Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Unkle - War Stories

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Unkle - War Stories

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Unkle - War Stories

Not sure if anyone else is listening to this album at the moment, but i would highly recommend it. I loved the first album (Psyence Fiction) that they released and liked (but didn't love) Never Never Land. This new album is a return to form IMO. It has a lot of guest vocalists on the tracks and it adds to the album. If you havn't listened to Unkle before then give them a try.
Old 07-30-07, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've checked it out also. I actually liked Never Never Land also, of course not as much as I liked Pysence Fiction. Critics keep shitting all over the albums because DJ Shadow is not involved anymore but I think the albums are still good without his involvement. I really like that Autolux song, but I've only really listened to this album once so far..but liked what I heard. Will need to give it a few more listens before I form a real opinion.
Old 07-30-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I think that critics are very harsh on these albums. I know from past experience that there are some albums that you can listen to and hate, but the more you listen to them the more they grow on you and eventually you end up loving. I think this is more so for this medium than say films where the same can apply, but a shoddy film is rather immediate upon viewing and its flaws more noticeable.. There are a fews tracks on this album that i loved immediately (Restless, Keys to the Kingdom and Broken) and the rest of the album i thought was at least interesting upon my first listen. I can see that some people might not appreciate the album on their first try, and i am sure it would be the same for the other two albums. Still it has my recommendation.
Old 07-31-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if DJ Shadow is no longer involved, i can't see how Lavelle can call this project UNKLE. Why can't he just use his own name?
Old 08-02-07, 02:42 PM

why wouldn't he? ..he has guest vocalists and musicians come in...it's not just Lavelle.