Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Poison "Poison'd" & Tesla "Real To Real" cover CDs 06/05/07

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: I plan to buy:
Poison "Poison'd"
12.82%
Tesla "Real To Real"
25.64%
Both (I'm a 80's hair band fan)
23.08%
Neither (These groups should've stayed in the 80's)
38.46%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Poison Announces New Studio Album, POISON'D!, to Be Released June 5 by EMI America Records/Capitol

Featuring Poison's original members, Bret Michaels (vocals), C.C. Deville (guitar), Rikki Rockett (drums) and Bobby Dall (bass), POISON'D! presents the band's first studio recordings since 2002's Hollyweird. Produced by Don Was at Hensen Recording Studios in Hollywood, 13-Track CD Features Hot New Recordings of Poison's Favorite RockClassics, Including Hits Originally Recorded by David Bowie, The Cars, The Romantics, Sweet, The Marshall Tucker Band, and The Rolling Stones. Some of Poison's best previously recorded covers are also featured on POISON'D!, including remakes of songs by KISS, The Who, Grand Funk Railroad, Jim Croce, and Loggins & Messina.

Following the release of POISON'D, Poison will hit the road again on June 12 for a major North American summer concert tour. Tour dates and details will be announced and posted to the band's official website as they're confirmed. Visit http://www.poisonweb.com and http://www.myspace.com/poison for the latest Poison news and links to other Poison-related websites.

In July, VH1 will premiere a new reality show, "Rock of Love with Bret Michaels." VH1's description of the show has "the hard-rockin' Poison frontman looking for a woman who can truly keep up with his rock-n-roll lifestyle and not become jealous of his one true passion -- performing, which has been the reason for and destruction of most of hisrelationships."

Last April, Poison rocketed into the Billboard Top 20 with the #17 debut of the band's 20th anniversary hits collection, The Best Of Poison:20 Years Of Rock (Capitol/EMI). The 18-track hits collection was soon certified gold, and Poison tore through the summer of 2006 on their highly successful "20 Years of Rock" North American concert tour. To date, Poison has sold more than 25 million records and DVDs worldwide.

POISON'D (MAY NOT BE FINAL SEQUENCE)
1. Little Willy
2. Suffragette City
3. I Never Cry
4. I Need to Know
5. Can't You See
6. What I Like About You
7. Dead Flowers
8. Just What I Needed
9. Rock and Roll All Nite
10. Squeeze Box
11. You Don't Mess Around With Jim
12. Your Mama Don't Dance
13. We're An American Band
Wal-Mart exclusive bonus track "Sexyback"
(Sweet)
(David Bowie)
(Alice Cooper)
(Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers)
(The Marshall Tucker Band)
(The Romantics)
(The Rolling Stones)
(The Cars)
(KISS)
(The Who)
(Jim Croce)
(Loggins & Messina)
(Grand Funk Railroad)
(Justin Timberlake)
TRACKS 1-8: produced by Don Was - 2007 (new recordings)
TRACK 9: produced by Rick Rubin, Less Than Zero soundtrack - 1987
TRACK 10: produced by Thom Panunzio, Hollyweird - 2002
TRACK 11: produced by Tom Werman, Open Up and Say ... Ahh! - 1988
TRACK 12: produced by Ric Browdie - 1987; bonus track on Look What The Cat Dragged In reissue (2006)
TRACK 13: produced by Don Was, The Best Of Poison: 20 Years Of Rock - 2006

<HR>

TESLA
SAYS "THANK YOU" TO THEIR ROCK & ROLL HEROES
WITH THE RELEASE OF 'REAL TO REEL'
JUNE 5 ON TESLA ELECTRIC COMPANY RECORDINGS
MAJOR SUMMER TOUR FORTHCOMING

April 26, 2007 -- TESLA -- Jeff Keith (vocals), Frank Hannon (guitars), Brian Wheat (bass), Troy Luccketta (drums) and Dave Rude (guitar) - has always been revered as a bluesy, no-frills, '70s-style hard rock band, concentrating on solid musicianship more than the trends of modern music. Now, after selling over 16 million albums worldwide since bursting onto the scene in 1986, they're paying homage to their hard rock heroes on their sixth studio album, REAL TO REEL, due out June 5th on their own independent label, Tesla Electric Company Recordings (in partnership with Ryko Distribution).

