Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Weezer album to come in '08

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-07, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/156...6/weezer.jhtml
Weezer Aren't Done Yet — Online Post Promises Sixth Album
Band slated to hit studio in July, aims to release LP in 2008.
By Gil Kaufman

Last time we heard from Weezer, frontman Rivers Cuomo said they were "done." Cooked. Put on ice ... again.

All of a sudden, though, it seems like things have ramped back up for the band that is more on-again/off-again than a Brittany Murphy engagement. Months after a mysterious Web site with the vague name AlbumSix.com began redirecting traffic to Weezer's homepage, a note was posted on both sites on Monday announcing that the group was not only back together, but about to wrap up work on a yet-untitled sixth album.

A post titled "Yams, clams, flans, plans, shams, crans and glands" and attributed to Cuomo announced, "Hey Party-People, Weezer is just polishing up a batch of songs for a recording session that is going to start at the beginning of July. This will be the final recording session for our sixth album which we aim to put out in the first half of 2008. We hope you are all having good times. Love, R-Dawg." The post was accompanied by a photo of an unidentified kid in blue jeans, a white button-down and an oversized black leather coat, which could very well have been a pint-size Cuomo, but we're not sure, since no one in the band's camp is really talking.

A source close to Weezer confirmed, however, that they are scheduled to wrap the album soon and that it is tentatively slated for a 2008 release.

Last July, Cuomo was camped out at his in-laws' house in southern Japan writing songs at a furious pace, with no idea where they'd go. "All this year, I've been feeling pretty creative and excited, so I've been writing a lot," Cuomo said at the time (see "Rivers Cuomo Says Weezer Are 'Done' For Now — Again"). "I don't know what'll happen with these songs — if anything — I just sort of write them and I can't stop. I certainly don't see them becoming Weezer songs, and I don't really see the point of a solo career. So we'll just have to see."

But cryptic messages in the liner notes to Weezer's 2005 album, Make Believe, appeared to lend credence to the feeling that the band was going to call it quits well short of its 15th anniversary.

In particular, a quote from William Shakespeare's "The Tempest" read, "This rough magic/ I here abjure, and, when I have required/ Some heavenly music, which even now I do/ To work mine end upon their senses that/ This airy charm is for, I'll break my staff/ Bury it certain fathoms in the earth/ And deeper than did ever plummet sound/ I'll drown my book" (see "Are Weezer Calling It Quits?").

A demo of a song called "Pig" has been floating around online since April, but it's unclear if that tune — which features Cuomo accompanied by an acoustic guitar, piano and harmonica singing about playing in the mud, talking to the animals and being in love with a girl named Tina — will end up on the new album.

Horray!
Old 06-30-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Wow, this is certainly the year of bands coming back from the dead. This is most welcome.
Old 06-30-07, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I heard this yesterday and nearly shit myself...so awesome.
Old 06-30-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Awesome. Hard to walk away when you still make good music and make money in the industry.
Old 06-30-07, 10:35 PM

Can't Wait!

There were also some rumors of a live DVD in the works as well, but I haven't heard anything more about it recently.
Old 07-01-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gotta love Weezer.

= J
Old 07-01-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Hopefully it is much better than that last one.
Old 07-01-07, 01:32 PM

I'll be the first to say it I guess.. this band hasn't existed since 1996. Maybe they can come back after that 12 year lay off.
Old 07-01-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A bad Weezer album is still better than most stuff out there. I, for one, am looking forward to this!
Old 07-02-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Frakking sweet!

I have that new demo "Pig" that Rivers floated around. Can't wait for the rest.
Old 07-02-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I liked the Green album.

I still don't have Maladroite or Pinkerton. Weren't Blue enough for me, but I'll have to give them another chance.
Old 07-02-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Hopefully it is much better than that last one.
Strong agreement...I'm optimistic though. New Rentals is exciting too.
Old 07-03-07, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Hellz yeah! I'm glad they're not done yet!
Old 07-03-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Didn't they write and record like a hundred songs, or something during their last recording session. They should have a shit-load of unreleased stuff around.
Old 07-03-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Didn't they write and record like a hundred songs, or something during their last recording session. They should have a shit-load of unreleased stuff around.
They always do. Rivers has leaked 100's of MP3's of demos, rough versions, etc...for years. I think I 4-5 CD's of mp3s, from just one-two album period. I would love to get them all tagged right..but it's just too many songs. (many of them are multiple takes of same songs)
Old 07-03-07, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
If they recorded like a hundred songs and selected the best for their album Make Believe, I shrudder to think if they're worse than My Best Friend.

On the other hand, I loved Perfect Situation, This Is Such A Pity, and Freak Me Out, so who knows.

Although I thought Make Believe was a very weak album, I loved everything that came before it, and love their unreleased songs (wish they would release their unreleased songs on a single CD).

A new release is very welcome! Wonder if The Rentals front-man Matt Sharp will be recruited for this new effort. Either way, I hope for the best.
Old 11-21-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FROM PITCHFORK:

Weezer Name LP6, Cuomo Demo Disc Pushed Back
Weezer bassist Scott Shriner made all that chatter regarding his band's forthcoming LP6 comprising "some of [the band's] most challenging goals as a group" when its release date was revealed last month. And now, according to Billboard.com, Tout Ensemble is what they're calling said LP, the sixth from Rivers and his tributaries. The communal vibe ought to be strong with this one. Why else would they call it that?

While a tracklist has not yet emerged, a Weezer rep disclosed that this thing will pack a whopping 18 tracks. The disc still drops April 22, though Alone, the collection of Rivers' solo recordings, has been pushed back a week to December 18.
Old 11-21-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Their last cd was a horrible piece of shit but their first 3 are favorites of mine. Hopefully this will be a return to form.
Old 11-22-07, 09:32 AM

Never got tired of weezer. Loved all their albums well not to mention Make Believe.
Old 11-22-07, 10:43 AM
Banned

I enjoyed Make Believe, but the rest of their albums were much better. Can't wait to hear this.
Old 11-25-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've enjoyed all their albums (although I do agree with the popular opinion that Blue and Pinkerton are the best ones), so I'll definitely check this one out as well.
Old 11-28-07, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by auto
FROM PITCHFORK:

Weezer Name LP6, Cuomo Demo Disc Pushed Back
More recent update from Pitchfork:
Originally Posted by Pitchfork
Hey, remember that new Weezer album that's coming out April 22? Well, it's not. A Weezer representative took to the Weezer website late last week-- on Thanksgiving, no less-- to debunk albumsix.com, the source of said release date and widely-reported album title Tout Ensemble.

"Weezer and Geffen Records have no affiliation with www.albumsix.com," the November 22 posting reads. "The new Weezer record is not called Tout Ensemble and there is no official release date yet for the album."

The folks behind albumsix.com have since updated their website with a message revealing the hoax; they've also used the publicity as an opportunity to launch a new Weezer fan forum. What, no RickRoll, guys? I'm disappointed.

Meanwhile, Alone, the collection of Rivers Cuomo's solo recordings, has been pushed back a week to December 18.
Old 12-19-07, 05:56 PM

Anybody pick up Rivers' solo album yet? Thoughts?
Old 12-19-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very nice.
Old 01-10-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Superfriend is a nice song - hopefully it makes it to the new album. In finished, "Weezer-form." The "Superfriend" track is bare on the River Cuomo album.

How come Rivers and Matt Sharp will not reunite? There's still no reconcilation, even after all these years? I never saw a Yoko in sight.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.