Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Maiden DVD's on the way in '08 Live After Death, Maiden England, History Part 2

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Iron Maiden DVD's on the way in '08 Live After Death, Maiden England, History Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by emanon
I can tell you from several different interactions, some personal and some reported, that at least the Bruce portion of "the Maiden guys" can be complete asses to their fans. If the others are like him...you didn't miss much.
I don't know why but that doesn't shock me at all. Although Nikko seems like he would be a cool guy to fans.
Old 05-31-08, 05:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
And oh...Janick is a fuckin' SPAZ He was really distracting, especially when the rest of the band was standing still playing complicated parts....there was JG actin' up.
I really don't get why he's still with the band. He was pretty superfluous the entire night.
Old 05-31-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I was at last night's show and it was fucking killer. I had Orch 1 seats, 20th row on the aisle near the center, so a perfect view with no one around me. It couldn't have been better. Anthrax was good, but I'm not a fan of the new lead singer. Maiden was fantastic. Great set list, lots of action and a ton of fun. My buddy and I had backstage passes, so we hung with some of the Anthrax dudes (my friend knows Charlie), but none of the Maiden guys came out to say hello. Oh well. Amazing show. I almost want to go again it was so much fun.
So, wait is anthrax on this tour too, or only for certain dates?
Old 05-31-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I don't know why but that doesn't shock me at all.
Bruce is certainly like that, but Steve Harris is way cool, and will go out of his way for the fans.
Old 05-31-08, 05:36 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
So, wait is anthrax on this tour too, or only for certain dates?
Only for certain dates.

Also, at this show, after the second song, Steve Harris starting gesturing angrily to someone at the audience. It went on for three or four minutes. Bruce started singing from offstage "I'm waiting...for the next song to begin..." Afterwards Bruce said "In the old days, Steve Harris would have jumped into the crowd and beat your face in with his bass guitar for starting a fight at one of our shows! But now we can't do that because we'd get sued to hell."
Old 05-31-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I really wanted to go to the show tonight, but the cost of a decent seat added in to the cost of gas to get there and it just wasn't feasable. Bummer.

I saw them last time, though (I've only missed 3 Iron Maiden tours in the last 24 years), and I'll probably catch them next time as well (when they have a new album to support). I'm betting they've got 2 more studio albums left in them - and if they can keep up the quality that they brought to the table with A Matter of Life and Death then that's a good thing...

But I know I'm gonna miss one hell of a show tonight. I sure hope they put out another concert DVD for this tour (I was surprised they didn't do that with the AMOLAD tour, really).
Old 05-31-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I really don't get why he's still with the band. He was pretty superfluous the entire night.
Well, SPAZNESS aside... according to Maiden, having the 3rd guitar there allows them to do stuff Live that they would've passed up in the past so who knows.
Old 05-31-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Only for certain dates.

Also, at this show, after the second song, Steve Harris starting gesturing angrily to someone at the audience. It went on for three or four minutes. Bruce started singing from offstage "I'm waiting...for the next song to begin..." Afterwards Bruce said "In the old days, Steve Harris would have jumped into the crowd and beat your face in with his bass guitar for starting a fight at one of our shows! But now we can't do that because we'd get sued to hell."

Yeah, I've seen them do that at other shows. I remember seeing them at Universal Amp when Bruce singled out an assmonkey in the pit who was being a jerk.
Old 06-01-08, 10:01 AM
Banned by request

Well, SPAZNESS aside... according to Maiden, having the 3rd guitar there allows them to do stuff Live that they would've passed up in the past so who knows.
He was a non-entity almost the entire night, and the only time I can remember him really taking front and center was Moonchild.
Old 06-01-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
He was a non-entity almost the entire night, and the only time I can remember him really taking front and center was Moonchild.
Yeah, I only remember him actually playing on a couple of solos. Was he even plugged in and playing most of the night.

The rest of the band looks like they are serious about their music, and he is prancing around like he is in Poison.
Old 06-01-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Only for certain dates.

That was the exact moment I went to the bathroom, but my buddy told me what happened. He also told me Bruce lives up to the "Dick" in his name, so I wasn't too concerned about trying to meet him.
Old 06-01-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Especially silly is slinging the guitar around his body and flipping it behind his arm.
Old 06-01-08, 12:35 PM
Banned by request

Does anyone know why the Iron Maiden website has been seemingly taken down? I can't access it at all.
Old 06-02-08, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Huh, he did quite a few solos. But don't forget that IM doesn't have one lead guitarist like other bands. For instance, in KISS, Paul has traditionally been considered the rhythm guitarist while the other guitarist...Ace, Vinnie, Bruce, or whatever "Gun for hire" Paul and Gene wrangle up... does the bulk of song solos.