The first single, Led Zeppelin's "Thank You," is currently being serviced to radio on May 1, but it has been receiving early airplay for the past few weeks on such stations as KRXQ in Sacramento, The Bone in San Francisco, WHOG in Milwaukee, KZRR in Albuquerque and KDKP in Phoenix and KISW in Seattle. A video for the track is forthcoming.

REAL TO REEL - produced by TESLA and Tom Zutaut and recorded at the Sonic Ranch in Tornillo, TX - is a two-disc 25-song collection of classic rockers from the '60s and '70s, recorded through a vintage Neve console directly to Ampex 456 analog tape to capture the purity of these timeless and legendary songs. Songs include: "Space Truckin'," "I've Got A Feeling," "Ball of Confusion," "All The Young Dudes" and "Street Fighting Man."

The first 13 tracks will be available on June 5th at retail outlets, while the second disc containing the remaining 12 songs will be available this summer along the band's tour route with the purchase of a concert ticket. Details are forthcoming.

TESLA first tested out some of their favorite rock classics with their fans in the summer of 2006 during the "Electric Summer Jam" tour (the first tour with guitarist Dave Rude, who replaced original guitarist Tommy Skeoch). While UFO's "Rock Bottom" went down like a storm to a standing, cheering, grandstand crowd of 10,000 in Milwaukee, Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" engaged 6,000 people in Lansing, Michigan so much that they refused to leave during a torrential rainstorm which lasted throughout the entire two-hour show. After getting such a positive reaction from their fans, the band knew making REAL TO REEL was a logical next step for them.

"REAL TO REEL is a collection of songs that inspired us back in the day when we first heard them in the '70s," says singer Jeff Keith. "We originally had a large list of songs in mind for the record, and we had a lot of fun picking out the ones that ultimately made it onto the album. Making music is all about feeding off of your inspirations and putting your own touches to it. We feel weÍve accomplished this to the highest extent."

In talking about the first single, "Thank You," Keith explains, "That's my favorite song on the album, and it's funny because we never discussed covering that particular song. We went back and forth about a lot of Led Zeppelin songs. We had planned on doing 'The Song Remains The Same,' and it was Frank who thought we should do 'Thank You' instead. The guys actually recorded it while I was at my casita feeding the abandoned pups and their mom that I found in a vacant lot. When I returned to the studio and heard what they did, I was so blown away that it inspired me to sing what I think is my best vocal performance on the record. When I finished recording in one take, it was just mind-blowing. Everyone in the studio was in tears. Sometimes that's how it works and that's the beauty of making music. We all felt it was the perfect choice for the first single. If you think about TESLA, the lyrical message of the lyrics throughout the years, they're very similar to 'Thank You.' It's that same positive message that we try to get across in every TESLA song. It's a sacrilegious song to cover and we didn't think we'd do it justice, but we were up for the challenge.

"Jimmy Page once told Brian that he had bought the FIVE MAN ACOUSTICAL JAM record and thought it was a really great album. That was a huge thrill for us to hear because we've always had a love of Led Zeppelin and they were so important to all of us growing up. There's always been this reverence for Zeppelin. So hearing Jimmy Page say he loved TESLA too, we were honored and it enlightened our spirits. Led Zeppelin inspired us to be a band in the first place."

The Sacramento band has proven themselves to be a long-lasting force in the rock world, one that could still compete with all the new rock bands that had sprung up between 1996-2000 (the time period when TESLA had disbanded), while most of their contemporaries from the late '80s were stuck in classic rock nostalgia. Rolling Stone called their sophomore album, THE GREAT RADIO CONTROVERSY, "...a shining example of what can happen when a talented band puts on blinders, ignores what everybody else is selling and forges ahead on instinct."

On the touring front, TESLA will launch a summer U.S. headlining tour starting June 7 in Santa Rosa, CA at the Wells Fargo Center for the Arts. They'll make a stop in Las Vegas at the House of Blues on Thursday, June 14. Tickets for both shows go on sale Friday, April 27. The band will perform three more House of Blues shows in Anaheim (Friday, June 8), West Hollywood (Saturday, June 9), and in San Diego (Monday, June 11), which go on sale this Saturday, April 28. More dates will be announced in the coming weeks. Fans can stay plugged into all things REAL TO REAL and purchase VIP ticket packages here at www.teslarealtoreel.com.

