Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dannii Minogue : Just Got "Neon Nights (Deluxe Edition)" ~ WOW

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-07, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think venturing past Kylie into her little sister Dannii's music is paying off very nicely for me. Took a chance on the 2 CD Release of her album "Neon Nights", and wow, every track is a revelation. Even if you're not into 'pop', you will like this. If you liked Kylie's 'Fever' album, this is, to me, at least twice as good as that.

Why is she not better known? From the booklet, I think shes actually prettier than Kylie as well....
Old 11-20-07, 04:12 AM

She was at first more famous than her older sister in Australia (they are both actresses as well) until Kylie became massively famous. I have always preferred Dannii's material especially more after the Neon Nights era than her sister. She always seems to be able to have more fun while Kylie is expected to turn out good tunes.

If you love Neon Nights you might try "The Hits And Beyond" a sorta greatest hits collection with a bunch of new songs. She released a deluxe edition of "Girl" although that album is very dodgy (you might try the tracks from said album on the Hits and Beyond to see if you like them enough to buy it). She also released a internet only album of her club tracks called Club Disco from the Neon Nights era to the present and Unleashed which has unreleased stuff from her Girl era to the present.

She is highly underrated and to me is more of a better singer than Kylie as well as having some better material than her. She's currently a judge on the X Factor in the UK (a sort of American Idol type program that spawned some boring girl who's going to become huge - Leona Lewis).

Try this entertaining page called Dannii's Dirty Box which has massive amounts of information on her as well as reviews of her work.

http://danniisdirtybox.blogspot.com/
Old 11-20-07, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Buckleyesque
I think venturing past Kylie into her little sister Dannii's music is paying off very nicely for me. Took a chance on the 2 CD Release of her album "Neon Nights", and wow, every track is a revelation. Even if you're not into 'pop', you will like this. If you liked Kylie's 'Fever' album, this is, to me, at least twice as good as that.

Why is she not better known? From the booklet, I think shes actually prettier than Kylie as well....
As a Kylie fan I initially saw Dannii as an annoyance (like Latoya to Michael Jackson- not that I like him or anything), but I enjoyed a good chunk of her stuff and with Neon Nights I felt she had actually made an album better than Kylie's recent dance/pop stuff. Possibly even better than Madonna's Confessions On A Dance Floor. I don't know why this album wasn't enough for her to get more respect. I agree with the other poster that the next best place for you would be Hits and Beyond. There's a ton of new material on there, and you can get an idea of her past albums. Some editions come with a DVD, which from my experience plays in some US DVD players and not others.
Old 11-21-07, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I prefer Dannii to Kylie to be honest, but not the early stuff. I love The Hits And Beyond cd, but I admit I mostly get bored with the 1991-ish songs in the middle of the disc. I think "All I Wanna Do" from 97 was where Dannii was reborn and found her true calling in Eurodance.
Old 11-21-07, 10:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I tried out Dannii's contemporary album to Fever (was that Neon Nights? I can't remember) and found it to be very bland. They're both talented, but I think Kylie is a little smarter about picking material and collaborators.

Edit: I just looked it up, and yeah, it was Neon Nights. By the way, if you haven't seen it, there's a really funny skit that was on Kylie's TV show on ITV which featured Dannii.

Last edited by Supermallet; 11-21-07 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-21-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Neon Nights is aging better than Fever. Fever has dated pretty badly over the past couple years, Neon Nights still has a bit more freshness to it for the genre. Hell, "All I Wanna Do" is 10 years old and sounds fresher than anything off Fever now IMO
Old 11-22-07, 03:42 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, I'll give Neon Nights another spin, then. Although I don't think Fever has dated badly at all. It's got a pretty timeless disco sound to most of it. Body Language, on the other hand, I think is already dated.
Old 11-22-07, 10:41 AM

I didn't like Neon Nights initially.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WL67Mg3bIOk