Plus, having 3 guitars allows for a live sound similar to the studio because on the studio albums they often layer more than 2 guitars anyway. You know what I mean?

I remember reading this when Bruce and Adrian came back. The guys are being asked about having 3 guitars. I spoilerized it for length.

Spoiler:

2) Three Guitars for the first time - how will that work and do you find it exciting?

Bruce Dickinson:: I'm really excited. The characters of the three guitarists actually blend very well. Jan has this completely anarchic style, which in a sense can now be set free, as before he had to fulfil Adrian's parts and his parts. Davey has a very distinct style. They all have. They're all capable of being as disciplined as they need to be, but they've all got such separate personalities that it's going to be fantastic. I think with Adrian back in the band, he's going to make such a huge contribution. Having worked with him he's as good, if not better than he ever was. There's always work for three guitars in a Maiden song, simply because of the number of guitars that we laid down in the studio that we never ever do live. In actual fact the old Maiden songs will sound even better with three guitars. The new stuff may possibly take to a whole new level.

Steve Harris: It's difficult to say if the three guitars will affect the writing, as in the past we've written stuff where there were two guitars and another behind it or three either unison or harmony guitars anyway. So I don't think it'll be a big problem and I don't think it'll take us in a different direction, or anything like that. Sometimes when we break away and do harmonies live, with the bass and drums, it opens it up and sounds really good like that, but sometimes on an album we put a rhythm guitar there, and live you can't do that. Now we can!

Dave Murray:I suppose Skynyrd are one of the only bands around with that sort of line up. With Maiden, on the material side of it, it really weighs favour between guitars. In fact there's a lot of stuff on the studio albums with three guitar harmonies anyway, and that's most of the old material, so we'll be able to incorporate that in. And also, I think with the new stuff as well. People are going to be thinking that we'll be doing three part guitar, so I think it's going to actually broaden the whole thing. It's going to widen and give it another dimension. Sometimes they say less is more, but I think in this case, more is heavier! More is going to be bigger, so I'm really looking forward to it, and the thing is, with Adrian, it's going to widen the whole scope musically, where we can do more things within the band musically, so I think it's going to take shape very well. Subconsciously, I think we will write differently also; it'll be there in the back of your head, because you can actually add things in there. I think it's going to affect things - slightly - it'll make things a lot broader in some sense, but that we're yet to find out. I really think it's going to work great. It'll broaden the sound and make it damn fat!

Janick Gers:Really interesting because the aesthetics of it. You can actually double up in various chords and stuff, so we can make it a kind of bigger sound in various parts. The galloping parts will be the same, but probably distinctly heavier, because of the extra part there. There may be various parts where we might leave the bass and the two guitars might go off and might have a rhythm under them. And obviously, where we can add three part harmonies, that would be real fun to do. There's quite a lot of different things we can actually put into the songs and bring them into the year two thousand. I suppose if you want to look at it like that, it could be very exciting.

Adrian Smith:If ever there was a band where three guitars could compliment the music, it was Maiden. There are a lot of guitar harmonies and guitar parts. The songs are long and I think there's a lot of space there for three guitar players. It will compliment the music and it's never really been done before in the rock and metal field - obviously Skynyrd, but I don't think in the metal field it's been done, which gives it an exciting dimension. I think it will sound amazing as we all play slightly differently. In a concert situation it will be interesting as well, because it keeps changing the focal point which makes it interesting from an audience perspective. I also think, as we haven't worked together in this format yet, I imagine that as we write together, Janick Dave and I will write together. There's a lot of interesting stuff we can work with - but I don't think it means we're going to have 98 guitar solos in each song, I think it'll be more of a textural thing. Who knows! It's difficult to say until we start working. At best, it will add another dimension to the band and will compliment what we already have.

Nicko McBrain:Chaos! Absolute chaos! First of all I think it's going to bring an added strength that has previously been un-tapped. So we know that Adrian's guitar style worked for so many years with the band and then when Janick came in, his style of playing is quite fiery and very effervescent, compared to Adrian who's more laid back and a more controlled player. We've got the best of both worlds there, but I said to the guys that they need to take out added insurance for on stage as there's 5 of them running around! It's going to be like the Grand National meets RollerBall! I'm looking forward to it and it's going to be a challenge, an exciting one, with the three guys, especially on the older songs. There's going to be picking and choosing who does what solo, and maybe even adding new parts as you can't have one guy standing there while everyone else is playing! The people are going to be so excited seeing the three guys up there in the first place, but with the added dimension of the musical parts involved, I think it's going to very exciting.
Old 06-02-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts
Spoiler:

2) Three Guitars for the first time - how will that work and do you find it exciting?