Here's the complete track listing of Reel one (sold at retail):
1. Space Truckin'
2. Walk Away
3. Hand Me Down World
4. Bad Reputation
5. Thank You
6. I've Got A Feeling
7. Day Of The Eagle
8. Ball Of Confusion
9. Rock Bottom
10. Stealin'
11. Bell Bottom Blues
12. Honky Tonk Women
13. Dear Mr. Fantasy
(Deep Purple)
(James Gang)
(Guess Who)
(Thin Lizzy)
(Led Zeppelin)
(Beatles)
(Robin Trower)
(Temptations)
(UFO)
(Uriah Heep)
(Eric Clapton)
(Rolling Stones)
(Traffic)
Here's the complete track listing of Reel two (available with concert ticket purchase only):
1. All The Young Dudes
2. Make It Last
3. Shooting Star
4. Not Fragile
5. Street Fighting Man
6. Is It My Body
7. I Want To Take You Higher
8. Do You Feel Like We Do
9. Beer Drinkers And Hellraisers
10. Seasons Of Wither
11. Saturday Night Special
12. War Pigs
(Mott The Hoople)
(Montrose)
(Bad Company)
(Bachman-Turner Overdrive)
(Rolling Stones)
(Alice Cooper)
(Sly & The Family Stone)
(Peter Frampton)
(ZZ Top)
(Aerosmith)
(Lynyrd Skynyrd)
(Black Sabbath)
Tesla on the web:
www.teslarealtoreel.com
www.myspace.com/teslatheband
www.teslatheband.com

Last edited by bigjim25; 05-13-07 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-08-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Both are copycats of Def Leppard's GREAT "Yeah!" album from last year.

(Note: I believe songs 9-13 on Poison'd have already been released on prior albums.)
Old 05-08-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I grew up listening to these bands so I'd definitely pick up both.
Old 05-08-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it going to be done with Bret still in his country phase?
Old 05-08-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Funny how all of these has-been bands end up releasing covers albums. I guess if you can't write any decent material you might as well try someone else's.
Old 05-08-07, 12:16 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm a huge Poison fan so I'll definitely get that one. My only disappointment is that only 8 of the tracks are new covers, and they are recycling 5 previous covers. Not that they are bad songs, but I already have them. It's also good to see them back on Capitol with new stuff, plus that album cover is classic Poison.

Not sure about to Tesla one. I'll probably give it a sample, though.
Old 05-08-07, 01:42 PM

I heard the Tesla cover of "Thank You" on the radio last week- I really liked it!! I'll probably get them both, being an 80s metal fan.
Old 05-08-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It would've been cool and appropriate if Tesla had an electric version of "Signs"
Old 05-08-07, 07:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Both are copycats of Def Leppard's GREAT "Yeah!" album from last year.
That's like saying Def Leppard's "Yeah!" album is a copy of the Ramones GREAT "Acid Eaters" album, which is also all cover tunes. But it's not. Bands have been doing these "tribute to our favorite bands" CDs/LPs/8-tracks since forever.
Hell, The Smithereens just came out with a SWEET remake of the Beatles "Meet The Beatles" (every song, in order) a few months ago.

Neither of these is a Def Lep copy. Besides, everyone mentioned sings better than Joe Smelliot (didya see them on VH1's Rock Honors show? Awful!).
Old 05-08-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Where's the choice for: "Neither! I HATE cover albums!"
Old 05-08-07, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla
Here's the complete track listing of Reel two (available with concert ticket purchase only):
Why don't they just say "download these tracks with Bittorrent?" Maybe some tourdates outside the Pacific time zone, at least?

it's a shame, too, as the Tesla set has better songs than the Poison one. At least the best ones are on disc 1.
Old 05-08-07, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Rolling Stone called their sophomore album, THE GREAT RADIO CONTROVERSY, "...a shining example of what can happen when a talented band puts on blinders, ignores what everybody else is selling and forges ahead on instinct."
One of the main reasons I love Tesla. They were beacons in a sea of hair metal crap. I will definitely be picking it up. I've seen 'em twice. Not sure if I will again if they come around my neck of the woods.

