Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Christian Rock : The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Christian Rock : The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveWadding
I know THAT existed. but there was never an album before their first one with Bring Me to Life on it.
I would consider it (origin) to be their first album. The band has since said it was more of a demos record, but I don't accept an 11 song cd released on a label not being an album. All that aside, I like origin better than fallen. I think they should have stuck with more electronic sounding drums.
Old 12-03-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush18
I would consider it (origin) to be their first album. The band has since said it was more of a demos record, but I don't accept an 11 song cd released on a label not being an album. All that aside, I like origin better than fallen. I think they should have stuck with more electronic sounding drums.

It's definitely their 1st album...but it still doesnt have Bring Me to Life on it.
Old 12-12-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll join in on the chorus of praise for Pedro the Lion/David Bazan.

I like a band called Bleach, who are also considered "Christian Rock"

Dishwalla is kinda up there for me, but I only dug a few songs. The lead singer has an amazing voice, though.

Other Christian Rock bands I've heard of and listened to, but never really got into, were Plankeye, Seventh Day Jesus, and All Star United.

I like the first J.O.C. album, too.
Old 12-12-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
Other Christian Rock bands I've heard of and listened to, but never really got into, were Plankeye, Seventh Day Jesus, and All Star United.
I stopped listening to CCM in 2000, but each of those bands had some fantastic songs.

I also really like the second Common Children album as well as the freakin' fantastic album "Love and Poverty" by Christine Glass.

The funny thing about some even smaller bands is how truly underground they really are. Take a band that is already indie-ish and tag it Christian and you just segmented the hell out of it. There was a time period from '96 to '99 where I mostly only purchased Christian oriented music and plenty of it stood up to whatever secular counterparts were out there. It fascinated me that this music existed.

But, of course, there is a mountain of dung as well. Way too much of it just followed what was mainstream about two years behind the times.
Old 12-13-07, 09:39 PM

I will wholeheartedly endorse the aforementioned Anberlin, Demon Hunter, Project 86 and Skillet and add a few of my own: needtobreathe, DecembeRadio and Staple.
Old 12-14-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 174 Posts
do P.O.D. and Creed count?
Old 12-14-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
mewithoutYou.
mewithoutyou is an absolutely incredible band no matter what religious affiliation you have.

The only other Christian band i ever really listen to is Embodyment. They are also very good and don't beat you over the head with their message.
Old 12-17-07, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts
Bazan put on another great show at the Croc in Seattle this past Saturday. (which as it turns out was that venue's last night open....sad)
Old 12-17-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am torn between: Stigmatalingus and Crucifictorious
Old 12-17-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
No one's mentioned MxPx?
Old 12-19-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Originally Posted by xmiyux
mewithoutyou is an absolutely incredible band no matter what religious affiliation you have.

The only other Christian band i ever really listen to is Embodyment. They are also very good and don't beat you over the head with their message.
If you are going the more metal route (early Embodyment), I would highly recommend Extol. Mesmerized is amazing.

I also forgot to mention Roadside Monument. Non-traditional song structures with great musicians.
Old 12-20-07, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I stopped listening to CCM in 2000, but each of those bands had some fantastic songs.

I also really like the second Common Children album as well as the freakin' fantastic album "Love and Poverty" by Christine Glass.

The funny thing about some even smaller bands is how truly underground they really are. Take a band that is already indie-ish and tag it Christian and you just segmented the hell out of it. There was a time period from '96 to '99 where I mostly only purchased Christian oriented music and plenty of it stood up to whatever secular counterparts were out there. It fascinated me that this music existed.

But, of course, there is a mountain of dung as well. Way too much of it just followed what was mainstream about two years behind the times.
I agree, there were always some songs that stood out.

For instance, another Christian rock band -- PFR (Pray for Rain) -- has one of the sickest songs on one of their albums. It's called "Goldie's Last Day." And it's about the death of someone's beloved dog. But I love the harmonies and the production values on that song alone.

Have you heard of them?
Old 12-20-07, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi

I agree, there were always some songs that stood out.

For instance, another Christian rock band -- PFR (Pray for Rain) -- has one of the sickest songs on one of their albums. It's called "Goldie's Last Day." And it's about the death of someone's beloved dog. But I love the harmonies and the production values on that song alone.

Have you heard of them?
Old 12-20-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
For instance, another Christian rock band -- PFR (Pray for Rain)...I love the harmonies and the production values on that song alone.

Have you heard of them?
Yeah, they had some fantastic songs. "Great Lengths" and "Them" were excellent recordings (although it looks like AMG has them lower rated than the others... definitely do not agree with that). These guys obviously like the Beatles. And Mark Nash, the drummer, is married to Leigh Nash of Sixpence None The Richer, another brilliant band probably marred by their hit singles. Marred as in people probably have no clue how amazing their '97 self-titled album is if they only heard "Kiss Me" (which I do like anyway!).
Old 12-20-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts
My favorite Sixpence album is "This Beautiful Mess." Good stuff. They went downhill quickly after that.
Old 12-20-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cdollaz
My favorite Sixpence album is "This Beautiful Mess." Good stuff. They went downhill quickly after that.
Nooooooo!!! The album right after "This Beautiful Mess" is light years more accomplished. I mean, great songs, great production and interesting lyrics.
Old 12-20-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But that is the one with all of the pop crap on it, IIRC.
Old 12-20-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cdollaz
But that is the one with all of the pop crap on it, IIRC.
Really? I think there are a few fairly complex and "hard to get right away" songs on it. The first three in fact. "Kiss Me" is really the only song that's flat out pop-sounding. At least 10 years ago.
Old 12-20-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dont' remember that one well. I remember buying it right when it came out, listening to it 2 or 3 times, and selling it. There was obviously something about it I didn't like, but after this long I couldn't tell you what it is. Maybe it wasn't that the music was pop-y but something else.
Old 12-21-07, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My favorite Christian Rock band is Pillar. I am a little biased because the lead singer is my cousin. They are nominated for a Grammy this year. Check them out at www.pillarmusic.com and www.youtube.com/pillartv

Last edited by edstein; 12-21-07 at 07:26 AM.