Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U23D opens Today! (1/23/08)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

U23D opens Today! (1/23/08)

Old 01-27-08, 08:12 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 7,541
Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Hey Chris, it was great meeting you! Come back anytime. How did you like the show?
I really liked it, although I'm a bit biased as they could film anything and I would love it.

Highlights:

South American Crowd...Wow, makes me feel ashamed to be a fan in the US. They rocked and some of the crowd shots (when they are bouncing) were very cool.

The Fly. Loved all the stuff going on with the text.

Vertigo...Showed off the 3D effects and the crowd was into it!

Liked the little animations and such that Bono did, and during the credits.

I thought the sound was great!

I liked that it was a little shorter too. The 3D effects are overwhelming and while I'd love a full 2 hour show, this was a great selection of music. (Missing the best song of the tour though, without having "The Electric Co." in the setlist)

NOTE TO U2: Please use folks like Catherine Owens to FILM your future concerts. This was shot 1000's better than the recent Hamish Hamilton stuff (2005's Live from Chicago, 2001's Live From Slane Castle and Live from Boston) She took her time on shots and wasn't so CUT/CUT/CUT...Slow sweeping camera shots works much better for a band like U2.

It was nice to meet you Supr, sorry we didn't hang longer, I didn't want to bug you at work!
Old 01-28-08, 03:50 PM
  #27  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
No worries, glad you enjoyed it. I caught a bit of it and the 3D is pretty darn cool.
Old 01-28-08, 06:00 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
C-Mart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Des Moines, WA
Posts: 3,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cerulean
There are no plans to release U2 3D in any 2D format including DVD. You have to catch this one in theaters!

I'm sure it will come to DVD in either 2 or 3D at some point, just like every other IMAX release has... unless you have some source that says that this will only ever be released in theaters?
Old 01-29-08, 01:25 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,523
Received 6,354 Likes on 4,347 Posts
Crap. It seems that the run ends this Thursday (at least in LV), bumped for Hannah Montana and it isn't coming back. I missed it this weekend (sick kids) and unless I go to a 9:30 show on a weeknight (there isn't any show at 7 or 8), I'm fucked. What to do....
Old 01-29-08, 03:21 PM
  #30  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 65
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good news. Check out the U23Dmovie.com site. It looks as if this will be in most theaters that are equipped for 3-D on 02/15/08.
Old 01-29-08, 04:04 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
dvduser6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,675
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally caught the 9:30 show at the Irvine Spectrum IMAX last night. Great experience overall. The scope of this show was simply amazing. Agree 100% about the South American audiences. The USA crowds come off as a dull bunch after watching this movie. Setlist was very good, although I also woud've liked to see "Electric Co" thrown in. The overhead stage shots were incredibly cool. I literally felt like I could reach past Larry and grab that drink next to his drum kit.
Old 01-30-08, 03:24 AM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 486
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by C-Mart
I'm sure it will come to DVD in either 2 or 3D at some point, just like every other IMAX release has... unless you have some source that says that this will only ever be released in theaters?
I've seen a couple of articles that mentioned it -- not so much that it will only ever be released in theaters, but that it would only be released in 3D. And since current technology doesn't reproduce 3D very well on TVs, it's unlikely that there would be a dvd release until the technology improves and becomes affordable. I'm sure that will happen at some point, but for right now, it means no plans for a dvd.

They also probably figure that the Vertigo Tour is pretty well covered until then with the (partial) Milan and Chicago dvds.

Last edited by cerulean; 01-30-08 at 03:33 AM.
Old 01-30-08, 10:31 AM
  #33  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
C-Mart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Des Moines, WA
Posts: 3,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cerulean
I've seen a couple of articles that mentioned it -- not so much that it will only ever be released in theaters, but that it would only be released in 3D. And since current technology doesn't reproduce 3D very well on TVs, it's unlikely that there would be a dvd release until the technology improves and becomes affordable. I'm sure that will happen at some point, but for right now, it means no plans for a dvd.

They also probably figure that the Vertigo Tour is pretty well covered until then with the (partial) Milan and Chicago dvds.
True... I put the Chicago disk in as soon as I got home from seeing U23D.
Old 01-30-08, 02:15 PM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Frisco,TX.
Posts: 570
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I really liked it, although I'm a bit biased as they could film anything and I would love it.

Highlights:

South American Crowd...Wow, makes me feel ashamed to be a fan in the US. They rocked and some of the crowd shots (when they are bouncing) were very cool.

The Fly. Loved all the stuff going on with the text.

Vertigo...Showed off the 3D effects and the crowd was into it!

Liked the little animations and such that Bono did, and during the credits.

I thought the sound was great!

I liked that it was a little shorter too. The 3D effects are overwhelming and while I'd love a full 2 hour show, this was a great selection of music. (Missing the best song of the tour though, without having "The Electric Co." in the setlist)

NOTE TO U2: Please use folks like Catherine Owens to FILM your future concerts. This was shot 1000's better than the recent Hamish Hamilton stuff (2005's Live from Chicago, 2001's Live From Slane Castle and Live from Boston) She took her time on shots and wasn't so CUT/CUT/CUT...Slow sweeping camera shots works much better for a band like U2.

