Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Maiden DVD's on the way in '08 Live After Death, Maiden England, History Part 2

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Iron Maiden DVD's on the way in '08 Live After Death, Maiden England, History Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-07, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First big show I ever went to was in 84 during the Powerslave tour. Twisted Sister opened up. Don't remember much of the Twisted set but Bruce howling "Scream for Me Milwaukee" will live with me forever. One of the few heavy metal bands I am still into. Can't believe it was 23 years ago. Hoping for a Milwaukee stop on the tour.
Old 09-29-07, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by jdodd

Well, I guess that answers the "Does anyone know what will be in the setlist?" questions.
Very clever.
Old 09-29-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I'm just waiting for the North American tout dates - and the DVD release information!
Old 11-08-07, 12:02 PM

It's official. New DVD in February 2008

Iron Maiden announce full details of LIVE AFTER DEATH DVD

Iron Maiden announce full details of LIVE AFTER DEATH DVD
Published: November 7, 2007

Finally available on DVD for the first time, EMI Records are proud to announce the eagerly awaited release of the Double Disc DVD of LIVE AFTER DEATH, the legendary recording of Maiden's four night stand at Long Beach Arena, California, in 1984. In the shops 4th February 2008 (5th in the US), the release will coincide with the start of the band's "Somewhere Back In Time World Tour" on which they will recreate many of the aspects of this original and spectacular show.

Disc one contains the recording of this full 90 minute concert. Originally filmed on 35mm, the footage comes alive on DVD resulting in a visually stunning film that far outstrips the usual live video of the '80's. The disc carries two sound options - the original concert audio specially mixed into 5.1 Surround Sound by Kevin Shirley, Maiden's producer since 1999, plus the original stereo sound track by Martin Birch, the band's producer from 1981 to 1993. Originally released on video in 1985, this has been largely unavailable for the past 20 years

Disc two has Part 2 of the 'History of Iron Maiden', continuing on the Maiden story from "The Early Days" DVD, along with rare and unseen bonus footage in the form of BEHIND THE IRON CURTAIN, ROCK IN RIO '85, and 'ELLO TEXAS, all in all giving a total running time of well over three hours. Plus of course the photo galleries, relevant promo videos, artwork galleries, tour dates, tour programme and other features which all combine to make Maiden DVDs a very special and utterly comprehensive treat for their fans.

Manager Rod Smallwood explained "The original video of Live After Death has not been readily available for a long time so its good that we finally got around to this. lt was one of the first full concerts to be filmed after the advent of video and of course the live album, recorded on a different night to the video, has long been considered to be one of the seminal Metal live albums and has sold millions since. Fans have been begging us to do this DVD for some time now but we wanted to wait until we were able to recreate that whole tour to go with it and also to make it part of a series of DVDs that we are putting together around the band's history. And of course we are making sure that now we have got to it we will be giving the fans everything we can find from that period!!"

FULL LIST OF CONTENTS

Disc 1 -- LIVE AFTER DEATH
Live After Death concert with Stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio (90 minutes)

Set list --
Churchill Speech/Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
The Trooper
Revelations
Flight of Icarus
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Powerslave
Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden
Run to The Hills
Running Free
Sanctuary

Disc 2 -- DOCUMENTARY / BONUS CONCERT FOOTAGE

1.The History of Iron Maiden -- Part 2 (60 mins) -- Documentary.
Band members, crew, friends and associates talk about the period in the band's career which saw the writing, recording and release of the Powerslave album, and later Live After Death, and the subsequent massive touring. And not just the serious side!!

2. Behind the Iron Curtain ( 57 mins approx) Documentary and Live -- shot during Maiden's historic tour of Poland and other parts to the Eastern Bloc in 1984 featuring interviews, live and offstage footage capturing the atmosphere of this remarkable journey behind the Wall at the height of the Cold War.

3. Live Footage - Rock in Rio '85 (50 mins approx)
The full Maiden set supporting Queen on the first day of the first Rock in Rio in front of 300,000 manic metal fans. A bloody and stirring performance!!
Songs performed include Aces High, 2 Minutes to Midnight, The Trooper, Revelations, Powerslave, Iron Maiden, Run To The Hills, Running Free

4. Ello Texas -- 15 minutes -- Interview and live. Caught by a film crew in 1983 at the Alamo and sound checking their show in San Antonio.