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Funny how all of these has-been bands end up releasing covers albums. I guess if you can't write any decent material you might as well try someone else's.
Poison, yes. Tesla, no. Tesla had a kick ass album in 04, Into the Now. Their first album in a decade. Also, nearly every band member put out albums with other groups during that hiatus. Moon Dog Mane's Turn it Up is excellent(has a Kenny Wayne Shepperd vibe). Bar 7's The World is a Freak is equally great. Soulmotor is another spin-off project. They've put out two albums. The first is decent, haven't heard the second.

Not to mention one of their best albums, Five Man Acoustical Jam has a handful of covers on it, which the band did an amazing job on. I think this is a natural extension of that.
Old 05-08-07, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
That's like saying Def Leppard's "Yeah!" album is a copy of the Ramones GREAT "Acid Eaters" album, which is also all cover tunes. But it's not. Bands have been doing these "tribute to our favorite bands" CDs/LPs/8-tracks since forever.
Hell, The Smithereens just came out with a SWEET remake of the Beatles "Meet The Beatles" (every song, in order) a few months ago.
Ans GNR had a punk covers album. I know.

I meant that they're copying Yeah in the respect that they're mostly going for 70s glam as their choice of covers.
Old 05-09-07, 06:51 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
As cover albums go, the Tesla CD looks fantastic. Poison? Ah, no thanks . . . never have, never will.
Old 05-09-07, 09:52 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Both bands have four tracks to listen to apiece from their albums on their respective MySpace pages.
Old 05-09-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DRG
Both bands have four tracks to listen to apiece from their albums on their respective MySpace pages.
and that would be teslatheband, not just tesla.
Old 05-09-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I saw Poison in concert approximately 73 years ago. Way cool. I'm not much for cover albums though.
Old 05-10-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tesla is in no way a "hair band" they get grouped in because they are just from that era.

Tesla Reel 2 looks like the better album, but you can only get it at shows. They are not coming anywhere near my area.

Last edited by cactusoly; 05-10-07 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-10-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tesla is definitely the CD with a better song selection for me, by far. I believe also that people lump Tesla in the hair band genre mainly because they toured with many of these bands. Leppard, Poison back in the heyday as well as a hit ballad. I just thought of them as a good hard rock band. They definietly did not have the look of a hair band.
Old 05-13-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Poison "Poison'd" Wal-Mart exclusive includes a bonus track, Justin Timberlake's "Sexyback."

Last edited by bigjim25; 06-05-07 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-29-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tesla "Real To Real" Best Buy exclusive includes 4 bonus tracks:
"War Pigs" (Black Sabbath)
3 Unplugged songs:
"Shine Away" (Original on Telsa's Bust a Nut)
"Modern Day Cowboy" (Original on Telsa's Mechanical Resonance)
"Paradise" (Original on Telsa's The Great Radio Controversy)
Old 06-05-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

CC exclusive includes a T-Shirt and it's $11.99 this week

Target exclusive includes 2 FREE LAWN TICKETS VOUCHER and it's $11.99 this week also.
Old 06-06-07, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bigjim25
Tesla "Real To Real" Best Buy exclusive includes 4 bonus tracks:
"War Pigs" (Black Sabbath)
3 Unplugged songs:
"Shine Away" (Original on Telsa's Bust a Nut)
"Modern Day Cowboy" (Original on Telsa's Mechanical Resonance)
"Paradise" (Original on Telsa's The Great Radio Controversy)
Thanks for the heads up. I almost bought it at Target last night.

Noticed at both Target and Wal-Mart Poison was on the endcaps while Tesla was buried with the other stock of CDs.
Old 06-06-07, 08:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Tesla "Real To Real" FYE Exclusive Bonus CD featuring "All the Young Dudes" and an exclusive acoustic version of "Heaven's Trail (No Way Out)."

So far, it looks like you need to buy about 12 bonus editions to get the full second disc from "Real To Real"

Also, the acoustic bonus tracks (at least at Walmart) are from the upcoming box set.

Last edited by too much; 06-06-07 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-06-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Also, the acoustic bonus tracks (at least at Walmart) are from the upcoming box set.
That's what the sticker on the BB disc says as well.

I wonder what this box set is all about.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.