Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Most Pretentious and Overrated New Bands/Artists

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Most Pretentious and Overrated New Bands/Artists

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-07, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 223 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Any band called The "something".
Actually, keeping in mind that it is a generalization, I agree with him. Sure, there are good "The..." bands out there, but a good chunk of them fit the OP's bill.
Old 11-21-07, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My votes go to Pete Doherty and/or The Liberteens, The Enemy, The View, The Fratellis and The Feeling. Not a particular fan of Amy Winehouse, but anyone who thinks that girl hasn't got a one in a generation voice is on more crack than she is.
Old 11-21-07, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vedderstapp
The Fratellis.
This thread is quite baffling to me, aside from the fact that people are caling bands "new" that have been around for over 12 years, what one earth do you people consider "pretentious". Please explain what is pretentious about The Fratellis, a band whose songs are all light-hearted about drinking, girls, & pretty much just having fun.
Old 11-21-07, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
This thread is quite baffling to me, aside from the fact that people are caling bands "new" that have been around for over 12 years, what one earth do you people consider "pretentious". Please explain what is pretentious about The Fratellis, a band whose songs are all light-hearted about drinking, girls, & pretty much just having fun.
Thread title: The Most Pretentious and Overrated New Bands/Artists
Old 11-21-07, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Sorry, I should have said any NEW band called "The (blank)".

Examples would be: The Killers, The Hives, The White Stripes, The Decemberists, The Arcade Fire, The Used, etc.
The White Stripes are not "new" Also, my pal Kim is in a band called The Muffs (also not new):

Old 11-21-07, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I would love to know this as well. The Fratellis are not overrated as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-21-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
So, you've never heard them, but think they suck. Um-kay.

Critics like them? Never knew that. They do suck it up.

You are now my mortal enemy!

Not always the case, but bands with no sense of humor bug me.
No I said new music sucks. But I'd have to agree with the statement from another poster that any band that's named "the" something sucks.
Old 11-21-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why pick on the "The" bands, when you've got bands that start with "Of" and "And" out there?
Old 11-21-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
I just heard some Death Cab For Cutie on the radio this morning and was reminded of this thread. Their lyrics (and sound) make me want to beat them up and take their lunch money...
Old 11-21-07, 11:26 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by slop101
I just heard some Death Cab For Cutie on the radio this morning and was reminded of this thread. Their lyrics (and sound) make me want to beat them up and take their lunch money...

But did they make you want to punch babies?
Old 11-21-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love the people getting defensive in here when someone calls "their band" pretentious.
Old 11-21-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
The White Stripes are not "new" Also, my pal Kim is in a band called The Muffs (also not new):

I love me some Muffs! Great band. I saw them play the Casbah in SD with another great band called the Queers around 10 - 12 years ago and they blew my ears off. Most recently I saw them again at the Casbah with Limbeck.

Last edited by slymer; 11-21-07 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-21-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Toad

I love the people getting defensive in here when someone calls "their band" pretentious.

No kidding, I like a lot of the bands listed here - Bright Eyes, Decemberists, Death Cab. Don't take it personal people.
Old 11-21-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by LiquidSky

Fakest. Wig. Evar.
Does the Muff match the drapes?
Old 11-21-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mopower
No I said new music sucks.
What do you mean by this blanket statement? All new music sucks? If you really believe that I kind of feel sorry for you.
Old 11-21-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I sort of agree with him. I can't find anything by "new" bands that I like.

New stuff from older bands is okay to me, but I just can't get into the new music scene.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older.
Old 11-21-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Music is as good now as it's ever been in my opinion. I guess you just have to know where to look. I consider debut album by Gaslight Anthem one of my alltime favorites, and it came out in 2007.
Old 11-21-07, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe it's because I'm getting older.
I'm almost 43 and there has never been one year since I fell in love with rock music in the early 70's that has produced no good new music to listen to. I can certainly understand someone only mildly into music and not hearing anything great on the airwaves, but a small look around will expose fantastic new music pretty much any month of the year.
Old 11-21-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slymer
Music is as good now as it's ever been in my opinion. I guess you just have to know where to look. I consider debut album by Gaslight Anthem one of my alltime favorites, and it came out in 2007.
In my opinion, music will never be as good as it was when you had the Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Beatles, Who, etc., all recording in the same span of years.

I'm glad you guys find something to like today. I just hope it's not that nonsense I sometimes hear on Sirius' Top 40 station. (Kidding! Sort of...)
Old 11-21-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slymer
Music is as good now as it's ever been in my opinion.
I agree with this. I mean, I'm as big a fan of classic bands like Zeppelin, Beatles, et all, but you can only listen to them for so long before they get stale. The only problem is that most of the newer music that fans of "older" bands would like is rather underground and "indy", as opposed to similarly talented bands that were on the majors in the '60s, '70s and '80s. It just takes effort to seek it out - and if you don't want to do the work, you just don't care about music - at least not as much as you say you do.
Old 11-21-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In my opinion, music will never be as good as it was when you had the Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Beatles, Who, etc., all recording in the same span of years.

I'm glad you guys find something to like today. I just hope it's not that nonsense I sometimes hear on Sirius' Top 40 station. (Kidding! Sort of...)

I can't remember the last time I voluntarily listened to music on the radio. That doesn't mean I hate everything on the radio, I'd just rather be in control of what I listen to. And they do play alot of crap on the radio.
Old 11-21-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I "care about music," but I don't have time to seek out and discover bands to like.
Old 11-21-07, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No votes for "My Chemical Romance"?
Old 11-21-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I "care about music," but I don't have time to seek out and discover bands to like.
All I meant is that you obviously have things that take precedence over it, otherwise you'd make the time. Nothing wrong with that, and I'm not making a judgment call, but if it truly mattered to you like I'm suggesting, it'd be something you did without even thinking about it, like eating.
Old 11-22-07, 08:33 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Modest Mouse

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.