Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Roots: Rising Down - 4/29/08

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-19-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

from pitchfork:

The Roots Reveal New Album Details

The upcoming presidential election has everyone feeling political, and the Roots are no different. In a press release, group backbone/mouthpiece ?uestlove calls Rising Down, the Roots' forthcoming 10th (!) album, "probably our most political album to date, dealing with addiction, nihilism, hypocritical double standards in the prison system, and overall life in Philadelphia." But don't worry, rap fans, ?uest also says the record is "not a 'downer,' as most people expect us to do."

Nonetheless, the Game Theory follow-up's title comes from a William T. Vollmann treatise on violence, and its release date-- April 29 (via Def Jam)-- is also the 16th anniversary of the riots that consumed Los Angeles after the police officers accused of beating Rodney King were acquitted. That is to say, "downer" or not, Rising Down offers plenty of chances to get worked up.

As for the music, Rising Down features guest appearances from Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Peedi Crakk, DJ Jazzy Jeff, Saigon, Styles P, Wale, and someone unfortunately named P.O.R.N. Perhaps most notable though is Fall Out Boy singer Patrick Stump's appearance on first single "Birthday Girl".

The Roots have North American tour dates to keep them busy until the album comes out.

Rising Down:

1 The Pow Wow
2 Rising Down [ft. Mos Def and Styles P]
3 Get Busy [ft. Dice Raw, Peedi Crakk and DJ Jazzy Jeff]
4 @15
5 75 Bars (Black's Reconstruction)
6 (Time Up)
7 Criminal [ft. Saigon and Truck North]
8 I Will Not Apologize [ft. P.O.R.N. and Dice Raw]
9 I Can't Help It [ft. Malik B and P.O.R.N.]
10 Singing Man [ft. Truck North and P.O.R.N.]
11 Up There (Unwritten) [ft. Mercedes Martinez]
12 Lost Desire [ft. Talib Kweli and Malik B]
13 The Show [ft. Common]
14 Rising Up [ft. Chrisette Michele and Wale]
15 Birthday Girl [ft. Patrick Stump]The Roots:

03-29 Decatur, IL - Millikin University
03-30 Toronto, Ontario - Kool Haus
04-05 Austin, TX - University of Texas
04-07 Bloomington, IN - Indiana University
04-09 Burlington, VT - Higher Ground
04-11 Killington, VT - Pickle Barrel
04-12 Boston, MA - Northeastern University
04-16 West Lafayette, IN - Purdue University
04-17 Pittsburgh, PA - Carnegie Mellon University
04-18 St. Louis, MO - Webster University
04-20 Washington, DC - Green Apple Festival
04-23 Durham, NC - Duke University
04-24 Charleston, SC - The Music Farm
04-25 Charlotte, NC - Amos' South End
04-26 Towson, MD - Tigerfest (Towson University)
05-03 New Orleans, LA - Jazz & Heritage Festival
05-04 New Orleans, LA - House of Blues
08-08 Jersey City, NJ - All Points West Festival
Old 03-19-08, 08:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't really like the single, but I love their other stuff, so I will def check this out.
Old 03-20-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Good to hear, but I'm less than thrilled it'll be so overtly political. But what do you expect in an election year?

Wonder what the stage banter will be like during their show at Duke.
Old 04-29-08, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
So, this comes out today, but I'll probably wait to pick it up this weekend. I considered pre-ordering it from UndergroundHipHop.com to get the t-shirt and ?uestlove afro pick, but I already have way too many t-shirts as it is and absolutely no need for an afro pick. Ultimately, it came down to a matter of $10 at a BM vs. $21 + shipping.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing this in a few days.
Old 04-29-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like they cut the last song (and single?) Birthday Girl. Man, I love The Roots. $10 at Best Buy today.
Old 04-29-08, 10:13 AM

Never listened to them before until today. Checked out a few samples of the new album on Itunes. Heard the "N" word about 12 times in the 30 second sample of 75 bars.

Suffice it to say, they aren't my cup of tea.
Old 04-29-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's not at all a fair assessment of their music, crackedjack. Check out just about any of their other stuff.
Old 04-29-08, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
That's not at all a fair assessment of their music, crackedjack. Check out just about any of their other stuff.
Fair or not, I thought they were more of a band, than rap group/revolving door of guest rappers from the huge guest list I see at the top. Just mistaken about what I thought they were, that's all. Or do they have albums that feature mainly singers/singing on them?
Old 04-29-08, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it's singing you're after, this probably isn't the band for you. Even when they were more rooted in a jazz genre, their vocalists were predominately rappers. Rap may not be your thing, but for the most part, the band has produced a lot of lyrically conscious material. It sounds like they may still not be the band for you, but I'd keep in mind that a song like the one you mentioned is more of an exception than the rule for them.
Old 04-29-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No ?uestlove liner notes.
Old 04-29-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I listened all the way through once. I think its solid. I don't know where I would rank it yet.
Old 04-29-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Al Padrino
If it's singing you're after, this probably isn't the band for you. Even when they were more rooted in a jazz genre, their vocalists were predominately rappers. Rap may not be your thing, but for the most part, the band has produced a lot of lyrically conscious material. It sounds like they may still not be the band for you, but I'd keep in mind that a song like the one you mentioned is more of an exception than the rule for them.
I think I get what TCJ2 is saying...he thought they were more of a "band" - one that plays actual instruments and handles their "own" rapping, as opposed to the usual Jay-Z/Puffy guest list of rappers.

Am I close?
Old 04-30-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
The only thing that bums me out about The Roots is that their guitarist Kirk (don't call him Sparticus) Douglas is a flat-out amazing guitarist, yet you wouldn't know it from these songs - I understand that hip-hop songs don't necessarily lend themselves to guitar riffs or solos, but other than live shows, I can't tell what it is he does in this band.
Old 04-30-08, 02:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
The only thing that bums me out about The Roots is that their guitarist Kirk (don't call him Sparticus) Douglas is a flat-out amazing guitarist, yet you wouldn't know it from these songs - I understand that hip-hop songs don't necessarily lend themselves to guitar riffs or solos, but other than live shows, I can't tell what it is he does in this band.
Yeah I noticed that while listening to the album but then again Rising Down is more reliant on drums and synths than other instruments. Kirk is featured more prominently on the last album. I've seen the band live five times and he's always a high point of their shows (especially when he plays Bob Dylan's "Masters of War" and Hendrix' "Machine Gun).