Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Amy Winehouse - Back To Black

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Amy Winehouse - Back To Black

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe we'll also have to wait for the 3-Disc Ultra Special Extended Edition Deluxe Version of this album. Darn.
Old 10-24-07, 03:29 AM

I doubt they are milking it. It has been a monster success around the world but I don't feel a desperate attempt to get more money like Mariah and Usher did. I believe one more single (for the UK, making it 5) is planned since she already started working on her next album. It will be Love Is A Losing Game (love that song). Good news is that she will change the sound (leaving behind the 60's girlband sound of this album) for something new although keeping Mark Ronson as a producer. Bad news is that she's working with Americans Missy Elliott and Timbaland as well among others.

Last edited by gatoinfeliz; 10-24-07 at 03:32 AM.
Old 10-24-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The debut album by Amy Winehouse, released in the UK in October 2003, is being released in the United States on 13 November 2007. This is because of the success Back to Black has achieved and the demand for the album from Winehouse's American fans. The U.S. release of the album will come over four years after its original release in the UK.
UK singles:
"Stronger Than Me"
Released: October 6, 2003
"Take the Box"
Released: January 12, 2004
"In My Bed"/"You Sent Me Flying"
Released: April 5, 2004
"Fuck Me Pumps"/"Help Yourself"
Released: August 23, 2004
Old 10-24-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by gatoinfeliz
I doubt they are milking it.
You're kidding, right? This smacks of a record company pullin' up 'ol Bessie to the pump and yanking the hell outta her teats..

Their popular artist is zoned out on smack and whoknowswhatother pharmaceuticals, so they have to do what they can with what they have. Hell, who even knows if she'll survive to record that next album..
Old 10-24-07, 01:33 PM

For those of you who enjoyed this album (which I also think is amazing!) you might wanna check out Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings. The Dap-Kings were actually Amy's backing band for parts of the album, and in most of her live performances. Their music with power house lead singer Sharon Jones is some of the best and most affecting soul music out there. The just released their new album "100 Days, 100 Nights" and they aren't retro.. they sound like they are really from the 1960s. They even record on analog!

You can check them out at the record label website... which also includes a number of other 60s-style soul music groups; their studio is specially setup to relive the old style sound.
http://www.daptonerecords.com/
Old 10-24-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I played some of SJ&tDK on my radio show. Good stuff. While it was spinning, I was surprised to discover that Sharon is 51 years old. Not that I have a problem with it, she just doesn't look it in the pics i've seen.

Guess Patti was right..."Black don't crack".
Old 10-24-07, 11:51 PM

I was quite surprised by Sharon's age as well! Apparently she (and the band) puts off a very lively and energetic live show, which would be awesome to see. The only unfortunate thing for Sharon is that she was probably born about 10 years too late... but at least now she is getting her chance to shine!
Old 11-14-07, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
This was released yesterday:

I Told You I Was Trouble: Amy Winehouse Live from London

Already hailed as one of the decade's top live performers, Amy gives us fair warning with the devilishly titled I Told You I Was Trouble. The DVD features as its centerpiece a rollicking and emotive 60 minute concert performance filmed live from London's 104 year old Sheperd's Bush Empire. For Amy Winehouse fans, I Told You I Was Trouble also serves up a potpourri of bonus material including a 50 minute film chronicling her incredible rise as one of music's most colorful and acclaimed new voices; never-before-seen early performances; an interview with her father, and other rare, behind the scenes glimpses of the British siren. Showcasing her hit songs from her UK debut release Frank and the international platinum-plus release Back To Black (recently passing the 3 million sales milestone worldwide), the concert from Sheperd's Bush features "You Know I'm No Good," "Tears Dry On Their Own", Amy's cover of the Zuton's "Valerie", and her Billboard topping hit "Rehab," among others.

It's super cheap ($7.99) this week at Best Buy and Amazon. The latter is having a deal where can buy this and the new Mika livd DVD for $19.48.
Old 11-15-07, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Amy Cokehouse has deteriorated into a complete joke who makes Britney Spears look like Mother Teresa. I will never buy another CD by this idiot until she cleans herself up.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071115...eoplewinehouse

Thu Nov 15, 2:59 PM ET

Winehouse in the doghouse after 'atrocious' tour debut

LONDON (AFP) - Troubled soul singer Amy Winehouse kicked off her 17-date tour with a shambolic performance that saw fuming fans booing and marching out, reports said Thursday.

