Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Getting an Artist to Sign a Guitar

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Random Question, I am going to a small venue concert to see an artist I really like, and had previously seen people get a guitar autographed. I think it's a great idea.
Any suggestions? Do you buy a decent ro cheap guitar knowing it will just be on your wall as a display piece instead of played? Recommended marker for no smudging, etc?
Thanks!
Old 02-11-08, 07:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recommend Sharpie markers, but ....DO NOT WAX THE GUITAR OR USE ANY KIND OF CLEANER ON IT AFTER GETTING THE SIGNATURE!!! Regardless of what kind of marker you use, it will come off if you use any chemicals on it! ONLY use a clean/soft cloth (an old t-shirt does nicely) to dust it off, and to GENTLY rub off fingerprints.

But Sharpie is the best for this type of thing; take it from me, I've been collecting signed stuff since the 70's.
Old 02-11-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
And this might be obvious, but make sure you get a picture of the artist signing the guitar or handing it to you afterwards! It's always fun to put that picture up next to the guitar itself on the wall....
Old 02-11-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you play a strat-style guitar with an easily removable pickguard, having the artist sign that instead of having to cart the actual guitar around might be the better option.

I had Yngwie Malmsteen sign my American Standard strat's pickguard because I was too afraid to keep a $1k guitar in the parking lot of a show in the seedy end of town.
Old 02-12-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Get a lacquer pen. It will become part of the finish.
Old 02-12-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
If you play a strat-style guitar with an easily removable pickguard, having the artist sign that instead of having to cart the actual guitar around might be the better option.

I had Yngwie Malmsteen sign my American Standard strat's pickguard because I was too afraid to keep a $1k guitar in the parking lot of a show in the seedy end of town.
Ditto. I've met Steve Vai at an aftershow event and just took the rear trem cover from one of my guitars and a couple of sharpies.
Old 02-14-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Hopefully the artist won't pull a "Gene". Didn't Gene Simmons stop signing guitars years ago because he didn't want them to end up on EBAY or something like that?
Old 02-15-08, 10:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Hopefully the artist won't pull a "Gene". Didn't Gene Simmons stop signing guitars years ago because he didn't want them to end up on EBAY or something like that?
I'm not sure about that, but I've met Gene several times since the early 80's and I have this to say: his signature no longer looks anything like it used to. It progressed (regressed?) from the cool-looking sig seen in the liner notes of KISS ALIVE! to a horrible mashed together collection of squiggly unreadable lines. He signs quickly (part of the problem), and writes no messages.

Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick still signs his cool/wild "caricature" signature, but always asks the recipient, "Now, I won't see this on eBay, will I?"....
Old 02-15-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Yeah, I ran into Rick Nielsen years ago in a hotel bar, and he drew a little pic of himself for me.
Old 02-15-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mordred
Considering the pickups, switches and knobs are attached to the pickguard I wouldn't consider a strat pickguard easily removable!
Old 02-15-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Yeah, I ran into Rick Nielsen years ago in a hotel bar, and he drew a little pic of himself for me.
Me too
Old 02-17-08, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I was on a line to get Megadeth's autographs and Mustaine said he wouldn't sign any guitars. I think he said it was due to a deal he had with a certain company, which I don't doubt, but I think that reason is probably b.s.