Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

R.E.M.: Accelerate - 04/01/08

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

R.E.M.: Accelerate - 04/01/08

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have now listened to the new record a total of 3 times. I am still on the fence about it. The first listen, I thought most of the songs sounded the same (could have been due to the fact that I was cleaning the yard at the time). But, it has been growing on me. Perhaps I will like it more and more over time. I didn't really care for Monster the first few listens and it is now one of my favorite REM disks.
Old 04-10-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Billboard
R.E.M., which has been stuck in the commercial and creative wilderness for the past decade of so, debuted at No. 2 with "Accelerate." The Warner Bros. release sold 115,000 copies.

R.E.M.'s previous studio album, "Around the Sun," debuted at No. 13 in 2004 with 59,000 copies. The band last made a big impression with 1996's "New Adventures in Hi-Fi," which opened with 226,500 units, narrowly missing out on the No. 1 spot.
Old 04-10-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts
This album might be good, it might not. I can't tell because of the piss-poor mastering. It all sounds like sludge, there's no dynamics and it sounds like everything was just cranked up to 12.

I miss the days when albums were mastered for listening on home stereos instead of ipods.
Old 04-11-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eddie W
I miss the days when albums were mastered for listening on home stereos instead of ipods.
Those days are long gone for pop music. Also, there is no way this is one louder than Spinal Tap.

Last edited by orangecrush; 04-11-08 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-11-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie W
This album might be good, it might not. I can't tell because of the piss-poor mastering. It all sounds like sludge, there's no dynamics and it sounds like everything was just cranked up to 12.

Yep. Excellent point.