Bruce Dickinson:: I'm really excited. The characters of the three guitarists actually blend very well. Jan has this completely anarchic style, which in a sense can now be set free, as before he had to fulfil Adrian's parts and his parts. Davey has a very distinct style. They all have. They're all capable of being as disciplined as they need to be, but they've all got such separate personalities that it's going to be fantastic. I think with Adrian back in the band, he's going to make such a huge contribution. Having worked with him he's as good, if not better than he ever was. There's always work for three guitars in a Maiden song, simply because of the number of guitars that we laid down in the studio that we never ever do live. In actual fact the old Maiden songs will sound even better with three guitars. The new stuff may possibly take to a whole new level.

Steve Harris: It's difficult to say if the three guitars will affect the writing, as in the past we've written stuff where there were two guitars and another behind it or three either unison or harmony guitars anyway. So I don't think it'll be a big problem and I don't think it'll take us in a different direction, or anything like that. Sometimes when we break away and do harmonies live, with the bass and drums, it opens it up and sounds really good like that, but sometimes on an album we put a rhythm guitar there, and live you can't do that. Now we can!

Dave Murray:I suppose Skynyrd are one of the only bands around with that sort of line up. With Maiden, on the material side of it, it really weighs favour between guitars. In fact there's a lot of stuff on the studio albums with three guitar harmonies anyway, and that's most of the old material, so we'll be able to incorporate that in. And also, I think with the new stuff as well. People are going to be thinking that we'll be doing three part guitar, so I think it's going to actually broaden the whole thing. It's going to widen and give it another dimension. Sometimes they say less is more, but I think in this case, more is heavier! More is going to be bigger, so I'm really looking forward to it, and the thing is, with Adrian, it's going to widen the whole scope musically, where we can do more things within the band musically, so I think it's going to take shape very well. Subconsciously, I think we will write differently also; it'll be there in the back of your head, because you can actually add things in there. I think it's going to affect things - slightly - it'll make things a lot broader in some sense, but that we're yet to find out. I really think it's going to work great. It'll broaden the sound and make it damn fat!

Janick Gers:Really interesting because the aesthetics of it. You can actually double up in various chords and stuff, so we can make it a kind of bigger sound in various parts. The galloping parts will be the same, but probably distinctly heavier, because of the extra part there. There may be various parts where we might leave the bass and the two guitars might go off and might have a rhythm under them. And obviously, where we can add three part harmonies, that would be real fun to do. There's quite a lot of different things we can actually put into the songs and bring them into the year two thousand. I suppose if you want to look at it like that, it could be very exciting.

Adrian Smith:If ever there was a band where three guitars could compliment the music, it was Maiden. There are a lot of guitar harmonies and guitar parts. The songs are long and I think there's a lot of space there for three guitar players. It will compliment the music and it's never really been done before in the rock and metal field - obviously Skynyrd, but I don't think in the metal field it's been done, which gives it an exciting dimension. I think it will sound amazing as we all play slightly differently. In a concert situation it will be interesting as well, because it keeps changing the focal point which makes it interesting from an audience perspective. I also think, as we haven't worked together in this format yet, I imagine that as we write together, Janick Dave and I will write together. There's a lot of interesting stuff we can work with - but I don't think it means we're going to have 98 guitar solos in each song, I think it'll be more of a textural thing. Who knows! It's difficult to say until we start working. At best, it will add another dimension to the band and will compliment what we already have.

Nicko McBrain:Chaos! Absolute chaos! First of all I think it's going to bring an added strength that has previously been un-tapped. So we know that Adrian's guitar style worked for so many years with the band and then when Janick came in, his style of playing is quite fiery and very effervescent, compared to Adrian who's more laid back and a more controlled player. We've got the best of both worlds there, but I said to the guys that they need to take out added insurance for on stage as there's 5 of them running around! It's going to be like the Grand National meets RollerBall! I'm looking forward to it and it's going to be a challenge, an exciting one, with the three guys, especially on the older songs. There's going to be picking and choosing who does what solo, and maybe even adding new parts as you can't have one guy standing there while everyone else is playing! The people are going to be so excited seeing the three guys up there in the first place, but with the added dimension of the musical parts involved, I think it's going to very exciting.
Janick was unavailable for comment, as he decided it'd be a good day to buy a lottery ticket after being allowed to stay in the band.
Old 06-02-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I don't mind Janick so much... although to be fair, I consider Adrian's leaving the band and being replaced by Janick to be Maiden's (ick) "Jump the Shark" moment, as many do.

But I can't complain about the band sonically, as having 3 guitarists really does strengthen their live performances. Is Janick a spaz?? Yeah, I guess so. It doesn't distract from the performance but it does look a little silly at times, like someone's old uncle trying to act like C.C. Deville circa 1986.

