Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Unbelievable Ticketmaster fees!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Unbelievable Ticketmaster fees!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
You can usually bypass the fees by buying the tickets directly from the venue itself, rather than going to a Ticketmaster outlet.
that's the only way to go.

interesting note: there seems to be less fees if i buy tickets from an outlet, say at wherehouse, versus buying tickets at ticketmaster.com
Old 04-17-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While I think ticketmaster is horrible, I can honestly say that I haven't bought a single ticket from then since around 1996. It's not because I'm trying to avoid them either. Every concert/event I go to here in Austin uses a different ticket outfit. I'm not even sure any Austin venues ever use Ticketmaster. The fees are still there, but I don't think I've paid more than $8 in fees per ticket ever. I think the most popular outfit here is StarTickets, but I've bought from other places recently too.
Old 04-17-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
You can usually bypass the fees by buying the tickets directly from the venue itself, rather than going to a Ticketmaster outlet.
I used to do that. But now, more and more venues have deals with TM where they won't sell tickets at their box office until the day of the show - which is fine if the show's not sold out. But if it's going to sell out before the day of the show (which most shows do), then TM is your only choice.

What's sucks is that there outrageous service charges don't seem to be hurting ticket sales, so what's to keep TM from increasing them?
Old 04-17-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by moorehed
there is a thread like this every so often. i started one several years ago, and then the fees were ONLY like 20 bucks or something haha. fuck tm.
Case in point. TM will always have a bad rap even after I posted some information above stating that they don't even take all the fees.

People will believe what they want and TM will always have a bad rap. While I can't defend ALL the TM charges out there, I feel that promoters and venues have to take some of the blame as well (and even the artists). With prices so high by the artists themselves, venues, promoters and Ticketmaster are all looking to get a cut.

It's the nature of the business. What I don't understand is other ticketing sites have fees (that are a little lower) but no infastructure comparable to Ticketmaster.
Old 04-17-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
They are misunderstood. Well Boo-fucking-hoo for Ticketmaster.
Old 04-17-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I usually buy tickets from the venues. Here in Providence, the Providence Performing Arts Center and Lupo's sell tickets at their respective websites, but the Wilco show I bought tickets for is at the Bank of America Pavilion in Boston. Went to their site, and it directed me to Ticketmaster for tickets. Same deal for The Arcade Fire at the Orpheum.

I thought that the fees went exclusively to Ticketmaster, and that the variation in face value was due to the local promoter's fee. Bastards.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 04-17-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PJsig08
It's the nature of the business. What I don't understand is other ticketing sites have fees (that are a little lower) but no infastructure comparable to Ticketmaster.
You realize that normally, infrastructure allows you to lower prices. There's a reason Wal-Mart charges lower prices than your local grocer... infrastructure. Every ticket broker has to come up with their own method of selling tickets online, and developing a website. Ticketmaster had to do that once, and the costs should be split. If ticketmaster truly wants to lower fees, but can't because of their "infrastructure" then they are even more poorly run than I would have thought.
Old 04-17-07, 03:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You should have seen some of the fees on the higher-priced shows this year - The Police, Genesis, Live Earth, etc. We're talking $50+ in fees, for an already overpriced show! Unfortunately, that's just the way it is. Comcast came in and took over some of the venues in the Philadelphia area, but lo and behold, they've added their own service fees. You can't really win..
Old 04-17-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Not always true. Some friends and I went to Merriweather Post Pavillion in the metro DC/Baltimore area several years ago to buy lawn seats for a non-sold out show. They tacked on 3.50 per ticket for parking (we didn't park there, we walked from a nearby house - it was less than a mile) and they tacked on another approx 5.00 per ticket, plus 2.50 for the order for using a credit card, all for Ticketmaster. $22.50 in TM fees, $36.50 in total, for a set of 4 $15.00 lawn seats.

We held up the line, talked with the manager, and absolutely refused to pay any of these fees. There was plenty of time before the show started, and folks in line behind us supported us (a rarity, but it *does* happen occassionally).

