Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Live Earth this weekend (7/7)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll tune in for some live shows. Not going to be sucked into the doom and gloom pronouncements (feel there is plenty of debate left in the subject). But, as a music fan, I'll definitely see what's going on.

Networks involved are here: http://www.liveearth.org/event.php

Thought this article was kind of funny:

"Rock group Arctic Monkeys have become the latest music industry stars to question whether the performers taking part in Live Earth on Saturday are suitable climate change activists.
"It's a bit patronising for us 21 year olds to try to start to change the world," said Arctic Monkeys drummer Matt Helders, explaining why the group is not on the bill at any of Al Gore's charity concerts.

"Especially when we're using enough power for 10 houses just for (stage) lighting. It'd be a bit hypocritical," he told AFP in an interview before a concert in Paris.

Bass player Nick O'Malley chimes in: "And we're always jetting off on aeroplanes!"

Large parts of the band's hometown of Sheffield were flooded at the end of last month after a deluge of mid-summer rain that some blamed on global warming. Two people were killed.

But the band wonder why anyone would be interested in the opinion of rock stars on a complex scientific issue like climate change.

"Someone asked us to give a quote about what was happening in Sheffield and it's like 'who cares what we think about what's happening'?" added Helders.

"There's more important people who can have an opinion. Why does it make us have an opinion because we're in a band?"

The group, whose first record was the fastest-selling debut album in British history, will clock up thousands of air miles -- in normal airliners not private jets, they say -- during their tour to Asia and Australia in the next few months.

They are not the only stars to take a cynical view of Live Earth, which aims to raise awareness about global warming but which will require many longhaul flights and thousands of car journeys to and from the music venues.

Many of the biggest acts have questionable environmental credentials -- the car-loving rapper Snoop Dogg appeared in a Chrysler commercial last year -- and there are doubts about the ability of pop stars to galvanise the world into action.

Bob Geldof, the architect of Live Aid and Live 8, the two biggest awareness-raising concerts in history, had a public spat with Al Gore about the need for the event.

"Why is he (Gore) actually organising them?" Geldof said in an interview with a Dutch newspaper in May, adding that everyone was already aware of global warming and the event needed firm commitments from politicians and polluters.

Roger Daltrey, singer from 1970s British rock band The Who, told British newspaper The Sun in May that "the last thing the planet needs is a rock concert."

And the singer from 80s pop sensations The Pet Shop Boys, Neil Tennant, attacked the arrogance of pop stars who put themselves forward as role-models.

"I've always been against the idea of rock stars lecturing people as if they know something the rest of us don't," he was reported as saying by British music magazine NME.

Live Earth takes place Saturday in seven cities -- Sydney, Tokyo, Shanghai, Hamburg, London, Johannesburg and New York -- and organisers hope for a television audience of two billion.

An eighth show in Rio de Janeiro was cancelled by police due to security concerns.

"Live Earth is going to bring together a massive audience around the world to take action against the climate crisis," says Live Earth organiser Yusef Robb.

"Some may say that rock stars tend to be conspicuous consumers, but if we can get those people to turn the corner then we're happy to do so."

Planners have put an enormous effort into minimising the environmental impact of the event in an effort to pre-empt sniping from critics about hypocrisy and the pollution caused by the concerts.

Fans are being encouraged to share cars or use public transport to attend, all lightbulbs will be energy-efficient and the food will be sourced locally where possible.

All the signs from the New York show and the stage in Tokyo will be recycled or composted.

"Where we can't use biodegradable materials, there'll be comprehensive recycling programmes," said Robb, who says the Live Earth gigs will set new green standards for the events industry.

After the shows, the organisers, with the help of accountancy group PricewaterhouseCoopers and an army of consultants, will calculate the volume of carbon emissions created and will then "offset" the difference.

Carbon offsetting means investing in carbon-reducing initiatives such as planting trees or making donations to renewable energy projects.

Robb highlights the good work being done by many artists.

British ska-rock group The Police and US funk-punk band Red Hot Chili Peppers are examples of "people who practice what they preach."

