Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bauhaus "Go Away White" (first album since '83)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Official release of the new Bauhaus album is March 4. Renewed passion after the '06 tour with NiN. Upfront, I've always preferred the whole Tones On Tail catalogue and Love & Rockets first two albums over almost anything Bauhaus ever did. Heck, even my fave Bauhaus song, "Slice Of Life" was sung by Daniel Ash and sounds like Tones On Tail.

A few of the songs on the new album are silly and kind of meh. I think maybe it's Murphy's vocals, but they don't sound much different from their heyday. Definitely apeing Bowie at every chance. I'm guessing old fans are probably going to eat this up.
Old 02-10-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Peter Murphy's last solo album was weak. I guess I'll have to download a preview copy before comitting the cash.
Old 02-10-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts
I thought they had broken up again after the NIN tour. Shows me wrong, I guess.
Old 02-10-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I thought they had broken up again after the NIN tour. Shows me wrong, I guess.
I read they quickly recorded some tunes for a new album, then broke up again. Supposedly a few of the takes on the new album are from the first try.
Old 02-11-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Looking forward to hearing this.
Old 03-04-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quick bump for release day. Anyone pick this up? I heard some samples but they honestly didn't do a thing for me. I may wait til this hits the used bins.
Old 03-05-08, 06:48 AM

I got it... and I think it's awesome! ok - it's really nothing like early 80's bauhaus... but that time is gone...

and no - it doesn't sound like the last peter murphy release either... but does resemble some of his 90's solo output...

I highly recommend it!

too bad they broke up again (this time for good supposedly) and won't be touring
Old 03-05-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bearkiss
it's really nothing like early 80's bauhaus... but that time is gone...

and no - it doesn't sound like the last peter murphy release either... but does resemble some of his 90's solo output...
I agree with the above statement, but I hated the album.
Old 03-04-13, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Bauhaus "Go Away White" (first album since '83)

Peter Murphy to play all-Bauhaus concerts in U.S. to mark band’s 35th anniversary

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/201...us-tour-dates/

It’s yet to be officially announced, but Peter Murphy will return to the U.S. this spring for what appears to be a full tour called “Peter Murphy Celebrates 35 Years of Bauhaus,” which will find the band’s former frontman performing concerts comprised solely of Bauhaus material.

So far, ticketing and venue sites confirm Murphy will play all-Bauhaus shows in at least four cities in Texas, Florida and Illinois in late April and early May (see dates below) — while a San Diego-area concert is also confirmed for late July, but it’s not clear whether that’s part of the Bauhaus anniversary trek.

A number of Mexican websites also report that Murphy will play the FMX Festival de Mexico on May 18.

Murphy, who has toured the U.S. multiple times since the release of his 2011 album Ninth, last December performed an all-Bauhaus set at a pair of one-off year-end shows in Santa Ana, Calif., which also included a concert dedicated to a rare full performance of his 1989 album Deep.

Murphy and the rest of Bauhaus reunited for several tours between 1998 and 2006, but the band imploded for what appears to be a final time during the recording of Go Away White, its fifth album, which was released in 2008 and was the group’s first in 23 years.

We’ll post additional dates as they’re confirmed.

UPDATE: Concerts confirmed in Florida, North Carolina, New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Indiana in May, plus concerts in Phoenix and San Francisco in July.

Peter Murphy tour dates:

April 23: The Belmont, Austin, TX
April 24: Granada Theater, Dallas, TX
April 28: Vinyl Music Hall, Pensacola, FL
April 30: Grand Central, Miami, FL
May 1: The Orpheum, Tampa, FL
May 3: Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte, N.C.
May 7: Webster Hall, New York, NY
May 9: The Trocadero, Philadelphia, PA
May 12: Mr. Smalls Theatre, Millvale, PA
May 13: Magic Stick, Detroit, MI
May 15: Deluxe at Old National Centre, Indianapolis, IN
May 16: House of Blues, Chicago, IL
May 18: FMX Festival de Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico
July 13: Crescent Ballroom, Phoenix, CA
July 23: The Fillmore, San Francisco, CA
July 28: Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach, CA
Old 03-19-13, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not good.

Peter Murphy facing DUI, meth charges following Southern California hit-and-run

18 March 2013Misc.8 comments

Former Bauhaus frontman Peter Murphy was being held in a Southern California jail on Monday on $500,000 bond while facing DUI, felony hit-and-run and meth possession charges in connection with an incident over the weekend in which he is alleged to have rear-ended a vehicle and fled the scene, according to the Glendale News-Press.

The newspaper reports that Murphy, driving a Subaru Forester, struck a Mercedes around 11:48 a.m. Saturday in an intersection in Glendale, Calif., then fled the scene — but was followed to Los Angeles by an eyewitness who told police “he was afraid (Murphy) would kill someone with his driving.” The witness blocked Murphy’s vehicle until police came and took him into custody.

Police noted that Murphy appeared “very confused” and was unsure of the day and time, according to the newspaper. He denied drinking alcohol, but said he had taken prescription mediation for depression.

According to the paper, police reported finding a small bag of methamphetamine inside the patrol car in which Murphy had been detained, and believe the singer had been trying to discard it.

Murphy denied the drugs were his, according to the newspaper’s report.

Next month, Murphy — who lives in Turkey — is set to begin a world tour celebrating the 35th anniversary of goth-rock legends Bauhaus, performing concerts solely comprised of material by his former band. That trek opens April 22 in San Antonio, Texas, and run through late July, covering North America and Europe.

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/201...-hit-run-meth/
Old 03-19-13, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I was about to get tix to the Houston show. I guess I'll hold off on that for now.
Old 03-19-13, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, that's too bad. I saw him on the last solo tour, and thought both that and the album were fantastic--he seemed to be at the top of his game.
Old 03-19-13, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, I missed that tour, but I saw the couple before that and they were good. Ninth was a very solid album.
Old 03-19-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Real shame as he has been one of my favorite artists since the mid 80's. He's been touring the states like a madman as I've seen him at least four times in the past two years. Every show was stellar and you could tell he was giving 100%. Very sad to hear this news.
Old 03-19-13, 10:09 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm more surprised a goth rocker drives a Subaru.
Old 03-19-13, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,898 Posts

Is he still a Muslim?