songs where he would quit singing for a few words then come back. I figured he was just catching his breath. When he was singing he sounded good. Mick was spot on with his play even with his health issues.

Last edited by DAC; 07-19-08 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-21-08, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I just bought this CD on a whim this weekend. Never been into Motley Crue at all before now, but WOW this album kicks all kinds of ass!
Old 09-22-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
I love how the first half of the album tells a chronological story of the band's rise. Love the songs there too. it's a mini rock opera bio of the Crue.

The second half, well, I just pretend the album ends with SoLA.
Old 09-22-08, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
I love how the first half of the album tells a chronological story of the band's rise. Love the songs there too. it's a mini rock opera bio of the Crue.

The second half, well, I just pretend the album ends with SoLA.
C'mon...Chicks = Trouble and This Ain't a Love Song are classic crue cuts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.