Meanwhile, nu-metal headliners Linkin Park have their own climate change charity and Hawaiian artist Jack Johnson tours in a biodiesel-fuelled bus."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
Old 07-05-07, 09:41 AM

That's exactly why so many scientists in the environmental fields have a love-hate relationship with environmental activists. Climate scientists tend to produce a number of projections based on a variety of plausible scenarios. The activists will inevitably use the most pessimistic scenarios to pronounce inevitable doom and gloom; the skeptics will use the most optimistic scenarios to proclaim that there is no real problem (if they accept the process in the first place). Enter gridlock in the public debate.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to the music (although the lineup isn't as strong as Live8 was), but am dreading some of the stupid comments that will be made. I don't doubt that Gore understands the issues fairly well, even if the does tend towards the precautionary side, but the same can't be said about your average musician with (maybe) a high school diploma who have an opinion about everything but no real knowledge about it.

What I'll be most interested in is if they'll actually be able to pull off the shows, which are quite reasonably priced, without incurring a huge loss due to all the special provisions to reduce their environmental impact. If they manage to turn a profit, hopefully those lessons will be used to make future music festivals less damaging.
Old 07-05-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Amy I correct in assuming that this is NOT associated with Bob (Live Aid, Live 8) Geldof?
Old 07-05-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Amy I correct in assuming that this is NOT associated with Bob (Live Aid, Live 8) Geldof?
Yes. But the producer of these concerts, Kevin Wall, was co-producer of Live 8.
Old 07-05-07, 10:18 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Roger Daltrey, singer from 1970s British rock band The Who
I guess My Generation, A Quick One, Sell Out, and Tommy are all figments of my imagination.
British ska-rock group The Police
"ska-rock."

I wonder if the author has actually heard any of The Police's music...
Old 07-05-07, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
I find Geldof's comment somewhat puzzling. Geldof's campaign has been centered on alleviation of hunger and extreme poverty, situations to which environmental degradation and conflicts about resource access contribute significantly. Extreme poverty is very common in the marginal lands of the Saharan fringe, which have some of the least resilience of any ecosystem to absorb additional stresses caused by climatic change.

EDIT: After some more research, it turns out that Geldof's quote was poorly truncated in the above article. His criticism centers on the concerts' lack of specific goals other than raising awareness.

Last edited by Ephemeral_Life; 07-05-07 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-05-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Judge cancels Rio Live Earth concert

07/05/2007 1:25 AM, AP

A Brazilian judge has canceled Saturday's Live Earth concert in Rio because police said they do not have enough officers to guarantee crowd safety.

Organizers of the free show on Rio's Copacabana Beach said Wednesday they were trying to overturn the order to prevent Latin America from being left out of the worldwide music fest aimed at stopping global warming.

Promoted by former Vice President Al Gore, Live Earth concerts are scheduled for London; Tokyo; Johannesburg, South Africa; Shanghai, China; Sydney, Australia; and Hamburg, Germany; and East Rutherford, New Jersey. A band of scientists also will perform in Antarctica, to bring the festival to seven continents.

Brazilian prosecutor Denise Tarin requested a suspension of the concert, saying there were not enough officers to police a crowd that could top 700,000.

Rio police already are busy making sure Rio stays safe during the July 13-29 Pan American games.

Concert organizers confirmed the show was suspended but said they would contest the order and expected to overturn it.

Rio's concert, the only free one for Live Earth, would include performances by Lenny Kravitz, Macy Gray and Pharrell Williams.

Proceeds from the other concerts will go toward the Alliance for Climate Protection, a nonprofit organization chaired by Gore.

edit: I guess that was in the original article. oh well.

Last edited by Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.; 07-05-07 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-05-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Is this going to be a discussion of the concert or its politics? If the latter, it's in the wrong forum. I assume since the OP put it here, it's about the music, so let's try and keep it to that:

Here's the lineup, looks like some awesomeness (Spinal Tap reunion!!)

Wembley Stadium (United Kingdom)

* Beastie Boys
* Black Eyed Peas
* Bloc Party
* Corinne Bailey Rae
* Damien Rice
* David Gray
* Duran Duran
* Foo Fighters
* Genesis
* Gogol Bordello [13]
* James Blunt
* John Legend
* Justin Timberlake
* Kasabian
* Keane
* Madonna
* Metallica
* Paolo Nutini
* Paul McCartney (in talks)
* Pussycat Dolls
* Razorlight
* Red Hot Chili Peppers
* Snow Patrol
* Spinal Tap (with Ricky Gervais)
* Terra Naomi
* Timbaland

Giants Stadium (United States)

* AFI
* Akon
* Alicia Keys
* Bon Jovi
* Dave Matthews Band
* Fall Out Boy
* John Mayer
* Kanye West
* Keith Urban
* Kelly Clarkson
* Kenna [14]
* KT Tunstall
* Ludacris
* Melissa Etheridge
* Roger Waters
* Smashing Pumpkins
* Taking Back Sunday
* The Police