Parking - We didn't park there, so unless they're charging us for NOT parking we rejected the notion that we owed them $14.00. If they insisted that we pay for NOT parking there, then I argued that they should owe us significantly more for NOT parking at our friends' nearby house - where our cars were at that moment parked. The manager relented and waived that fee, but only after asking us (absurdly) to PROVE that we didn't park there.

TM - I then argued that we weren't buying tickets from Ticketmaster, we were buying them from Merriweather Post. If we wanted to purchase tickets in advance, sure, we might be willing to pay for the privlige of having guaranteed seats in advance. But since (a) we opted to wait until show time to get tickets, therefore accepting the risk of being shut out due to a sell out, we weren't getting the benefit of ANY guarantees, and since (b) we were asking for LAWN tickets, where there are no "seats" at all, there was no service that TM was providing us that we would buy. We wanted our $15 lawn seats or we walked. When the manager called our bluff and asked the next person in line if he could help them, they said "no, I want you to resolve this with THEM first." It was apparent that a lot of folks were willing to walk, so the manager goosed the system to remove all but the $2.50 "order fee". I still didn't want to pay that, but I took the offer. We didn't buy any food/beverages while there, and we refused to return. Now that I don't live on the East Coast any longer it's easier, but I was there for 10 years and this particular show was the first (and last) I saw at MPP. Fuck them and TM.
Old 04-17-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never seem to have these problems when getting tickets thru ticketmaster. Maybe certain artists draw more "tax" than others.
Old 04-17-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Regardless of where these fees go, they are high enough that I definitely avoid arena gigs quite often.
Old 04-18-07, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower
I never seem to have these problems when getting tickets thru ticketmaster. Maybe certain artists draw more "tax" than others.
Somewhat true. I see charges of $5+ with some punk shows and then $12-15 with the Police.

Makes sense and goes back to my other point (money-grubbing artists).
Old 04-18-07, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Somewhat true. I see charges of $5+ with some punk shows and then $12-15 with the Police.
That's why I was so surprised about the Wilco fees. They seem to make a special effort to cater to their fans.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 04-18-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Case in point. TM will always have a bad rap even after I posted some information above stating that they don't even take all the fees.
Could just be that people don't believe what you posted. I have to say that with years and years of TicketBastard doing this and people complaining, especially after the whole Pearl Jam issue, it's odd that we've never heard of this little tidbit until someone posted it on a message board.

No offense intended, but I think you understand why some people would still be skeptical.
Old 04-18-07, 06:56 PM

Of course. But it's right there on wikipedia.

No one prolly ever thought to look there. I wanted more info and went straight there....
Old 04-18-07, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of course. But it's right there on wikipedia.

No one prolly ever thought to look there. I wanted more info and went straight there....
No, no one thought to look there because Wikipedia is not a trusted source of information. Anyone can edit whatever they want into a Wiki entry.
Old 05-05-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by zombeaner
I bought tickets to Morrissey here in Dallas and the tickets face value was $39.50, total for 2 tickets was $79.00 and my ultimate total was $106. That is completely ridiculous.
I just bought 2 tickets for Moz at the Ventura Theater with face valueof $90. My total for both (after BS "convenience" charges) was $209. I started by calling the venue box office and they only sell tickets via ticketbastard. I want to see the show so what am I gonna do?
Old 07-05-07, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Look at this fucking bullshit:

SPOON
FULL PRICE TICKET US $20.00 x 4
Facility Charge US $2.00 x 4
Convenience Charge US $7.90 x 4

Delivery (Will Call) No Charge
Order Processing Fee US $4.85

Total Charges US $124.45
So they're actually adding more than 50% of the actual ticket price for their damn service. I mean, a couple bucks, sure - but $45 dollars extra for 4 tickets is just ridiculous. And to add that convenience charge per ticket is just fucked, since the number of tickets I get doesn't make it any more or less convenient for me or them. God dammit! I'm really pissed - it's not that I'm cheap, it's just this bullshit of a scam that is so obvious to anyone with a brain, I just hate giving them any money, and it keeps me from going to concerts more.

