Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

remasters you're still holding out for?

Old 04-09-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

remasters you're still holding out for?

Seems like the past 10-12 years have given us so many great remasters, but even in 2007, there are still a handful of major artists who we're still listening to the same CD pressings that were sold in 1986.

I've recently begun rebuying my CD collection of making the mistake of thinking "well, digital is just as good" when I was strapped for cash. And while some of my faves are available in remasters (I have the entire Bowie Japan remaster catalog), there are still some others that I love but am holding out because one day something better will be available, I don't like the low-quality sound of most 1980's pressing CD's, it's weird listening to it on shuffle and suddenly having something be really low sounding.

Offhand, who are some of the artists you're still waiting on remasters from?

For me..

The Beatles (duh, who isn't waiting for these?)

Prince (I'm still holding out hope here, but it seems like it'll never happen because of Prince's icy relationship with Warner. But I think the For You--Lovesexy (can we release this with the songs being tracked this time as well?) catalog is in vast need of remastering. I heard rumors about them getting the CD/DVD-A treatment like Depeche has been getting lately, which is sweet!!!, but I'll believe it when I see it)

Bruce Springsteen (I know of the expensive remastered Born To Run, but how about the rest of the albums through Tunnel Of Love? Born In The U.S.A. still sells very well, so I'm surprised Sony hasn't already remastered these albums)

U2 (seriously, what's the hold up? U2 never goes out of style and most of these albums are regarded as classics now. I am shocked Universal didn't deliver a "Deluxe Edition" of Joshua Tree, this being 20 years since it's release any everything)

it's kinda scary that we got remastered Sheena Easton before these aforementioned (nothing against Sheena or her fans, I love some of her fun 80's songs, but did we need a remastered Sugarwalls before a remastered Purple Rain, Joshua Tree or any Beatles album?)

Who are some other classic artists who are in dire need of a remastering in your opinion?
Old 04-09-07, 04:05 PM

the pre- Ring's Around the World albums from Super Furry Animals mastered in 5.1 sound.
Old 04-09-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Husker Du's SST stuff sounds like crap. I would like to see remasters of those.
Old 04-09-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

None. I don't purchase remasters since my limited funds send me to new music instead. Actually, I'd spend money for DVD-A and SACD, but not a stereo remaster. Not even for the Beatles or U2, which are sufficient for me.

After saying that, I'll agree the Husker Du material sounds iffy.
Old 04-09-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would love to have "Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine remastered
Old 04-09-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
None. I don't purchase remasters since my limited funds send me to new music instead. Actually, I'd spend money for DVD-A and SACD, but not a stereo remaster. Not even for the Beatles or U2, which are sufficient for me.

After saying that, I'll agree the Husker Du material sounds iffy.
well, the future in remasters should be the Depeche/R.E.M. style CD and DVD-Audio remasters together. Therefore you can have a better sounding version for the car as well as a better sounding version for your DVD player
Old 04-09-07, 07:30 PM
Banned

The REST of the Ramones catalog, with bonus stuff like the others have.
Old 04-09-07, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I would love to have "Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine remastered
Are you being sarcastic?
Old 04-09-07, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Prince (I'm still holding out hope here, but it seems like it'll never happen because of Prince's icy relationship with Warner. But I think the For You--Lovesexy (can we release this with the songs being tracked this time as well?) catalog is in vast need of remastering. I heard rumors about them getting the CD/DVD-A treatment like Depeche has been getting lately, which is sweet!!!, but I'll believe it when I see it)
QFT. I'd quite it twice because it's that true, but that would a bit much. In particular, I'd love a Rhino Handmade edition of "Sign O The Times", but that's being really greedy.

Originally Posted by Giles
the pre- Ring's Around the World albums from Super Furry Animals mastered in 5.1 sound.
Ahh yes. 5.1 "Guerrilla" especially would be lovely.

Straight remasters usually don't do it for me - I need bonus material too.

Others:

Smashing Pumpkins - "Siamese Dream": Not necessarilly a remaster - though it probably wouldn't hurt - but a super special Deluxe Edition would be nice. You know there's material for it.

Duran Duran - "Notorious", "Big Thing":...hell, and "Liberty" while we're at it. The first three were very nice - though expanded editions would be nice too - let's do some more. I read somewhere that a remastered "Big Thing" and double disc "Notorious" were planned for late 2006 [for "Notorious"' 20th anniversary perhaps?] but obviously nothing ever came of that. Shame.