Aussie Stadium (Australia)

* Blue King Brown
* Crowded House
* Eskimo Joe
* Ghostwriters
* Jack Johnson
* The John Butler Trio
* Missy Higgins
* Paul Kelly
* Sneaky Sound System
* Toni Collette & the Finish
* Wolfmother

Coca Cola Dome (South Africa)

* Danny K
* Angelique Kidjo
* Baaba Maal
* Vusi Mahlasela
* The Parlotones
* The Soweto Gospel Choir
* Joss Stone
* UB40
* Zola

Makuhari Messe (Japan)

* Linkin Park
* AI
* Abingdon Boys School
* Ai Otsuka
* Ayaka
* Cocco
* Genki Rockets
* Kumi Koda
* Rihanna
* RIZE
* Xzibit [15]

Tō-ji (Japan)

* Bonnie Pink
* Michael Nyman
* Rip Slyme
* UA
* Yellow Magic Orchestra (special reunion)

HSH Nordbank Arena (Germany)

As of Tue, Jul 3

* Chris Cornell
* Enrique Iglesias
* Jan Delay
* Juli
* Katie Melua
* Lotto King Karl [16]
* Maná
* MIA. [17]
* Mando Diao
* Marquess [18]
* Michael Mittermeier
* Reamonn
* Revolverheld [19]
* Roger Cicero
* Samy Deluxe [20]
* Sasha
* Shakira
* Silbermond
* Snoop Dogg
* Stefan Gwildis [21]
* Yusuf Islam/Cat Stevens [22]

Copacabana Beach (Brazil)

As of Tue, June 26

* Lenny Kravitz
* Pharrell Williams
* Macy Gray
* Xuxa
* O Rappa
* Marcelo D2
* Jorge Ben Jor
* Jota Quest
* Vanessa da Mata
* MV Bill

Oriental Pearl Tower (China)

* Anthony Wong
* Eason Chan
* Evonne Hsu
* Huang Xiao Ming
* Joey Yung
* Sarah Brightman
* Soler
* Winnie Hsin
* 12 Girls Band

Rothera Research Station (Antarctica)

* Nunatak [24]
Old 07-05-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

who is televising the concerts? mtv?
Old 07-05-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't Tipper try to BAN the Beastie Boys & Metallica back in the '80s? My my, what short memories these bands have. Hypocrites.

Funny how Snoop is playing this, as if he was around then, he certainly would've been at the top of her list of artists she was trying to BAN.

Luckily, freedom prevailed and now we just have to put up with those silly parental guidance graphics that ruin the artwork of the albums.
Old 07-05-07, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Is this going to be a discussion of the concert or its politics?
The two are quite inseparable for events like this, IMHO.

Wembley Stadium (United Kingdom)
Fair line-up, but not as strong as Live 8 IMHO (how could it be?). I am particularly looking forward to Spinal Tap.

Giants Stadium (United States)
Looks great. It'll be awesome seeing the Smashing Pumpkins again, and Roger Waters is always great. Better than Live 8 in my opinion.

Rothera Research Station (Antarctica)

* Nunatak [24]
This should be interesting.

I really don't know much about the vast majority of artists for the other locations, so no comment on those.

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
who is televising the concerts? mtv?
NBC has the rights as far as I know. I'll be watching on Universal HD and also listening via XM. SD coverage is mostly on the Sundance channel, I believe.
Old 07-05-07, 01:33 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Didn't Tipper try to BAN the Beastie Boys & Metallica back in the '80s?
No.
My my, what short memories these bands have. Hypocrites.
A short memory is better than no memory at all, apparently.
Old 07-05-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ephemeral_Life
NBC has the rights as far as I know. I'll be watching on Universal HD and also listening via XM. SD coverage is mostly on the Sundance channel, I believe.
The whole thing in HD.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/07/01...erts-july-7th/
Old 07-05-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
That list of "acts" looks boring as hell. My god man!

We'll be dealing with a huge chunk of this Live Earth bullshit where I work.

"Especially when we're using enough power for 10 houses just for (stage) lighting. It'd be a bit hypocritical," he told AFP in an interview before a concert in Paris.
Bass player Nick O'Malley chimes in: "And we're always jetting off on aeroplanes!"