I'm actually surprised they're not charging me for will-call...
Old 07-05-07, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure what face value was on these, but FWIW,

Wilco
Murat Theatre, Indianapolis, IN
Fri, Jun 15, 2007 08:00 PM

Seat location: section ORCH-R, row AA, seats 9-10
Total Charge: $87.85

BTW, it was well worth it!
Old 07-05-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ticketmaster sucks. they charge exorbinant fees for their "services". that being said they are basically the only game in town and quite the monopoly. they need to be regulated as they are bad as the scalpers outside the shows.
Old 07-05-07, 12:09 PM

Read older posts in this thread....Ticketmaster isn't as evil as you think, there are other people to blame as well
Old 07-05-07, 12:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

http://www.trashcity.org/ARTICLES/TICKET.HTM

No-one would argue that they are entitled to cover their costs and make a reasonable profit, but what they are doing goes well beyond both. It's both ludicrous, and entirely unjustifiable, not least because the charges are arbitrary. For a Merle Haggard concert, the add-ons are $2.00 and $8.25 - that's at exactly the same venue, so why is the "building facility" charge different? And why is it suddenly $1.50 more 'convenient' to buy Haggard tickets than Rollins ones? Is there some hidden expense associated with the former? No - the only difference is the face value, and hence how much money Ticketmaster can gouge out of the buyer.

Unfortunately, these days Ticketmaster are an unstoppable behemoth. Complaints about their behaviour go all the way back to at least 1994, when Pearl Jam cancelled a tour as part of their battle with the company. It serves as a nice illustration of how the company operates, and why it has become such a monster.

It started when Eddie Vedder and his mates objected to Ticketmaster adding their (strangely variable, but even back then, extortionate) fees to concert tickets, whose face value had been kept deliberately low at $18. A couple of dates in, after selling tickets through other means, they discovered that across the country, Ticketmaster had a monopoly on sales at a lot of venues, and was enforcing it aggressively. For their compliance, the venues, on their part, got what can only be described as "kickbacks", funded by the service charges. These were sometimes as much as $500,000/year, in addition to what Ticketmaster paid them up front for the monopoly. Little wonder places have no interest in exploring other avenues.

Equally as bad, the company also had exclusive contracts with promoters, locking them in with Ticketmaster. So even at an independent venue, if the event promoter is contracted with Ticketmaster, the result's the same. In the end, the problems proved too much for Pearl Jam to overcome, and the tour was cancelled, costing somewhere around $3m. They complained to the Justice Department, and two members, Jeff Ament and Steve Goddard, testified before a House Committee that Ticketmaster were a monopoly bent on eliminating competition. Aerosmith's manager testified too, saying he had no choice but to use the company, even though he hated doing so.

In 1995, the Justice Department decided against investigating Ticketmaster; Pearl Jam became Ticketmaster's bitches, and since then, things have got worse. Much worse. Ticketmaster has gobbled up competitors such as Ticketweb, to such an extent that in 2000 it was estimated that the company controlled 90% of the market, and in 2001, they sold $3.6 billion worth of tickets.
If they can't get them the same way that "Ma Bell" was forced to divide into "Baby Bells", maybe one day someone will endeavior to use the RICO laws - or something similar - on them.
Old 07-05-07, 12:47 PM

luckily a lot of the smaller venues in NYC use ticketweb...though I pretty much refuse going to garden shows cause of ticketmaster, you end up paying way too much to see a show there

at any rate, clear channel has become just as much an evil has ticketmaster has..they both have a beneficial partnership with each other.

Last edited by TripWire; 07-05-07 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-05-07, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by TripWire
luckily a lot of the smaller venues in NYC use ticketweb...though I pretty much refuse going to garden shows cause of ticketmaster, you end up paying way too much to see a show there

at any rate, clear channel has become just as much an evil has ticketmaster has..they both have a beneficial partnership with each other.

Ticketmaster owns Ticketweb, and while Ticketweb is slightly better than ticketermaster, their fees are unreasonable imo.
Old 07-05-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.iac.com/

clearchannel sold ticketmaster long ago. net income is pretty good compared to revenue. if you look at the whole company it looks like they are using ticketmaster's nice earnings to subsidize the money losing businesses

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.