Pet Shop Boys - the singles: Not an album, obviously, though the double discs of the first six remain the mold from which all deluxe editions should be cast. They've mentioned doing a singles box set before. Let's do it. Speaking of singles boxes - Bjork, where's the one you've promised us over and over?

Apparently there are some Madonna remasters in the works, which isn't a bad idea, particularly for "Like A Prayer" since it got overlooked the last time.

The deluxe edition of "Songs From The Big Chair" was nice, I wouldn't mind seeing one of "The Hurting", though the single disc remaster is perfectly acceptable.

I quite enjoyed the deluxe editions of the first two Monkees albums last year. Overkill? Absolutely, but still very nice. The next two are supposedly coming this year, and I really hope they continue through "Head" at least.

To name a few off the top of my head.
Old 04-09-07, 07:51 PM

Metallica - "And Justice for All" - I'd like to hear the bass please. And the drums sound f'd up. I hate Lars, but he does some great drumming on that album. It just sounds crappy.

Anthrax - The Joey Belladonna years

Operation Ivy - If they could clean up the Unreleased Energy demos CD that would be great.
Old 04-09-07, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

every Prince album would be great to have. all the virgin label Rolling Stones.

Then how about Devo, Pixies & Kate Bush??

and yes, it would be great to have MBV's "Loveless" remastered. i don't know why that'd even seem like a strange idea...
Old 04-09-07, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Smiths entire catalog, particularly their first self-titled album (it has terrible sound quality).
Old 04-09-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brokenhanger
QFT. I'd quite it twice because it's that true, but that would a bit much. In particular, I'd love a Rhino Handmade edition of "Sign O The Times", but that's being really greedy.
If they do this with Prince, I forsee them doing a few at a time (I heard it would be everything from For You to Symbol Album from 92... dunno if Black Album would be in this lot or not), much like they've done Depeche Mode. Maybe the first round of it will be the "blockbuster" albums (Purple Rain, 1999, Sign O' The Times, Diamonds And Pearls), then a few months later some "second tier" Prince albums, ones that are fan faves but weren't AS big as the first round saleswise (Parade, Dirty Mind, Controversy, etc....) and then a few months later, the rest of the releases (For You, Lovesexy, O+>, etc..). I think this would be quite successful if handled properly. If there's a bonus DVD-A like rumored, I'd get all of them.

Duran Duran - "Notorious", "Big Thing":...hell, and "Liberty" while we're at it. The first three were very nice - though expanded editions would be nice too - let's do some more. I read somewhere that a remastered "Big Thing" and double disc "Notorious" were planned for late 2006 [for "Notorious"' 20th anniversary perhaps?] but obviously nothing ever came of that. Shame.
oh, I'd love these too. I actually favor the Notorious and Big Thing eras to the "classic" period, I guess I'm just burnt out on the early years. A 2 disc Notorious would kick all butt

Pet Shop Boys - the singles: Not an album, obviously, though the double discs of the first six remain the mold from which all deluxe editions should be cast. They've mentioned doing a singles box set before. Let's do it. Speaking of singles boxes - Bjork, where's the one you've promised us over and over?
Not quite what you're asking for, but figure I may as well mention it. I've read that Neil Tennant has confirmed a "Further Listening" remaster (well, how remastered can a cd that came out in 1999 sound?) of Nightlife later this year, and possibly Release (which is barely five years old) too.

Apparently there are some Madonna remasters in the works, which isn't a bad idea, particularly for "Like A Prayer" since it got overlooked the last time.
I'm waiting for these too. I heard the entire catalog (even the first three that were remastered in 2001) is getting overhauled and going to be put on CD/DVD-A combinations as well. I too, cannot wait to hear Like A Prayer remastered. IMO, it's my favorite album of her entire catalog and the 1989 CD is so tinny sounding. It deserves better.

damn, it looks like we share a lot of the same tastes, lol
Old 04-09-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dhmac
The Smiths entire catalog, particularly their first self-titled album (it has terrible sound quality).
I've heard that there are imports that sound better than the American CDs.
Old 04-09-07, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dokken (First 4 studio and a full double-live one)
Metallica (first 4)
Old 04-09-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jackson_Browne
Are you being sarcastic?
I also don't see why that would be sarcasm. I have a vinyl copy of Loveless and like the sound more than the CD. I'd love to have a properly remastered CD. I'm sure the original is not intended to have a lot of dynamic range (and it doesn't) but I'd still like to hear a better-sounding CD, or preferably SACD.
Old 04-09-07, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Dokken (First 3)
Metallica (first 5)
Dio - first 4
Bryan Adams - up to waking up the neighbors, the rest sound pretty good
Ratt - All
Anthrax - State Of Euphoria
Bad Company - 80's Brian Howe period cd's
Extreme - first 2
Cinderella - first 3
Damn Yankees - Both
David Lee Roth - first 2
Van Halen - the sammy hagar cd's
Scorpions - all earlier 80's stuff
Boston - third stage
Winger - first 2, pull and IV sound great
ZZ Top - Eliminator,Afterburner and Recycler
Ozzy Osbourne - A more respectable version of The Ultimate Sin
Black Sabbath - The Mob Rules

