Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Weezer album to come in '08

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Weezer album to come in '08

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-08, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
That song is weak.
Old 05-24-08, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amazon has 30 second clips up of each track, including ones that haven't leaked yet. link

Last edited by Rubix; 05-25-08 at 04:14 AM.
Old 05-26-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I honestly wish Rivers and Matt Sharp would bury the hatchet already. I have been a fan since the debut album and met 3/4 of the band on the Pinkerton club tour, and while I have bought the latter albums, I have always felt like something was missing ever since Matt parted ways with the band in 98
Old 05-31-08, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think there are some wonderful songs on this album and it's a definite improvement over the last one. The closer ("The Angel and the One") is sweetness. With bands that have been around awhile and have at times been stuck in a rut, they sort of have to prove it to me all over again. Like Green Day... I didn't really care much about them anymore and then they end up releasing a career highlight (American Idiot). I'm not saying the Red album is as good as the Blue album, but there is a feel of "return-to-form" on a few tracks.
Old 05-31-08, 08:21 AM

FYI, it is listed at 5.99 in Speedy's Circuit City thread for the upcoming week....

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=532265
Old 05-31-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by misterchimpy
FYI, it is listed at 5.99 in Speedy's Circuit City thread for the upcoming week....

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=532265
Wow! I was gonna pass on this but at that price...

Decisions, decisions.
Old 06-03-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
$5.99 at amazon, too.
Old 06-03-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As cheap as the regular edition is, I had to go for the Deluxe version... I hate digipak packaging, but more songs and better booklet = sale!
Old 06-03-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like the song 'Heart Songs'. So far, it's my favorite on this album.

= J
Old 06-03-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm on my third spin right now, and I'm totally diggin' the album
Old 06-03-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lots of critics bashed Heart Songs...they're fucking high...it's wicked and I love the last verse about Nevermind and then Weezer recording their first record. I pretty much love the entire album. Troublemaker is a great song to kick off the record, followed by Greatest Man That Ever Lived which is a lot of over the top fun. Everybody Get Dangerous is power pop at it's best and despite the Eminem "The Way I Am" vibe I get from the verses of Cold Dark World, I really dig that one too.

It's nice to see the other guys get a chance to shine on the record too...I love Rivers but having him step back for a song or two is fine with me. The extra tracks on the deluxe version are decent too, really like Miss Sweeney. Of course, Weezer is in my top 5 bands of all time, so I knew before this came out that I'd be digging it, but I think it's easily better than Make Believe - a much more even effort.
Old 06-03-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
man, just picked up the standard version on Amazon mp3 download for a ridiculous $5.99..what a freakin' steal...wow....
Old 06-03-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I like the album - not their best (or even 2nd best - maybe a solid 3rd best), but a damn sight better than Make Believe. In certain parts, it reminds me of a modern-day T.Rex.
Old 06-04-08, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
As cheap as the regular edition is, I had to go for the Deluxe version... I hate digipak packaging, but more songs and better booklet = sale!
I went that route, as well. I went to Best Buy and they didn't have any of the Deluxe Editions on the shelf, but luckily an employee there found a copy in the back (and, since it isn't on sale in-store like it is on BB's site, he price-matched; very cool of him). Why do record companies release "deluxe editions" in digipacks when they usually feel so cheap compared to jewel cases?

I'm going to give it a listen today.

Unrelated aside: To my surprise, I found out that my Best Buy no longer displays all of the new release CDs together anymore. I can accept the fact that CDs are a dying format, but still it's kind of sad.
Old 06-04-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I too was seduced by the Deluxe edition. Its pretty obvious why these four tracks were left off the album. However, does anybody know if "The Spider" is actually a sequel to "Freak Me Out"?
Old 06-04-08, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The album sounds lazy. It seems a lot more energy and purpose was put into earlier Weezer albums, but now it seems like just him and his band going through the motions. There lacks any real experimentation, where there was more of that in the past; there was also a lack of duel instrumentation - by this, I mean that all songs were "guitar-driven," but in the past, they sometimes took out the organ or something to drive the song (b-side song "Devotion" comes to mind).

It's almost like a record producer put a gun to Rivers head and said, "hey, get up and make an album...NOW!" Like it was against his will.

