Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever walked out on a concert?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Ever walked out on a concert?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toolbin
When I went and saw Live and Counting Crows, we left after Live was done with their set.

We (my dad, my sister, and I) just really aren't that into Counting Crows, but I do think they're an okay band. We went to see Live and good lord that was one of my most memorable experiences ever.
I walked out on these guys too. My gf and I were so tired, from the slooow set they had going, plus the venue stopped serving so we left half way through the set. We were two of many.

Only other time I recall was at a music festival the headliner for the night was Kid Rock, I left before he even took the stage, I was just there to see ZWAN and Tenacious D. I couldn't imagine making it through his set.

Last edited by SpaceBoy; 06-18-07 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-18-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I walked out of a Tool concert a few years ago. They played for over 2 hours and still had a good 30 minutes worth of stuff left and a probably encore. That is just too long to stand for me. I've left many of bar shows and gone downstairs to drink while a crappy band has played at the local venue play.
Old 06-18-07, 07:52 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
R.E.M. at the Great Western Forum, I can't even remember the year, it was that bad... maybe 1990-91? I just couldn't wrap my head around all the tree hugger bullshit Stipe was spewing in between songs, we walked out less than half way through the set... I mean for the love of God just play the freaking music, we know already, your message is in the lyrics.

It was amazing, we weren't the only people leaving either, which really surprised me, I've never left a concert early before so I wouldn't know, but maybe its normal for 100's of people to leave mid-way through the show.

I know it's cool to some people when a band gets all political, and yeah I have that one band I go to for it (Fugazi,) but I honestly think R.E.M. screwed the pooch when they take this hell bent approach to shoving their beliefs down our throats. It turns off half their audience who actually can afford to support them. It's no surprise they haven't been relevant for a long time. I can't remember the last time they've had a number one record (in this country at-least).

/end rant]
Old 06-19-07, 12:40 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
My wife is a big Counting Crows fan. In 2000 or 2001, she dragged me to see them when OAR was opening for them. About 20 minutes into the Counting Crows' set, even my wife had to admit that the concert sucked and we left.

Another time, she won tickets to a Goo Goo Dolls concert and we didn't go. Not sure if that counts as "walking out," though, since we never walked in.
Old 06-24-07, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by hal9000

I know it's cool to some people when a band gets all political, and yeah I have that one band I go to for it (Fugazi,) but I honestly think R.E.M. screwed the pooch when they take this hell bent approach to shoving their beliefs down our throats. It turns off half their audience who actually can afford to support them. It's no surprise they haven't been relevant for a long time. I can't remember the last time they've had a number one record (in this country at-least).

/end rant]
Can I co-sign on this rant?

I listen to a lot of punk music that has a political message that goes against what I believe, and I don't want to hear your damn beliefs - just play the damn music!

I actually just saw Fall Out Boy at the Forum last night....
Old 06-24-07, 12:24 PM

i walked out halfway thru a Godsmack show last month at the Tower Theater in Philly. That was like my 6th time seeing them, and frankly that show was so boring. I remember, right as the bassline for Voodoo started i was working my way up the aisle.

i did fall asleep at a DMB concert tho. It was at the old Veterans Stadium in Philly. I only wanted to go because Ben Harper was opening. My friend wanted to stay for DMB's set, so i went up to the 700 section (if anyone remembers the Vet its the highest section of the place) found an empty section, grabbed a seat and dozed off.
Old 06-24-07, 04:47 PM
Suspended

KROQ Weenie Roast Y Fiesta 07; Irvine, CA:

I went for Interpol, ended up falling for Silversun Pickups. Got to see some decent bands [Tiger Army], but couldn't take hearing Linkin Park [headliner], so I walked out after a few songs. Apparently they played for hours.

Sasquatch Music Festival 07; George, WA:

I went for Arcade Fire. Left the pit area when they finished to go get an over*priced burger and eat while waiting for Bjork [headliner] to set up. Heard a couple of songs from way up top before leaving for Portland to catch another Arcade Fire show.

E
Old 06-24-07, 04:54 PM

Area2 Concert. The co-headliners were Moby and David Bowie.
Went with friends who only wanted to see Bowie. They felt sick, and left before Moby took the stage. I stayed for a couple of songs.

And same thing with Weezer/The Pixies co-headlining tour from 2005. We made it to the front row, and enjoyed the Weezer set. But my friend wanted to leave as soon as the Pixies started playing. I told her we could leave as soon as they play Where is My Mind (which I had to refer to as that song from Fight Club). She kept complaining and we left right as they were playing it.
Old 06-24-07, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4
KROQ Weenie Roast Y Fiesta 07; Irvine, CA:

I went for Interpol, ended up falling for Silversun Pickups. Got to see some decent bands [Tiger Army], but couldn't take hearing Linkin Park [headliner], so I walked out after a few songs. Apparently they played for hours.

