Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Matt Barlow is back! (sort of)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Matt Barlow is back! (sort of)

Old 05-07-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Matt Barlow is back!

EDIT: Now with Iced Earth, but still finishing the Pyramaze CD:

4/14/2007 - Matt Barlow joins the band Pyramaze

Statement from Michael Kammeyer:

I'm very happy to finally announce our new singer.
Matthew Barlow (former vocalist of the American metal band Iced Earth) will be taking over the job as Pyramaze vocalist. I've been in dialogue with Matt about his comeback for a few months now, and after we've been getting to know each other better and doing a few test demos where Matt has re-recorded a couple of our old songs, we've come to the conclusion that we are a perfect match. I've always regarded Matt as one of the very best voices in metal, and i was (as any other fan of his incredible voice) saddened by his departure from the metal scene a few years ago. Therefore I'm proud to say that Matt is back, stronger than ever, and from now on officially a part of the Pyramaze Fellowship. We are currently in a song-writing mode, and we expect to enter the studio early 2008 with Matt behind the mic. I hope and believe that old as well as new fans will welcome Matt into the Pyramaze line-up. I now leave you with these great news, and with Matt's statement below.

Cheers!
M. Kammeyer / Pyramaze

Statement from Matthew Barlow:

Brothers and sisters... The last time I made a statement to the metal community it was one of sorrow but certainly not one of regret. There are people, things and experiences - once not thought possible - that I have attained in the last several years. It's an extension of friends and family that has truly made my life whole, and one that I would not jeopardize for fame and glory.

That thought in mind, I was posed an interesting proposition by a true talent in heavy metal. Honestly, I had not heard a lot about Pyramaze, when I received an e-mail from Michael. After our initial correspondence I began to realize that this was a guy that really had his head in the right place - a musician who was in music for the music. Michael spoke to me of his band - a bunch of guys who want to put out solid music but would not sacrifice their souls to attain greatness. This is by no means a slam on I.E. or any of the great musicians I have worked with in the past. It simply means that the music industry can suck you in, chew you up, and spit you out if you don't keep firmly planted on the ground. Pyramaze are working class metal heads with something to prove! Metal is what they live for but it is not their livelihood.

Needless to say, I was instantly intrigued by Michael's delivery. Especially considering the nature of my career choice of late. I wondered if Michael had really thought the courting process through. I'm sure that there are some people that never really understood my reasons for leaving the industry and certainly don't like who or what i represent in my current vocation. There is also the fact that Pyramaze has been rather stereotyped as a prog-metal act and I as Satan / Paul Stanley. What kind of crazy mixed up world is this????

Well... The way I see it... I'm in a point in my life, where I love what I do for a living and for the first time, I can support myself and my family doing it. Now for the other great thing... That's how this band thinks. There is no expectation of co-signing (under the name Mephistopheles) in order to have your record sell. The record will sell if the music is great. The music will be great, because the guys doing it, want to do it... For all the right reasons. Pyramaze has proven that!

I sense hesitation... And rightly so... After all, there are a lot of I.E. fans out there that still just don't get it. I would imagine that there are also Pyramaze fans that love what Mr. King did for this band. Hell, I love what he did for this band! I think that the guy is a true talent and feel the same about Tim Owens (that's Ripper to you!). I also feel, that in the same way I.E. fans have taken Tim into the fold, I too can find a place within the Pyramaze family. I would venture to say that Pyramaze, already unique and uncompromising, will not be placed inside of a prog-metal box once the sparks start flying.

I am really looking forward to working with Michael and the guys!!! I also look forward to hearing feedback from the brethren and sisterhood of metal.

Up from the ashes, back from the depths, when the voices have risen, fire becomes flesh!

Barlow

Last edited by Snowmaker; 12-13-07 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-07-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who was Pyramaze's former lead singer?
Old 05-07-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like Iced Earth with Barlow ... but Ripper Owns him
Old 05-07-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred
Who was Pyramaze's former lead singer?
NOT Matt Barlow.

