Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever want to go to a concert, but can't find anyone to go with?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Ever want to go to a concert, but can't find anyone to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Re: Ever want to go to a concert, but can't find anyone to go with?

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Shit, I did not know Dimmu Borgir was going to tour. I'd like to see them live.

EDIT - saw that they're playing Vegas, so I guess I will not be seeing them live after all.
Yeah, they are touring their new album all over Europe this summer but only a whopping four North American dates so far (not including a festival in Montreal a couple months ago). I'm just happy that one of them is pretty close to me and at a nice theater to boot. They'll probably do some more dates here next year perhaps? Or road trip to Vegas for you!

Originally Posted by beavis69
Fellow metal fan and I've only been to 5 concerts with someone else and only 3 were metal (Mayhem Tour 10 and Iron Maiden last year and Exodus/Municipal Waste last year). I've been to over 50 concert by myself just because no one I know listens to metal and certainly not extreme metal. I love going to concerts by myself. Generally someone will strike up a conversation about a patch on my vest or some other random thing to keep me entertained between sets. Only time I've ever really wished I had someone there is when I go to a concert several hours away and I have to drive alone home. That shit gets boring.
Ha, yeah, extreme metal is tough to find someone to go with. And oh man, a several hour road trip by yourself would suck. Luckily this will be less than a 90 minute drive for me.

Originally Posted by PerryD
For the past 5 years or so, I've gone to 20 to 25 metal shows a year. At first, I was going alone, but I tend to do the Meet & Greep VIP, and get the same spot in the front, so I was starting to see the same people at most of the shows, and now a group of us talk on Facebook about shows coming up and who is going to what show.

My daughter graduated college a couple years back, and I've been bringing her to a few shows a year, usually the bigger ones like Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, along with some more mainstream metal bands like Asking Alexandria or Kamelot that I may not have gone on my own to.

But yeah, I'll still go to a few shows alone, I'm there to see the bands. But the social element does help in the excitement for announcements of tours.
That's cool, I have yet to do a meet and greet myself. Nice that your daughter like going with you to these, I've brought my son to other metal shows like Ghost and Maiden, but he has no interest in seeing Dimmu Borgir with me.
Old 07-12-18, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I don't do road trips for shows like that. I think I'm actually seeing Alice Cooper at the Greek Theater on the 19th, so I'm booked either way.
Old 07-13-18, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm going to Maryland Deathfest by myself next year (got in on early bird tickets). That should be interesting. I assume my wife and kids might come up for the weekend to at least hang out and see Baltimore although they might go to a friends in Florida for a visit.
Old 07-13-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I drove 3 hours to see the Misfits a couple years back (yes, the non-Danzig "Misfits"). That might have been a mistake, I got back at like 4 in the morning on a work night. The next day was exhausting. (And I found out they were playing locally two weeks later on a Friday! But I got sick that day and couldn't go anyway.)
Other than that, I drove 3 hours to go to GWARBQ twice. Once up Friday night and back Saturday night, and once just up and back for the day. Well worth it. Two years ago, I think, they added a clause, the parking lot wouldn't be open for cars with only the driver. Not sure if they were trying to manage parking and crowds or just "going green" but that would have prevented me from going (if I had planned to, I didn't like that year's lineup.)
Old 07-13-18, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
I drove 3 hours to see the Misfits a couple years back (yes, the non-Danzig "Misfits"). That might have been a mistake,
Yeah, I might make that drive for the Misfits with Danzig, but not for the "Newfits".