Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Beck: Odelay - Deluxe Edition (01/29/08)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-03-08, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from pitchforkmedia:

Lord (only) knows Beck's Odelay is a readymade, ramshackle, Catskill-rockin' classic. The 1996 hunk of hot wax belongs on just about every record-holding shelf we can think of, and if you don't already have it, now would be the time that we gently chide you into heading to a retail location of your preference to pick up a copy.

Or, better yet, wait until January 29, when the two-disc Odelay - Deluxe Edition will be released from Geffen/UMe featuring 19 tracks not available on the original version. It also features brand new artwork. Pretty cool, huh?

Although the exact order of the tracklist hasn't been confirmed yet, we do know which extra goodies will be tacked on to the set, and they offer a solid overview of Beck at his cold-lampin' collagist peak. (UPDATE: FULL TRACKLIST AVAILABLE NOW! SEE BELOW) From the original Odelay sessions come the previously unreleased tracks "Inferno" and "Gold Chains", both produced by the Dust Brothers. There's the Life Less Ordinary soundtrack cut "Deadweight", known for its kickass Michel Gondry video. Then there are three remixes: Aphex Twin's take on "Devil's Haircut" (aka "Richard's Hairpiece"), UNKLE's mix of "Where It's At", and Mickey P.'s version of "Devil's Haircut" (aka "American Wasteland"). And finally, a shit-ton of B-sides: the Mario Caldato Jr.-produced version of "Thunder Peel" (which originally showed up on Beck's 1994 album Stereopathetic Soulmanure), "Clock", "Electric Music and the Summer People", "Lemonade", "SA-5", "Feather in Your Cap" (which showed up on the SubUrbia soundtrack), "Erase the Sun", "000.000", "Brother", "Trouble All My Days", "Strange Invitation", a cover of Skip James' "Devil Got My Woman", and a Spanish language mariachi version of "Jackass" called "Burro".

In other Beck news, he's been nominated for a Best Rock Vocal Grammy for the recent iTunes-only surprise "Timebomb" single, and he recently helped the White Stripes with their "Conquest". And he did something with Jamie Lidell, but we still really want to know exactly what that something is.

Odelay - Deluxe Edition:

Disc One:

Original album:

01 Devil's Haircut
02 Hotwax
03 Lord Only Knows
04 The New Pollution
05 Derelict
06 Novacane
07 Jack-Ass
08 Where It's At
09 Minus
10 Sissyneck
11 Readymade
12 High 5 (Rock the Catskills)
13 Ramshackle
14 Hidden Track

Bonus tracks:

15 Deadweight
16 Inferno
17 Gold Chains

Disc Two:

01 Where It's At (UNKLE remix)
02 Richard's Hairpiece (Aphex Twin remix of "Devil's Haircut")
03 American Wasteland (Mickey P. remix of "Devil's Haircut")
04 Clock
05 Thunder Peel
06 Electric Music and the Summer People
07 Lemonade
08 SA-5
09 Feather in Your Cap
10 Erase the Sun
11 000.000
12 Brother
13 Devil Got My Woman
14 Trouble All My Days
15 Strange Invitation
16 Burro

----------------

I'm sure this will be pricey but it seems like a solid package for Beck fans.
Old 01-03-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My favorite Beck album. Will own it.
Old 01-03-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
no discobox = no sale It does look like mostly b-sides from that era. Overall very enjoyable.
Old 01-03-08, 01:08 PM
Banned by request

I'll get it. How can I not?
Old 01-03-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Can't find my old copy anywhere (along with Mutations), so I'll probably spring for this.
Old 01-03-08, 01:41 PM

Hmm.When I heard Deluxe Edition I was hoping more for a Hi-Rez multichannel release like Sea Change or Guero. Oh Well.
Old 01-03-08, 05:40 PM

Classic Beck, yeah I'm gonna grab this.
Old 01-03-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wouldn't ya know it? I just picked up a used copy of the 1-disc version at Amoeba last night. Will definitely double-dip on this one, though.
Old 01-03-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How many b-sides from that side are missing? Any Beckophiles know for certain?
Old 01-03-08, 09:31 PM

I think I have all these songs because I picked up a bunch of beck singles for a buck a piece. Still may pick this up if the packaging is good.
Old 01-03-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by reubs82
How many b-sides from that side are missing? Any Beckophiles know for certain?
The one I was looking for is "Electric Music and the Summer People" of which I don't have a disc copy of. There were two versions: one (1998) appeared in Stray Blues (and has Beck's post-Odelay vocals: aka the "Mutations" whiney voice he's used since then). The earlier 1996 version did not have that.

