Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Mariah Carey surpasses Elvis in No. 1s (next up: The Beatles)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Mariah Carey surpasses Elvis in No. 1s (next up: The Beatles)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Elvis, Mariah Carey they're both overrated in my book. Flame away!
Old 04-03-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why you! Blasphemy!!

Old 04-04-08, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuff like this used to bother me. No longer.

The only people this matters to (besides Mariah and her publicists) are those who feel they need to justify listening to her by rattling off how many albums/singles she "sold" and where they charted.
Old 04-04-08, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Mariah's record would be more impressive if she and her label didn't make such a big fuss over it. It was common knowledge in the late 90's that Sony would drop her singles down to 49 cents to get enough sales to give her another #1 single. No artist in the history of music has ever been as obsessed with their own chart positions. Remember she checked herself into a mental institution when a 49 cent single backfired and ONLY peaked at a "dismal" #2 in 2001. In a way I feel bad for her, it's obviously a sign of low self esteem if she feels the only way she can be justified is if she has the record for #1 singles.

So what happens next if she tops the Beatles record? will she finally feel fulfilled or will she still feel empty and want more?
Old 04-04-08, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nothingfails
I think Mariah's record would be more impressive if she and her label didn't make such a big fuss over it. It was common knowledge in the late 90's that Sony would drop her singles down to 49 cents to get enough sales to give her another #1 single. No artist in the history of music has ever been as obsessed with their own chart positions. Remember she checked herself into a mental institution when a 49 cent single backfired and ONLY peaked at a "dismal" #2 in 2001. In a way I feel bad for her, it's obviously a sign of low self esteem if she feels the only way she can be justified is if she has the record for #1 singles.

So what happens next if she tops the Beatles record? will she finally feel fulfilled or will she still feel empty and want more?
I completely remember this, and agree! I'll never forget going into record stores, back when this was happening, and they would have HUGE barrells full of the most recent Mariah Carey cassette singles, marked down to .49 cents! You would see some obsessed fan taking tons of them to the counter, saying that they were going to give them out as gifts. In fact, one time, I saw a guy who I had seen before, buying Mariah singles, taking at least 20 cassette singles of "My All" up to the counter. I'll never forget the cashier saying, "Man, Mariah must be desperate for another #1", and that guy freaking out, and going off on the cashier, saying that it had nothing to do with trying to get another #1 hit! I laughed so hard, I almost pee'd my pants!
Old 04-04-08, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 520 Likes on 307 Posts
I have never bought one of her CDs, but I do enjoy some of her singles. I especially enjoyed the song she did with Mobb Deep. I'm not comparing her to Elvis or the Beatles, but I think you people are being a little ridiculous in the way you are bashing her. She even said herself she doesn't compare to those people. So she has some issues. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it isn't trash. People can have different tastes than you. People get so hostile when something "beneath them" has success.
Old 04-04-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I have never bought one of her CDs, but I do enjoy some of her singles. I especially enjoyed the song she did with Mobb Deep. I'm not comparing her to Elvis or the Beatles, but I think you people are being a little ridiculous in the way you are bashing her. She even said herself she doesn't compare to those people. So she has some issues. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it isn't trash. People can have different tastes than you. People get so hostile when something "beneath them" has success.
well, I am a fan of hers and have followed her career for a long time. But it is true that her former label went out of the way to buy her #1 singles. I love The Beatles and like Elvis, but I've never been a "OMGZZZZ HOW DARE SOMEONE COME NEAR THEM!!!!" type of fan, but Elvis and Beatles always hit #1 because they had the most popular songs, I highly doubt Capitol ever did "25 cent 45 days" to push the newest Beatles single to the top. That's what happened with Mariah in the late 90's when she was having #1 singles nobody but the diehards even remember at this point. How many people who aren't real Mariah fans even remember "Thank God I Found You"? I do believe Mariah has deserved a good percentage of her hits, but she and her labels have gone out of the way to make a big deal about it, whereas in the 50's and 60's, it's not like Elvis and Beatle had rabid online communities and a record company that was "if we put Hello Goodbye on sale for 25 cents the first week out, The Beatles are for sure going to have a #1" with looney online fans who buy 200 copies of the 45 to ensure a #1 position. That is what is different between the days when The Beatles and Elvis broke records for #1 singles and today where Mariah, her fans, and her labels are all up on making sure the next single is a #1 so she can topple Elvis.
Old 04-04-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am not an Elvis fan or a Mariah Carey fan. But I'm sure if you played all of the the #1's from Elvis or Carey I would probably recognize way more Elvis songs than Carey songs. And looking at the list of the other artists with the most #1's, I'm sure I would recognize more of them than Carey as well. Even artists like the Supremes that I am not all that familiar with I'm sure I would recognize more of their songs than Careys.

I was looking at a list of Beatles singles and they have many songs that people would probably recognize that were never number one songs.

I Saw Her Standing There
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
All My Loving
Nowhere Man
Don't Let Me Down
A Day In The Life
I am The Walrus
Got To Get You Into My Life
Back In The USSR
In My Life
Here Comes The Sun

I bet more people would recognize those non-number 1's than most of mariah Carey's #1's.
Old 04-04-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anybody who stays around forever like Mariah is bound to finally top old records in Billboard. It is, as they say, just a matter of time.

As far as the Beatles' No.1 singles go, its only a 6 year spread, not 8. They were around for 8 years, sure, but Billboard is only tallying from the point "I Want to Hold Your Hand" went to No.1 in January, 1964. Only chart-toppers in the United States - not the United Kingdom or anywhere else. In the United States, they had 20. Elsewhere: who knows.
Old 04-07-08, 01:16 PM
Cool New Member

WOW WTG Mariah
Old 04-08-08, 03:13 AM

I'm so happy for Mariah..she defenitly knows how to make hits!