E
Silversun opened for Snow Patrol a few months ago and loved their set.
Old 06-24-07, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by oppie1

i did fall asleep at a DMB concert tho.
Hah! I fell asleep on an some lame band opening for Queensryche and I was NOT high or drunk. They were just boring as hell. I always wear foam earplugs to shows so it was easy to ignore the rest of the crap music muffling in my ears and doze off.
Old 06-24-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I walked out of a B-52s concert after about three songs - just couldn't stand them. The opening band, The Violent Femmes, were awesome though. This was in '91 or '92.
Old 06-25-07, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Ah, yes, I was reminded of a couple others:

Godsmack (2006) - Just like oppie1 stated, they were pretty boring. Every song was sounding the same, and Rob Zombie had already put on a hell of a show.
Red Hot Chili Peppers (1999) - It was the KROQ Weenie Roast in '99. I've never been a big fan of the Peppers, and after a long day of concerting, they played after Metallica. I didn't see any reason to stick around after that.
Old 06-25-07, 10:50 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by rw2516
Cheap Trick. They followed Aldo Nova and just sucked. Should have flipped the bill.
What's funny to me is that my first concert was SAXON/ALDO NOVA/CHEAP TRICK in Memphis, Tn in the early 80's and I had the opposite reaction. I thought SAXON blew, ALDO NOVA was decent but not really memorable while CHEAP TRICK ruled. I actually became a TRICK fan that night because of their performance at that show. To each their own I guess? But honestly do you think ALDO NOVA could have fronted that show? The way I remember it, most people didn't even show up until right before TRICK went on because that's who almost everybody there was there to see.

I've never walked out on a concert but there have been plenty of opening acts that I wanted to walk out on like SAXON, KROKUS (opening for KISS) and a few other no-name bands I can barely remember.
Old 06-25-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back in college, a girl came in to where I worked and asked if I was going to the ZZ Top show. I told her in some obnoxious way that I really didn't like the Top. She said that was too bad beause she had free tickets. I was a big Black Crowes fan, and they were opening for them on the tour - at least until they got kicked off. So I back pedaled and said I would love to go to the concert. We went. Saw the Crowes. Then left to go drink and fool around. Good times.
Old 06-25-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CharlieK
Back in college, a girl came in to where I worked and asked if I was going to the ZZ Top show. I told her in some obnoxious way that I really didn't like the Top. She said that was too bad beause she had free tickets. I was a big Black Crowes fan, and they were opening for them on the tour - at least until they got kicked off. So I back pedaled and said I would love to go to the concert. We went. Saw the Crowes. Then left to go drink and fool around. Good times.
Saw that tour in the Northeast. The Crowes definitely took the show. I stayed through ZZ Top, as I do like a lot of their songs but it was definitely the Crowes night. This was before they got into that hippie extended crap they became (IMHO).
Old 06-25-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Eagles

I was given free tickets. I don't know why I went since I hate the Eagles. I got rip-roaringly drunk and left at the intermission. What band has an intermission, anyway?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z92vC-q6mbU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z92vC-q6mbU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 06-25-07, 11:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
The Eagles

I was given free tickets. I don't know why I went since I hate the Eagles. I got rip-roaringly drunk and left at the intermission. What band has an intermission, anyway?
apparently the Pet Shop Boys show I saw last year did.
Old 06-25-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
The older they get...

I walked out on Soilwork, due to timing more than anything, plus we were there to see Darkest Hour at the time.

The two times I wish I could have walked out was 1) on Thrice at Taste of Chaos, by and large the worst performance by any band I've ever seen, I went through phases of disgust, starting with cringing, then boredom, then so bored I felt sick, to "the Deftones better put on a fucking great show to compensate for this." and 2) Mxpx who were touring with Whole Wheat Bread, Streetlight Manifesto and Reel Big Fish, wanted to see RBF, WWB and SM and since Mxpx split the set I had to wait it out (no re-entry bar). While it had nothing on the Thrice set, it was an extremely extremely long hour.

I can see people getting impatient with a Tool concert, while I had a blast both times I went, it does become a borderline pretentious artshow at times.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-25-07 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-25-07, 01:21 PM

I went to a concert festival in Birmingham, saw the Presidents of the USA and they were amazing, but after them were POD and Live. I wanted to see Live, so I sat through 3 songs of POD. They were lip syncing terribly. The thing that made me leave was a girl with a mini skirt and spaghetti strap shirt was crowd surfing, taking her clothes off, and her diseased looking vagina came towards my face. It was so gross looking. I immediately tried to get the heck out of there.
Old 06-25-07, 01:25 PM

Went to see Soul Coughing open for DMB. Left after their set was done. No desire at all to watch DMB. And all of their "fans" were a bit painful to watch as well....
Old 06-25-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Went to see Magnolia Electric Company and ended up leaving before they (he) even went on, it was a week night and by the time the second band started we were just sick of being there so we left, especially as I figured his set wasn't exactly going to be the kind to wake me up.. Yes, I am getting old.

Also left a Calvin Johnson showing, as he just came off as a pompous jerk. I loved him the first time I saw him, but he was just irritating the second.

Last edited by starman9000; 06-25-07 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-25-07, 01:40 PM

Natalie Merchant - Ann Arbor, MI. - Hill Auditorium (1998ish) - The tickets were free, and damn was she boring.....
Old 06-25-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Around 1991 or so: Hole. Courtney's screaching and shitty guitar playing was more than I was willing to deal with.
Old 06-25-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
The Eagles

What band has an intermission, anyway?
RUSH has them. But they do play long shows with no opening act.
Old 06-25-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've walked out on:

Dinosaur Jr (back in the late eighties) because J. was too fucking wasted
PiL (mid ninties) because they just didn't give a shit and it showed.
Lenny Kravitz (1999) because he's an annoying ass and his music sucks (wife wanted to go and she was the one that actually wanted to leave first)
Sting (2001) because his music has sucked since the Police broke up and I couldn't stand the shitty nosebleed seats anymore (free tickets).

I haven't been to a concert since my eldest was born (2001), that's what happens when you have kids...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.