Until the release of Midnite Vultures I think I had every known Beck B-side and live recording. They're all archived on CDR somewhere. I've been picking up CD singles and import versions of his albums since then.

It's cool that there's another Skip Spence cover song. I really, really dug "Halo of Gold".

One of my favorite B-sides is from Mutations: Runners Dial Zero. I believe a member here even named themselves after that song.

I stopped being such a big fan after Midnite Vultures. I hated that album. It's still the only album I don't own and I've bought them all on Day 1.

I'd love legit releases of Golden Feelings and A Western Harvest Field by Moonlight.
Old 01-04-08, 07:29 AM

Other than Inferno and Gold Chains, I've got these all somewhere else on cd or vinyl. Won't stop me from picking it up, though! It'll be nice to have them all in one place.
Old 01-04-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Speaking of which, anyone know of the cheapest pre-order prices online? DD is about $24, which seems decent...
Old 01-24-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Speaking of which, anyone know of the cheapest pre-order prices online? DD is about $24, which seems decent...
$19.99 at Best Buy next week.
Old 01-24-08, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dobby
Hmm.When I heard Deluxe Edition I was hoping more for a Hi-Rez multichannel release like Sea Change or Guero. Oh Well.

Exactly. I thought "The Information" deluxe package would be Hi-Rez/multichannel. He definitely spoiled us w/ Guero/Sea Change. Of course, I was also hoping Guerolito would be multichannel. Along w/ The Flaming Lips, he sets or "set" the bar high, in his case.
Old 01-26-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally found a site that has clips of this. I listened to the clips from Disc 2 and I don't really like most of it. Definitely sounds like b-side material, in other words shit that wasn't good enough to make the regular release. I'll pass on this one.
Old 01-30-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Anybody pick this up yesterday? I grabbed a copy from a local record store last night and gave it a spin. So far, it's not bad...definitely a few keepers on Disc 2, but I'd still rather have a multi-channel mix than anything else.
Old 01-30-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Anybody pick this up yesterday? I grabbed a copy from a local record store last night and gave it a spin. So far, it's not bad...definitely a few keepers on Disc 2, but I'd still rather have a multi-channel mix than anything else.
i picked it up at BB for 19.99.

came with some "exclusive" little postcards.

i'm with yah on the mulit-channel longing, but i'd take a re-release with a bonus disc full o material too.
Old 02-01-08, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
One of my favorite B-sides is from Mutations: Runners Dial Zero. I believe a member here even named themselves after that song.
[/b].
You rang?

I was looking for a new E-mail address back in 1999 and was going through some Beck albums, I was big in to him them, and looking for cool song titles.

Settles on runnersdialzero. Used it ever since.

Doesn't hurt that it's a bad ass song as well.
Old 02-04-08, 12:24 AM

I hear that the first pressings have wrong lyrics on them and that he plans correct them for the second pressings.
Old 02-04-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gatoinfeliz
I hear that the first pressings have wrong lyrics on them and that he plans correct them for the second pressings.
source?
Old 02-04-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
source?
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/n...s-wrong-lyrics
Old 02-09-08, 06:27 AM

Nice
Old 02-28-08, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I'd love legit releases of Golden Feelings and A Western Harvest Field by Moonlight.
There's copies of both on eBay right now.

http://www.whiskeyclone.net/ghost/

I used to use this (and Diskobox at beck.com ) to get the catalog numbers of singles with songs I didn't have, then plug them into auto-notify on eBay.

No b-sides these days to make buying the singles worthwhile.

My favorite Beck buy was tracking down Gus Hudson and ordering a few copies of A Hot Wild Drive in the City from him.