Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Yoko Ono : "Yes, I'm A Witch" : What an Album!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Yoko Ono : "Yes, I'm A Witch" : What an Album!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I am so sick and tired of all the blaming Yoko for the Beatles breakup.

Why is this taken as fact? Is there some sort of record of it, where the Beatles or any of its' members officially stated so?

For what its worth, Im glad John met someone as talented and artistic as Yoko, because even though I cant call myself an authority on her work, I think she is WAY AHEAD OF HER TIME and always has been. I once read this book "Y E S" - a huge coffee table book exclusively about her art, and she has been productive for decades, and many many years before she even met John. I really respect her.

Also, none of us have probably lived through watching your life partner being shot and killed in front of you. There is a photograph - one photograph - of Yoko exiting the hospital seconds after discovering that John had just died. You should see her face in that one - a terrible human expression pain at its most primal. You cant hate her, really. She doesn't deserve it.

That said, back to this album, you should listen to it despite your thoughts on the singer behind it. Either way, this is a solid album from start to finish, which is more than i can say for most other albums released this year...

Also remember, without Yoko, we wouldn't have Sean Lennon (perhaps his generations most underrated singer)
Old 11-19-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Basically as she and John became a couple, they spent most of their time together including time when John was in the studio, putting her influence into the direction that the band was taking. This drove a wedge between him and the other three.

As an example of her influence, exhibit A would be "Revolution 9" off of the white album. There is no way that the Beatles would have made something like that by themselves.

There’s a discussion of the breakup of the Beatles at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatles_breakup#Yoko_Ono

… In May of 1968 they [Lennon and Ono] spent time together in his home studio while his [Lennon’s] wife, Cynthia, was away on holiday. They recorded an avant-garde tape that would eventually be released as Unfinished Music #1: Two Virgins, before consummating their new relationship. From that point on, the two were rarely apart, including when Lennon was working with the rest of the band in the studio. This violated a previous tacit agreement between the members not to let wives or girlfriends into the studio. However, as John Lennon's artistic infatuation with Yoko Ono grew, he desired that she would be alloted artistic input into the band's recordings.[14] Though infrequent, Yoko Ono would comment or make suggestions in the recording studio which caused them to resent her even more. [3][15][5]

Ono has been accused by some music historians and fans[citation needed] of "breaking up The Beatles", while others argue that the breakup was caused by the fact that the Beatles were moving in different directions musically and personally ...
That being said... I do respect that she is still involved in making music such as this. The list of the top ten dead moneymakers was released a couple weeks ago and John Lennon was near the top with something like $40 million still being brought in each year. She doesn't need to make music, she's filthy rich. And the main problem I had with her music in the '70s was that it was too "off the wall" - at least on this album she had nothing to do with the music itself.

I'll listen to it some more, but I do really need to spend time with my REM CDs.

Last edited by Heat; 11-19-07 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-20-07, 01:04 AM

Does anyone own "Season of Glass" by Yoko Ono from 1980?? That is by far her most stripped down and acoustic album.
Old 11-21-07, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
I respect Yoko as a person, feel a great deal of sympathy for her because of what happened to John, and am glad that she is able to live her life without him. I didn't personally see it, but from what I read, the John Lennon tribute she put together for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was incredibly moving.

That said, I do not like any of her music. Sorry. Does that make me an ignoramus?
well, there's a difference between you and 99% of the people out there who don't like Yoko. All the time I encounter people who hate her with a fiery passion for reasons besides her music, and could never take 30 seconds to try to judge Yoko on her own merits, independent from John Lennon or The Beatles.

Yoko's music is an acquired taste and not for everyone. You admit she is not for you, more power to you. But that is so much different than some of the hateful things people have said about her on various websites and message boards.
Old 11-21-07, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Heat
That being said... I do respect that she is still involved in making music such as this. The list of the top ten dead moneymakers was released a couple weeks ago and John Lennon was near the top with something like $40 million still being brought in each year. She doesn't need to make music, she's filthy rich. And the main problem I had with her music in the '70s was that it was too "off the wall" - at least on this album she had nothing to do with the music itself.
what 70's albums are you familiar with? Seems like you only heard Plastic Ono Band and Fly, both of which were like long acid trips and even this Ono fan has to admit are tedious to get through... but I've never tripped acid so I guess I wasn't supposed to enjoy the albums otherwise. But her mid-70's music was much more stripped down and conventional and she was in a confessional female singer-songwriter Carly Simon/Joni Mitchell type of vein and it was actually really good if you're able to tolerate her voice (I believe Yoko's voice is the biggest stumbling block for a lot of people).

Then in the post-Lennon 80's years we saw her flirting with new wave, reggae and dance-pop, and then she really had her renaissance in the 90's with Rising, because I think the age of alternative music was really welcoming to her.
Old 11-21-07, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Buckleyesque
Does anyone own "Season of Glass" by Yoko Ono from 1980?? That is by far her most stripped down and acoustic album.
I have it (I have every one of her albums). That is a very powerful album and you can feel Yoko's uneasiness during the sessions. The demo of "I Don't Know Why", which is a bonus track on the CD, was recorded the morning after Lennon's murder and it's absolutely heartbreaking to listen to because Yoko struggles like hell to get through the song without completely losing it.

Definately a powerful album, and having "Walking On Thin Ice" added as a bonus track to it (this was before Double Fantasy was remastered and WOTI was added to it) definately enhances the album even more.

You should check out (if you haven't already) 1982's "It's Alright (I See Rainbows)", it's like the poppier sequel to the album. While an upbeat synth-pop song from the outset, "Never Say Goodbye" gets darker and more complex as the song progresses.

Avoid 1985's Starpeace at all costs. "Hell In Paradise" is a great track, but you can get that on her greatest hits compilation, everything else is just embarassingly bad on this album. It's like her recording an album full of Nickelodeon jingles, "Children Power", "The King Of The Zoo" anyone?