It was nice to meet you Supr, sorry we didn't hang longer, I didn't want to bug you at work!
Once again Chrisedge tells it like it is for every U2 fan out here.Bravo!!
Old 01-30-08, 04:20 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,523
Received 6,354 Likes on 4,347 Posts
Originally Posted by One_hung_low
Good news. Check out the U23Dmovie.com site. It looks as if this will be in most theaters that are equipped for 3-D on 02/15/08.
Thanks for the update. I was going to delay Lost and watch it by myself tomorrow night at 9:30, but sure enough it returns to the same theater on 2/15.
Old 01-31-08, 09:26 AM
  #36  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 7,541
Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts
I saw it again last night...
Spoiler:
The crowd shot at the beginning of Streets! Terrific!
and there is a shot durning "Sometimes...that shows the Edge and the screenshot of Bono from the Video Wall, that is awesome...I saw the Ice Cream vendor on the floor too...That would be nice here in the US


Saw it in Irvine...

Last edited by Chrisedge; 01-31-08 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-31-08, 11:27 AM
  #37  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Palm Springs and Los Angeles
Posts: 23,316
Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Saw it last night in SF at the Metreon, Glad I did, the 3D was very very cool.

I also loved the overhead shots of Larry's Drumkit, it's one thing I wish they could do for the dvd release allow you to just focus on one band member for the entire show.

I thought the execution was great, especially when they did some shots from out in the audience, and you had people standing in front of you.

A couple of times (theater was empty) people walked in front of the screen, and you had to do a double take to figure out if it was a real person or something on the screen.

My only complaint was about the sound. I wanted that kick in the pants from the bassline, and maybe my theater just didn't have it, oh and it wasn't loud enough.

But I almost teared up during the intro to Streets. That was amazing. and in general I don't like Streets, it's one of those songs for me that I really only enjoy in the live performance. Others are Pride and Bullet, something about them when played live takes them to a whole new level for me.
Old 01-31-08, 12:18 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 7,541
Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
...it's one thing I wish they could do for the dvd release allow you to just focus on one band member for the entire show.
It's been rumored/stated that there will be NO DVD release until home theater equipment can display 3D movies well. So don't count on a DVD release anytime soon.

Old 01-31-08, 04:13 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 22,980
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I saw it again last night...
Spoiler:
The crowd shot at the beginning of Streets! Terrific!
and there is a shot durning "Sometimes...that shows the Edge and the screenshot of Bono from the Video Wall, that is awesome...I saw the Ice Cream vendor on the floor too...That would be nice here in the US


Saw it in Irvine...
Oh man why'd you give it away? You ruined the whole movie for me now that i know the plot.
Old 02-03-08, 09:20 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
alfredog1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,621
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
Saw this today at Irvine...awesome! I wanted to yell at those Argentinean chicks to sit down because they were blocking the view...felt like you were really there....A+!
Old 02-04-08, 09:54 AM
  #41  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mdc3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 9,921
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw this yesterday and LOVED IT. It was just like being there (I found it odd that there were so many shirtless dudes on people's shoulders...that would just be weird) and the 3D worked pretty great for the most part, not to mention the sound kicked serious ass.

I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have though, because before the movie started there was nearly a FIGHT in my theatre. A guy kept yelling out for 'the fucking movie to start', people asked him to stop yelling out obscenities because there were lots of children there and then the guy tried to pick a fight with one guy. Security came and the swearing guy had to be kicked out, but not before he chucked something (a poster stand or something) at the front row of the audience. So that was unsettling and everytime someone came into the theatre, I had to look over to make sure it wasn't McCrazy coming back in for revenge on the audience that got him kicked out... Other than that, A GREAT CONCERT FILM that any U2 fan NEEDS to see ASAP!
Old 02-04-08, 10:22 AM
  #42  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,630
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
question - so does this open wide to the DLP systems this Friday after that other 3D film leaves?
Old 02-04-08, 10:31 AM
  #43  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 7,541
Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
question - so does this open wide to the DLP systems this Friday after that other 3D film leaves?
Disney announced that HM: 3D can now play for as long as theaters want. (it was supposed to run just a week) Will be interesting to see if U2 gets bumped...
Old 02-07-08, 11:32 AM
  #44  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Lincoln Theatres in Manhattan have start time after 9 PM weekdays. Thats pretty dumb!
Old 02-07-08, 12:07 PM
  #45  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,630
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Eli Manning
Stupid Lincoln Theatres in Manhattan have start time after 9 PM weekdays. Thats pretty dumb!
yeah, apparently 'I Am Legend' (IMAX) is still doing well, so they don't do a 7pm showing.
Old 02-07-08, 03:23 PM
  #46  
DRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: ND
Posts: 13,421
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
question - so does this open wide to the DLP systems this Friday after that other 3D film leaves?
I know at our theater it was scheduled to open 2 weeks after HM for as long as it was listed for presell (well over a month ago), so I'm assuming someone knew there was a possibility of HM being extended for a while now. It will be interesting to see what happens if Disney goes for a third week with HM.
Old 02-16-08, 09:32 AM
  #47  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,523
Received 6,354 Likes on 4,347 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Disney announced that HM: 3D can now play for as long as theaters want. (it was supposed to run just a week) Will be interesting to see if U2 gets bumped...
Looks like that's exactly what happened. It was supposed to open wide here this weekend, but their website is now showing 2/22 instead. Wind it up, Hannah, I want some U2!
Old 02-19-08, 03:56 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,518
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully this is still on track to open in Real D theaters this weekend; I passed on the IMAX version.
Old 02-19-08, 04:13 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 7,541
Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts
As of this morning it still shows it's opening in many theaters on Feb 22, 2008
Old 02-20-08, 08:23 AM
  #50  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
sauce07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 6,547
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Looks like most theaters are showing Hannah Montana during the day and U23D at night this weekend. I'll be in line

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.