Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dictate my next Echo & the Bunnymen purchase :D

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-07, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK...I've been into E&tB for years but only casually. The only thing I currently own is the Crystal Days box set and the original version of Songs to Learn and Sing.

I see Rhino has remastered all their albums, and there is a more recent remaster of STLAS that includes a bonus DVD of videos.

So, should I buy all their remastered albums and not bother with STLAS? Or should I grab STLAS and not bother with the albums? Or should I just say screw it and buy EVERYTHING?

Also do the remastered songs off the remastered STLAS CD sound better than their remastered album counterparts? This is the case according to one Amazon reviewer. True or False?
Old 05-07-07, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts
I've been listening to Live In Liverpool lately and I love that one.
Old 05-07-07, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OutRun2
OK...I've been into E&tB for years but only casually. The only thing I currently own is the Crystal Days box set and the original version of Songs to Learn and Sing.

I see Rhino has remastered all their albums, and there is a more recent remaster of STLAS that includes a bonus DVD of videos.

So, should I buy all their remastered albums and not bother with STLAS? Or should I grab STLAS and not bother with the albums? Or should I just say screw it and buy EVERYTHING?

Also do the remastered songs off the remastered STLAS CD sound better than their remastered album counterparts? This is the case according to one Amazon reviewer. True or False?
IMO, Crystal Days already sounds pretty damned good. I might DL some of the album tracks you're missing and maybe a live album. Having said that, unless you're a completist, you've already got the vast majority of their released material.

Also, just have to say, Echo and the Bunnymen have never gotten anywhere near the credit they deserve. I hear their influence in a huge variety of music these days.
Old 05-07-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love the band as well, but seeing you have the box it might be overkill to get more.
Old 05-07-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't forget to check out their side project from the 90's, Electrafixion. It was basically Will and Ian and a different band, with a more aggressive guitar mix on some tracks. They have just released an import remaster which includes a live performance and bonus tracks. "Lowdown" is a standout track and could easily sit alongside the rest of the EATB catalog.
Old 05-08-07, 09:50 PM

Cool, I'll check it out
Old 05-09-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E&TB have had several albums released since Crystal Days, all worth getting.
Old 05-09-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Numanoid
E&TB have had several albums released since Crystal Days, all worth getting.
You know, you are right! They haven't done anything embarrassing on their latest albums. There are some fine songs on all of them. Also, Ian McCulloch's solo material is pretty good. I LOVE Mysterio despite lukewarm reviews (can probably be found dirt cheap on Ebay).
Old 05-10-07, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
You know, you are right! They haven't done anything embarrassing on their latest albums. There are some fine songs on all of them. Also, Ian McCulloch's solo material is pretty good. I LOVE Mysterio despite lukewarm reviews (can probably be found dirt cheap on Ebay).
Yes, I've played the hell out of Evergreen. Empire State Halo and Too Young to Kneel are up there with my favorite Bunnymen songs ever.

And I would also second the recommendation for Ian's solo stuff. His first, Candleland, is probably my favorite, but Mysterio and Slideling were both very strong as well, IMO.

A couple great videos:

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?artist=12186&vid=53985

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?artist=12186&vid=53987
Old 05-13-07, 10:43 AM
Banned

"Songs to Learn and Sing" actually hasn't been re-released, there is a new compilation called "More Songs to Learn and Sing" that features remastered tracks, but it's a totally different compilation from "STLAS." If you want complete albums, I'd suggest starting from the beginning, with heavy emphasis on "Ocean Rain," "Crocodiles," and "Porcupine." As far as later stuff goes, I'd highly recommend both "What Are You Going to Do with Your Life?" and "Siberia." Excellent stuff. I'll also second the recommendations for the Electrafixion album, "Burned," as well as Ian McCulloch's solo albums, especially "Candleland."