5. Artwork Gallery, Tour Programme, Tour dates and photo gallery

6. Promotional clips for Aces High and 2 Minutes to Midnight

Subtitles for All documentary footage --
PAL version -- English HOH / Dutch / French / German / Italian / Swedish / Portuguese / Spanish
NTSC Version -- English HOH / Brazilian Portguese / Latin Spanish

LIVE AFTER DEATH was filmed and recorded towards the tail end of 'The World Slavery Tour' over a record breaking four sold out nights at Los Angeles' 13,200 capacity Long Beach Arena. Featuring tracks from their first five albums both the album and video topped the international charts around the world. The tour opened in Warsaw in August 1984 and concluded in Los Angeles July 1985. It covered 193 concerts in 21 countries, including an incredible 112 arena shows in just the USA and Canada (both where the album went Platinum), and saw the band playing to over a million fans in North America alone. This was the most ambitious, longest and most gruelling tour Maiden ever experienced.

As the second instalment to 2004's international chart topping The Early Days DVD The Second Disc features the highly anticipated 'THE HISTORY OF IRON MAIDEN PART II' which gives an insight, humorous and otherwise, into the making of the record as well as exploring the creativity and the background pressures created through the sheer hard work and the physical toll that comes with success at this level for a touring band.

Also packed in on the second disc are more extras with three more rare and unseen gems from the period:

BEHIND THE IRON CURTAIN, which was first released in April 1985 as a 35 minute video documentary, illustrates the quite remarkable story of how Iron Maiden became the first major band from the West to play large arenas in Poland, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia and Hungary at a time when these markets were still very much "Behind the Iron Curtain". This 57 minute DVD version features a lot of extra footage not included on the original retail release. Prior to this DVD the only time it had been seen was on a special MTV airing in 1984. With complete access on the tour, filmmaker and director Kenny Fueurman, gives the viewer a candid insight into the world of Maiden at this groundbreaking time in their career. It also contains interviews with some of the thousands of fans who attended their shows, and their reaction to having Maiden play there for the first time despite their album being out of reach in the old Eastern Bloc countries, where at the time it would cost almost a month's wages! Also included is the infamous incident of the band gate crashing an unsuspecting private wedding party and becoming the evenings 'entertainment' in return for a Polish vodka or three!

Extensive research allowed the producers to retrieve footage of highlights from the band's biggest ever show when they played in Brazil to a sea of rock fans estimated to be somewhere between 250,000 to 350,000 on the first night of the first ROCK IN RIO festival in Feb1985. Maiden went on just prior to headliners QUEEN and cemented their place in the heart of South American fans. Despite best endeavours this 50 minutes clip of extremely rare concert footage is admittedly not in the greatest shape and in parts was beyond repair, but at the request of fans hungry for a record of the historical performance, it has been included in the package as a special bonus.

Another small but also previously unavailable 15 minute feature is 'ELLO TEXAS, which gives a candid glimpse of Iron Maiden performing to the US audiences with further band interview footage at the Alamo. Historically this recording from 1983 should have been included in 2004's EARLY DAYS DVD but it only came to light during research for this Live After Death DVD and is included now for interest.

In essence, Live After Death, the double disc DVD gives over five hours of content, giving the most complete and in depth exploration of Iron Maiden during what was considered their most pivotal album and tour of their long and distinguished history.

US release date Tuesday 5th February on New Door Records/UMe
Old 11-08-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I wish the Live After Death set was the entire show. That would be nice.
Old 11-08-07, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I wish the Live After Death set was the entire show. That would be nice.
Wasn't Phantom of the Opera part of that set list? What else is missing - I thought there was a second song that isn't listed?
Old 11-08-07, 01:38 PM

The setlist from Live After Death is the same one that was including in the VHS.