Lance King was his name.
Old 12-12-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Guess he didn't care for Pyramaze much, because:

http://www.icedearth.com/

MATT BARLOW IS BACK WITH ICED EARTH!

Hello Dear Friends!

Once again the winds of change are upon us, and this time I can say that I am very happy about the result.

While out on the European tour I had several in depth discussions with many loyal Iced Earth fans. A common theme of these discussions was how much Matt is missed. I agreed with the fans that things were not the same and that it was a very special period in Iced Earth’s history.

When I heard several months ago that Matt was going to be doing a project in music again, I was thinking about contacting him and seeing what his intentions were. I didn’t act on this because I was so focused on the writing of the new epic, and frankly, it just didn’t seem realistic.

Well, after getting out on the road and speaking with many of you directly, I decided to call Matt and see how he was doing and if he was interested in working together again. I am proud to say that he is coming back to Iced Earth and we will be getting back to work in the studio very soon.

Matt will be singing on Part 2 of the Something Wicked concept CD and we will be looking forward to getting out on tour and delivering a series of Iced Earth shows that will rival any in the history of the band. And there will be a proper DVD filmed from this period, something we’ve all been waiting for.

I want you all to know that it was you who made this a reality. I have missed Matt’s presence onstage and in my personal life in a big way over the past few years, so I appreciate your honesty in our discussions. It did help me realize the decision to move forward with pursuing this. The fans have spoken and we have delivered!

You true fans know that I’m a straight shooter, I say what I mean and mean what I say. And though I value your opinions greatly, you must believe that this is a decision that comes completely from the heart and is not motivated by anything other than what feels the best for Iced Earth. This is the way that things have always been dealt with, for better or for worse, but always honestly and from the heart.

Tim Owens is a great and talented singer and I wish the best for him and his future on a personal and professional level.

There will be more news soon as to further developments and plans. This will push back the release of Part 2 a bit. Not because we couldn’t be ready to record in time, but because of a new addition to Matt’s family in early 2008!

I am very happy to announce that Iced Earth is truly BACK!

Have a great holiday season. We’ll be in touch very soon with more details.

Jon Schaffer
Old 12-12-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Good news. I like Ripper's own band Beyond Fear, but I though he was terrible in Iced Earth.
Old 12-12-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jon Schaffer is an ass. The whole reason I got into Iced Earth was because of Ripper. Barlow is decent, but he is half the singer Owens is. It least I saw him on the Glorious Burdon tour twice.
Old 12-12-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree. Schaffer strikes me as being something of an assclown. However, I have to admit: while I liked the work that Iced Earth did with Tim Owens (and good lord is he amazing live), I've always liked the presence that Barlow's vocals had with them.

The person who is (again) getting the shaft is, of course, Tim Owens. I'm sure, though, that with his talents, he'll show up in another quality band soon enough.
Old 12-12-07, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Iced Earth is bassically the Jon Schaffer Band anyway
Old 12-13-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cactusoly
The whole reason I got into Iced Earth was because of Ripper. Barlow is decent, but he is half the singer Owens is. It least I saw him on the Glorious Burdon tour twice.
Yeah, same here. If it wasn't for Tim Owens joining Iced Earth, I probably still would not know of them. I did though start liking the Barlow stuff more once I started getting the back-catalog.

Glad I saw them on that tour too. Just before Richard Christy left.
Old 12-13-07, 08:14 AM

I wish Schaffer would stop producing his own albums. _Something Wicked_ sounds a lot better than anything later: rich, full, with real bass and a bass guitar you can hear, all gone on the later albums.
Old 12-13-07, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
I wish Schaffer would stop producing his own albums. _Something Wicked_ sounds a lot better than anything later: rich, full, with real bass and a bass guitar you can hear, all gone on the later albums.
Yeah, that's probably why that's my favorite one.