Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Reggae star Lucky Dube murdered

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-07, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

African Reggae Star Lucky Dube Killed
AP
Posted: 2007-10-19 09:43:06
Filed Under: Star Obituaries, Music News
JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (Oct. 19) - South African reggae star Lucky Dube was shot in an apparent carjacking attempt and died as he tried to drive away and crashed into a car and a tree, police and news reports said Friday.

The 43-year-old international star was shot Thursday night in front of his son, whom he was dropping off in Johannesburg's southern Rosettenville suburb, according to Police Capt. Cheryl Engelbrecht.

"His son was already out of the car. When he saw what was happening. He ran to ask for help," she said.

Police were looking for the perpetrators, Engelbrecht said.

The Star newspaper reported that three fellow musicians were among the first at the scene.

The newspaper quoted an unidentified witness as saying Dube's son was out of the car, a Chrysler sedan, when the singer was approached by two men who opened his door and shot him twice.

The wounded musician drove away and hit another car, causing him to lose control and hit a tree, the newspaper reported.

South Africa has one of the highest crime rates in the world, recording an average of 50 murders each day. U.N. crime statistics say one in three Johannesburg residents has been robbed.
Old 10-20-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Guess he wasn't so lucky after all.
Old 10-20-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awful story.
Old 10-20-07, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He was an incredible musician, perhaps those of you joking about his death should pull your heads out of your asses long enough to spin one of his cds.
Old 10-20-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Seriously. Those comments were really uncalled for.
Old 10-21-07, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by NORML54601
He was an incredible musician, perhaps those of you joking about his death should pull your heads out of your asses long enough to spin one of his cds.
Not interested. Reggae just doesn't do anything for me - sorry.

Look, no insult was intended, the line of that song just popped into my head with the idea of a reggae musician being shot.

And I doubt that you shed a tear when one of my favorite singers (Rhett Forrester) was shot in a carjacking around 1994. That murder in Atlanta is still unsolved and from all accounts the police department never put much effort into the investigation because he was a long haired Heavy Metal singer.

So don't get all righteous on me....
Old 10-21-07, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Not interested. Reggae just doesn't do anything for me - sorry.

Look, no insult was intended, the line of that song just popped into my head with the idea of a reggae musician being shot.

And I doubt that you shed a tear when one of my favorite singers (Rhett Forrester) was shot in a carjacking around 1994. That murder in Atlanta is still unsolved and from all accounts the police department never put much effort into the investigation because he was a long haired Heavy Metal singer.

So don't get all righteous on me....
I've never heard of Rhett Forrester so I don't suppose I did cry but I wouldn't have come and threadcrapped in the thread about his death either. And I have no control over the Atlanta PD or thier priorities now, or when I was 14.
Old 10-21-07, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree with the previous poster. Those who make fun of this without ever having heard one of the guy's records is pretty shitty.

He was pretty much the spiritual successor to Bob Marley, playing a pretty substantial part in the anti-apartheid movement. With no small amount of personal risk to his life.

He was a damn fine singer, to boot. This saddens me deeply.
Old 10-21-07, 10:14 AM
Mod Emeritus

The rest of this thread is reserved for those having something constructive to say.
Old 10-21-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A little bit more info:

By Jim Welte - MP3.com
October 19, 2007 at 11:42:00 AM | more stories by this author

South African singer was the victim of an apparent carjacking attempt as he dropped off his children in a Johannesburg suburb.

South African reggae star Lucky Dube, named by his mother after he survived health problems as a baby, was unable to live through an apparent carjacking near his home in a Johannesburg suburb last night. Dube was 43.
Lucky Dube

The singer, who released more than 20 albums in his illustrious career, was reportedly dropping his teenage son and daughter off in the Rosettenville suburb of the South African capital on Thursday evening when three shots were fired into his car.

Witnesses told BBC News that the wounded Dube tried to drive his Chrysler away and hit a tree after he was shot. He was then declared dead at the scene. Dube's children were out of the car at the time and unharmed.

Local police told The Times of Johannesburg that they are on the hunt for three men driving a blue VW Polo believed to have been involved in the botched hijacking.

Dube launched his career in 1979 as a singer in the traditional Zulu music style of mbaqanga, but switched to reggae in 1984 to express his anger against Apartheid.

He gained international prominence during the campaign against Apartheid in the late 1980s, and several of his Apartheid-era albums, among them Think About The Children and Prisoner, went platinum.

Dube is survived by his wife, Zanele, and seven children.