And lastly, Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry

Last edited by johnbook; 04-12-07 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-10-07, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
The REST of the Ramones catalog, with bonus stuff like the others have.
absolutely agree.
Old 04-10-07, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nirvana, sure we have the shitty gh set which sounds great, but what about the albums, they are mastered too low.
Old 04-10-07, 07:43 AM

If they do this with Prince, I forsee them doing a few at a time (I heard it would be everything from For You to Symbol Album from 92... dunno if Black Album would be in this lot or not), much like they've done Depeche Mode. Maybe the first round of it will be the "blockbuster" albums (Purple Rain, 1999, Sign O' The Times, Diamonds And Pearls), then a few months later some "second tier" Prince albums, ones that are fan faves but weren't AS big as the first round saleswise (Parade, Dirty Mind, Controversy, etc....) and then a few months later, the rest of the releases (For You, Lovesexy, O+>, etc..). I think this would be quite successful if handled properly. If there's a bonus DVD-A like rumored, I'd get all of them.
I hadn't heard that rumour yet, but it sounds good to me! Let's get some of those outtakes out of the vault.

The phases plan sounds reasonable - especially for a body of work so large, and Rhino has done it numerous times in the past. I wonder, though, if they'd burn through all of the big ones first - I remember when they did the last batch of Monkees reissues, they did three batches of three for the 9 albums. Each had a "blockbuster" album as you say, a fan favorite, and one of the post-"Head" albums that really only appeal to the die hards. Regardless, I'm definately in for "Dirty Mind" -> "Lovesexy", but if they're done nice I'd grab em all.

Not quite what you're asking for, but figure I may as well mention it. I've read that Neil Tennant has confirmed a "Further Listening" remaster (well, how remastered can a cd that came out in 1999 sound?) of Nightlife later this year, and possibly Release (which is barely five years old) too.
I've heard about the "Nightlife" remaster as well - he said it a few years back, I believe, even before "Fundamental" came out if I'm not mistaken. And I'm all up for that - "Release might be a bit much, but I'd probably feel obliged to pick it up as well. What I'm really talking about, though, is a nice big box set with all of the singles and b-sides and remixes, etcetera. Comprehensive is obvioulsy asking for a lot - there's a ton out there - but but something along the lines of the Depeche Mode boxes that gets the commercial singles and some of the promo or extremely limited stuff collected for a start. They'd probably have to break it up a la Depeche Mode as well since there's so many of them.

I'm waiting for these too. I heard the entire catalog (even the first three that were remastered in 2001) is getting overhauled and going to be put on CD/DVD-A combinations as well. I too, cannot wait to hear Like A Prayer remastered. IMO, it's my favorite album of her entire catalog and the 1989 CD is so tinny sounding. It deserves better.
If they do that - which I've also heard rumors of - I hope they have the smarts to give us the old 12" mixes as bonuses...and more than 2 per album this time please.

damn, it looks like we share a lot of the same tastes, lol
Heh, it does, doesn't it?
Old 04-10-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The rest of the Bob Dylan back catalogue.

Alice Cooper ("Love it to Death", "Killer", "School's Out")
Old 04-10-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would also say the first 4 Metallica albums and ...And Justice For All really needs to be remixed as well.
Old 04-10-07, 11:26 AM

Along with many other mentinoed above:

R.E.M. - At least the IRS years if not Green and Out of Time.
RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Another vote for The Smiths!
Old 04-10-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by johnbook
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Dokken (First 3)
Metallica (first 5)

That's not what I said.

No love for Back for the Attack?!

And I don't think the black album needs it half as bad as the earlier stuff.
Old 04-10-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by glasschicken
Along with many other mentinoed above:

R.E.M. - At least the IRS years if not Green and Out of Time.
actually, Green and Out Of Time were remastered into CD/DVD-Audio combinations two years ago, along with the entire Warner catalog (though with Reveal and Around The Sun, it was likely a straight transfer on the CD side)

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.