But poon is for the canoe.
Old 06-10-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I just got my tickets 6 rows up and about 10 seats off the stage for tomorrow at Rosemont (Chicago). There are some still available about 12 rows up on the side. Floor is GA for this one.

I s Lauren Harris the opening? And does anyone know the times roughly?
Ticket is 7pm - need to plan on what time to have car service pickup.
Geez if only pro sports players were as smart
Old 06-10-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Flashback
Well I just got my tickets 6 rows up and about 10 seats off the stage for tomorrow at Rosemont (Chicago). There are some still available about 12 rows up on the side. Floor is GA for this one.

I s Lauren Harris the opening? And does anyone know the times roughly?
Ticket is 7pm - need to plan on what time to have car service pickup.
Geez if only pro sports players were as smart

You know, on the night I went the ticket said 8p but when I got there around 7 and she was already on. According to my buddy, Irvine Meadows has an 11p curfew and the bands get fined for going over, so I'm not sure if that had something to do with it. Iron Maiden went on a bit after 8p IIRC.

I've been to shows there many times and that's the 1st time I've had a show start earlier than what was on the ticket.
Old 06-10-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know, on the night I went the ticket said 8p but when I got there around 7 and she was already on. According to my buddy, Irvine Meadows has an 11p curfew and the bands get fined for going over, so I'm not sure if that had something to do with it. Iron Maiden went on a bit after 8p IIRC.

I've been to shows there many times and that's the 1st time I've had a show start earlier than what was on the ticket.
Good to know - and you just reminded me about the curfew that places have. I called the arena and their curfew is 11pm ... well I guess till you start paying OT to the union. thxs.
Old 06-10-08, 05:28 PM
Banned by request

Wouldn't that also have something to do with the fact that Anthrax was opening as well?
Old 06-12-08, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got back a bit ago ... damn well worth it. Anybody sitting on the fence for any of the few shows left in the US just go.
Old 06-12-08, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wouldn't that also have something to do with the fact that Anthrax was opening as well?

Maybe, who knows. But then put 7 or 7:30 on the ticket. If I had wanted to see Harris I'd a been pissed at these ticket prices.
Old 06-12-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe, who knows. But then put 7 or 7:30 on the ticket. If I had wanted to see Harris I'd a been pissed at these ticket prices.
"If" I was one of those people then yes, I would have been pretty angry.
For last night it was 7pm ticket. 7:30 was Harris - 8:30 was Maiden and ended just past 10:30.
Old 06-12-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I don't think I've ever been to arena show that's started on-time. They always run ten minutes to an hour late.

Club shows are a different matter, though.

Sometimes, the bands will start playing as soon as the the doors open. So you'll be standing at the end of a line of 2000 people waiting to get in and you can hear the opening band playing while they're still (slowly) taking tickets.

The reason they do this is that these venues are also bars, and when you have three or four bands on a ticket, they want to get the bands out as soon as possible so they can get the regular bar crowd in by ten or eleven.

'tis bullshit, I know...
Old 06-16-08, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i know Merriweather technically has a curfew but when Manson played there last summer, they didn't end till about 11:30 (and it took longer for them to set up, then the actual show.)

Also found this on blabbermouth
There was a strange event right in the middle of [IRON MAIDEN's] set [at Madison Square Garden in New York City Sunday night, June 15]. Halfway through the song 'Powerslave', the power died to the sound system, and MAIDEN were onstage with full lights, shrugging their shoulders. I was right behind the soundboard, and there was never any problem at that end. In fact, [cycling star] Lance Armstrong and [actress] Kate Hudson were standing beside the mixing board making out, which made the whole situation even weirder. Who's the MAIDEN-head in that celebrity family? Anyway, obviously this was a high point of their set, and within a minute after the stalls the band produced a soccer ball on stage and began kicking it around to entertain the fans while the technical nightmare continued. After about ten minutes of silence, Bruce Dickinson picked up one of the Egyptian sarcophagi and began using it as a shield to play soccer. He was pretty good with it, too! This entire time, the lights were fine, and the soundboard was perfectly okay and didn't appear to be reset. There was definitely no panic at the board. Suddenly and happily, Steve Harris's galloping bass reappeared in the monitors, and the band regrouped and moved onto the next song. My friends and I were joking that this was a long-distance dedication from Sharon Osbourne, and evidently Dickinson thought the same. As soon as his mic worked, he muttered dramatically something like: 'The revenge of Sharon...the wicked witch of the west rises again!' Strong words, preached to a crowd of 18,000. MAIDEN had spent the whole night, and indeed the past two years, proving themselves leagues above the egg-throwing spat at Ozzfest 2005. Evidently, they are still sensitive to the long-reaching powers of the Sharon. Why would he even joke about that if he didn't think it was possible?"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.