I do like "Pork and Beans," however.
Old 06-04-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I think these songs have more energy to them than Make Believe and Maladroit combined. I'd call The Greatest Man That Ever Lived pretty experimental for Weezer...and has large sections that are piano/organ driven. I think having Rivers sit out main vocals for more than 1 song is pretty adventurous. I like 'Pork and Beans' as well, but it wouldn't be in my top 5 cuts for this record...Seriously, listen to it again - this album will grow on you with a vengeance...if it doesn't...well, you probably didn't like Weezer that much to begin with
Old 06-04-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
^Seriously, listen to it again - this album will grow on you with a vengeance...if it doesn't...well, you probably didn't like Weezer that much to begin with
I was waiting for you! How dare you! I'll give it a few more spins, only because I "didn't get" Pinkerton in 1996, but fell deeply in lust with the album eight years later...so who knows.
Old 06-04-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Why do record companies release "deluxe editions" in digipacks when they usually feel so cheap compared to jewel cases?
Yeah, I hate that, too. I'm not a fan of digipacks at all, and I agree they seem "cheaper" looking, as well.

In this case, I can understand it, though - as there's no way that booklet would fit in a standard size jewel case, and it was probably more cost effective, than using a "special" jewel case cover that would fit it.

Still, in this case I passed on the deluxe edition in favor of buying the regular in a jewel case (to match all my other Weezer discs) for only $5.99 at Circuit City. That price made it worth skipping the extras. I can also always borrow my friends copy to get the bonus tracks, too.

One thing though, when I brought my copy to the counter to be rung up, the cashier said "that'll be $9.99". I had to point out it was being advertised for $5.99 in their flier, and signed that way on their shelves before they changed the price for me. That leads me to believe the super cheap pricing was a mistake, and they may be trying to correct it. So if you plan on getting a copy there, get it soon, and be sure you take a copy of the flier, too.
Old 06-04-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i LOVE the greatest man that ever lived. great tune.

this is definitely one of the cheaper digipacks i've seen, too. i'm probably gonna pick up the regular version also, just to have it.
Old 06-04-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the album is just so-so for me after several listens. Not really bad, just an album that goes in one ear and out the other with only a couple exceptions (Heart Songs, Pork And Beans, The Angel And The One, Troublemaker...). Neither Brian nor Steve sound as good as Rivers vocally either IMO.

But I think the main problem is that they set such a high bar for themselves with the blue album and Pinkerton that it's almost impossible to be that good again.
Old 06-04-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I was waiting for you! How dare you!
Ha ha ha. I definitely am a firm believer in the multiple listens and certainly preach that around these boards - many albums have underwhelmed me initially but grown on me quickly to become favourites...of course, Weezer is one of those bands that I will love no matter what, so I'll admit my opinion is highly biased... I remember RUNNING downtown on my lunch hour in high school to buy Pinkerton the day it came out (just made it back for class!), and by the bus ride home, I was already declaring it a masterpiece
Old 06-04-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Yeah, I hate that, too. I'm not a fan of digipacks at all, and I agree they seem "cheaper" looking, as well.

In this case, I can understand it, though - as there's no way that booklet would fit in a standard size jewel case, and it was probably more cost effective, than using a "special" jewel case cover that would fit it.
well, i just debunked that one. the booklet fits just fine into a standard jewel case, which i figured it would. now i hate the digipack even more. heh.
Old 06-04-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wish I had read this thread before picking up the regular version at Best Buy for $9.99. Grrr. Oh well. It is a great album. I really like all the songs. I've probably listened to it 5 or 6 times by now, since it is so short. iTunes has the extra songs available individually, so you could have the deluxe version for $9.99 if you got it for $5.99 at CC... or in my case, if I get them, $13.99 which is cheaper than the $16.99 that BB was charging for the deluxe.

I hate that my paper never has CC or BB ads in it.
Old 06-04-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mkdevo
well, i just debunked that one. the booklet fits just fine into a standard jewel case, which i figured it would. now i hate the digipack even more. heh.

Well than that does suck, and I stand corrected. I was just basing that on what I saw the booklet looked like peaking through the Deluxe version package. It seemed much thicker than an average booklet.

Oh, and BTW, I didn't even see the Deluxe version at Circuit City. They only had the regular. And for anyone else who cares, in my travels today, saw the Deluxe version for $13.99 at Target, $16.99 at Best Buy, $13.88 at Newbury Comics $14.99 at FYE.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.