I think some of the songs from the CD were not recorded in Long Beach, but they are from another concert. And I think that includes Phantom of the Opera.
Old 11-08-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know Die With Your Boots On and 22 Acacia Avenue were on the cd as well.
Old 11-08-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I know Die With Your Boots On and 22 Acacia Avenue were on the cd as well.
Yeah, that DVD setlist seems a bit short.
Old 11-08-07, 04:28 PM
Banned

Sounds great to me! I'll buy it, and I'm just a casual fan of IM.
Old 11-08-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by panchor
I think some of the songs from the CD were not recorded in Long Beach, but they are from another concert. And I think that includes Phantom of the Opera.
Yeah, side four of the album was from the Hammersmith Odeon and featured songs that were more popular in the UK than the US. They weren't on the VHS or the laserdisc of LAD, nor were they on the initial CD release on Capitol. Also, the Capitol CD release cut all the "scream for me Long Beach" chatter out of Running Free.
Old 11-08-07, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

60 mins for the History Part 2 doc seems a little short, but I guess not a lot happened during the time after Part 1 except Nicko joining Maiden.

I'm really looking foward to this!
Old 11-08-07, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

UP THE IRONS!!!!

Nice package - looks like they're going to leave the Somewhere In Time era to the Maiden England DVD release. Hopefully they include SOMETHING from the SIT tour - it is my all time favorite Maiden tour!

I've been holding on to my LaserDisc of Live After Death - this will be a great replacement!
Old 11-09-07, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Maiden hits The Forum in LA on 2.19.08

NJ Izod Center 3.14.08
Old 11-09-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
So when are they gonna announce real tour dates for the US and UK?
Old 11-09-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Maiden hits The Forum in LA on 2.19.08

NJ Izod Center 3.14.08
Slightly OT, but I tried to check what seats were available last night via the Livenation presale and they offered me Collonade, Sec 11. What a joke. I'd LOVE to see this tour, but I'd much rather be down at the floor level. Anybody else have better luck?
Old 11-09-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
While listening to this, you can really close your eyes and imagine being among the crowd... (lemme guess... perhaps the nutty as a fruitcake-fan who screams "motherfucker!" at the end of "Revelations" was just you! LOL), and in my opinion you can't say the same for many live-albums out there.
http://www.metal-observer.com/articl...1&sid=1&id=711

That was one of my friend's favorite parts on his "Live After Death" cassette.
Old 11-09-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope Kevin Shirley does a better job mixing the DVD then he does cds.
Old 11-09-07, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by rockinbrian19
First big show I ever went to was in 84 during the Powerslave tour. Twisted Sister opened up. Don't remember much of the Twisted set but Bruce howling "Scream for Me Milwaukee" will live with me forever. One of the few heavy metal bands I am still into. Can't believe it was 23 years ago. Hoping for a Milwaukee stop on the tour.
I hear ya, man. Saw them on January 31, 1985. Probably every other year or so on January 31, I call my buddy who went to the show with me with Live After Death playing in the background, and scream into the phone "Hey man, I'm at the show, where are you?!" It's really the only show I do that for. I'm not sure why, but I enjoy doing it. I remember Dee being very graphic. "How 'ya MF doing South MF Carolina. We're MF Twisted MF Sister"
Old 12-05-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A 25 minute promo here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...50079459880389
Old 12-06-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I sure hope they hit San Diego or Irvine on the 2nd trip into the U.S. on the upcoming tour. I can't get all the way to the Forum on a Tuesday, so the L.A. show is out...

The Live After Death DVD AND catching them on tour this year? That's all I'm asking for... (And I know I'll be at least 1 for 2.)
Old 02-01-08, 07:41 PM

I was walking through my local independent store today and saw this. Not sure how he had a copy, but I grabbed it. I've only gotten through Revelations, but I don't think anybody will be disappointed w/ the sound quality. The pictures on the wall are almost sideways, like they used to be when I was a wee lad in 1985 listening to the album. Somebody mentioned that they hoped the sound quality was better than the cd. I remember the LP sounding great. I still have my Cerwin Vega D-5s, that I've replaced the woofer in a time or two. Not the most accurate speakers in the world, but made for this music.

And I did call my buddy yesterday w/ the same ole line!!

5+ stars!!!!
Old 02-04-08, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Moments ago, I won the Live After Death DVD in a radio contest! w00t!!
Old 02-05-08, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
My copy is on its way from Amazon.

So from what I've read, this is not only a re-issue of the Liver After Death video, but ALSO the History Pt. 2? I guess that would make sense as it is a 2 disc release.

Man I can't wait for the next one - Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son are my two favorite IM discs. I really hope they have some good live footage of those tours.
Old 02-05-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this in a standard DVD case, to match The Early Days Part One?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.