Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

PJ Harvey: White Chalk - September 24(U.K.)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

PJ Harvey: White Chalk - September 24(U.K.)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just listened... man, i really really like it!

her "every other" streak is still alive imho. 4/5
Old 09-26-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
For me, a huge departure from her previous releases -- Is this Desire? or Dance Hall aren't even nearly as stark as this new one.

While I'm missing the guitar, the first half of WC is solid, -- the beautiful title track is easily the best song on this album! The stuff ranks up there with anything she did on Dry and TBYML.

Her wailing on "The Mountain" made me shiver upon first listen. But other than that last track, I can't seem to get into the 2nd half of this album. Maybe it will grow grow on me after a few more listens.
Thankfully, she's done away with the stupid seagull noises.

You can listen to (and rip ) the entire album on NME, which is streaming it for free.

Plus, here's a more peppy (and IMO better) version of "Grow Grow Grow" performed live on some French program: CLICK

Last edited by skatefan20; 09-26-07 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-02-07, 11:24 AM

This is out today in the US, don't forget. Absolutely wretched packaging - card sleeves are barely acceptable for singles, certainly not albums! Two big thumbs down for that.

As for the album, I haven't quite decided yet. Of course, I'm only two listens in and it's definately an album that is going to need more of a commitment than that. I think it'll be one that works when the mood is right. My initial thoughts upon reading about it was "vanity project", but there's more to it than that which is a relief.
Old 10-02-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

any good B&M deals on it? seems BB isn't putting this new release on sale.