One of the first things I thought about when they annonced this Ego Concert for the Gen X or whatever the fuck they're called these days. What about all the trash this show will generate? I know people who had to fly to the UK to handle this so there's a few tons of air pollution right there.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-05-07 at 01:51 PM.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like SD coverage is on Bravo for 18 hours, and NBC for 3 hours. Starts on Bravo at 2 AM est.

Oh it says

Coverage also available on:

* CNBC
* MSNBC
* Telemundo
* Sundance Channel
* Universal HD

Didn't Tipper try to BAN the Beastie Boys & Metallica back in the '80s?
Madonna was one of the muscians specificially mentioned by the Parents Music Resource Center for her lyrics.

Last edited by auntiewinnie; 07-05-07 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-05-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Was Brazil cancelled?
Old 07-05-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Was Brazil cancelled?
Yes. Judge ruled that there was not sufficient police to secure the event safely.
Old 07-05-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Toni Collette and the Finish in Australia. What the hell is that? I'm intrigued.
Old 07-05-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rio show is back on

RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - The Live Earth concert in Rio de Janeiro was expected to go ahead after organizers overcame security concerns and a judge lifted a ban on the climate change awareness event on Thursday.

"The show is on again. The prosecutor's office asked the judge to reconsider and she revoked the suspension," a spokeswoman for the Rio Justice Tribunal said.

Rio is the last concert in Saturday's Live Earth global series -- partly organized by former U.S. Vice President Al Gore -- with events also due in London, Sydney, Johannesburg, Tokyo, Shanghai, Hamburg and East Rutherford, New Jersey.

The Rio prosecutor's office had sought an injunction to stop the pop concert on Copacabana beach because too few police would be available as officers prepare for the Pan American Games, which start on July 13 in the crime-plagued city.

But the event's organizers, including the RioTur municipal tourism authority, said they had obtained a police guarantee on Thursday that there would be adequate security.

"We met with authorities and addressed their concerns, and the concert will continue as planned," Kristina Schake, Live Earth's communications director, said in a statement.

Rio is the only Live Earth concert free and open to the public. If it had been stopped, it would have been the second cancellation; Istanbul was dropped last month because of a lack of interest and security concerns. Ticket sales have been slow for most Live Earth shows and organizers had to change venues in Johannesburg in a bid to improve sales there.

A giant beach stage in front of Rio's plush Copacabana Palace hotel was already up. Organizers said they plan to use dozens of observation towers and platforms as well as police cameras in the security plan for the event.

Performers including Lenny Kravitz, Pharrell Williams, Jorge Ben Jor and Macy Gray have been lined up to play on Copacabana to an expected audience of up to 1 million people.

A cancellation would be embarrassing for city officials, who hope the show and the games will showcase Rio's legendary charms instead of exposing its rampant crime.

Rio has one of the highest murder rates in the world, with a toll comparable to some war zones. At least 1,800 people were killed in the first four months of 2007 in the metropolitan area, official figures show.

Police have stepped up operations against drug gangs in Rio's slums in the run-up to the Pan American Games. Last week, they raided a slum on the city outskirts, killing about 20 people after a siege in which two dozen people had been killed and more than 60 wounded since May.
Old 07-05-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wendersfan
No. A short memory is better than no memory at all, apparently.
I guess you weren't around in the '80s. It was a big deal to us "older folks" who were paying attention back then.
Old 07-05-07, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Toni Collette and the Finish in Australia. What the hell is that? I'm intrigued.
Yeah i know she was thinking of giving up acting and doing music years ago so this must be her band.
Old 07-05-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
NBC is offering a condensed 3 hour Special from 8pm - 11pm

Bravo will host 18 hours of coverage from 8am Saturday to 2am Sunday

Sundance and Universal HD will carry 22 hours of coverage beginning at 4am Saturday morning and ending at 2am Sunday morning

Telemundo begins coverage at 7am
Old 07-05-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess you weren't around in the '80s. It was a big deal to us "older folks" who were paying attention back then.
You may want to do a little research into what you claim to "know". The PMRC never wanted to BAN anyone, nor did they want to CENSOR anyone. They wanted a rating system for music, like the one that exists for films, so that parents could have an idea of what was contained within an album when buying for their kids. Of course, that wouldn't make an anti-liberal rant sound so dramatic, so for 25 years we've had to hear about their quest for "censorship" (and now, apparently, banning).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMRC
Old 07-05-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah i know she was thinking of giving up acting and doing music years ago so this must be her band.
I don't know about giving up acting, but she indeed has a band (with her husband):

http://liveearth.msn.com/artists/tonicollette_thefinish

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.