The concert at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham, was a chance for the 24-year-old to get back to singing and put her woes behind her.

Winehouse has had "health issues" -- widely reported to be drug and alcohol abuse -- and her party-loving husband Blake Fielder-Civil is being held on grievous bodily harm and conspiracy to pervert the course of justice charges.

But Wednesday's gig at the NIA, which can hold up to 13,000 people, was slammed by angry fans as a "disgrace" after she turned up late and stumbled about the stage.

When punters started jeering, Winehouse snapped: "Let me tell you something. First of all, if you're booing, you're a mug for buying a ticket.

"Second, to all those booing, just wait till my husband gets out of incarceration -- and I mean that."

The Birmingham Mail newspaper's music critic Andy Coleman said it was "one of the saddest nights of my life".

"I saw a supremely talented artist reduced to tears, stumbling around the stage and, unforgivably, swearing at the audience," he wrote.

James Dyas demanded his money back, according to London's Evening Standard newspaper.

"She came on stage half an hour late. She managed four songs but was slurring her words and swaying all over the place," he said.

"She fell into the guitar stand and dropped the microphone -- it was atrocious. The song dedicated to her husband was so bad it was like swinging a cat round your head."

An, from Birmingham, commented on The Times newspaper's website: "Her singing was awful, out of tune and slurred. She sang for around 50 minutes -- drinking throughout.

"I have never seen so many people leave a show. 'Valerie' was my favourite song -- she massacred it!"

Pete Massera, from north-west England, added: "It was an absolutely atrocious gig. I, like many others in the audience, got our coats and left before she even finished the set."

Gary Atwell, from nearby Rugby, said "streams" of fans walked out, according to the BBC website.

"I went out for a sneaky cigarette half way through and at least 40 people left, just in that five minutes," he said.

"Valerie", the closing number, descended into chaos when Winehouse stopped singing, dropped the microphone and walked off stage.

Winehouse, named best British female solo artist at the Brit Awards in February, has rarely been out of the newspapers in recent months due to her lifestyle issues.
Old 11-15-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I foresee her in the obits very, very soon...sad to say.
Old 11-15-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The more fucked up this broad gets, the hotter I find her to be.
Old 11-17-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have her two albums, and I find her marginally talented, at best, though her style of music isn't really one I'm into. Sad to see anyone give in to addiction, though. It's a pathetic thing, no matter what your position in life.
Old 11-19-07, 08:30 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm glad I saw her in Philly in May. She was drinking on stage but was functioning fine, telling random stories in between songs but when it came to her singing, it was spot on, no slurring, nothing.

Every time I hear/read about one of these stories where she was too fucked up and ruined a show/got arrested it makes me glad I got to see her before the huge downfall. Plus at the rate she's going, she'll be dead in a year.
Old 11-20-07, 02:32 AM

She also has horrible teeth. I mean, no jokes, its really, really bad. Plaque is the least of her problems.
Old 11-20-07, 04:02 AM

Has anyone seen the youtube clip where she ever so slickly searches in her beehive and takes a line on stage?
Old 11-20-07, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gatoinfeliz
Has anyone seen the youtube clip where she ever so slickly searches in her beehive and takes a line on stage?
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Ei5w3Gpwdo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Ei5w3Gpwdo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Old 11-20-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Buckleyesque
She also has horrible teeth. I mean, no jokes, its really, really bad. Plaque is the least of her problems.
I'm guessing her teeth problems aren't caused by plaque.
Old 11-20-07, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bugg
The more fucked up this broad gets, the hotter I find her to be.
I'm right there with you man!
Old 11-20-07, 11:17 AM

Old 11-20-07, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That youtube is classic

What a mess
Old 11-28-07, 11:52 AM
Cool New Member

Frank is a good album, but its production values are much simpler than Back to Black's. Amy's voice sounds more impressive on BtB, which is odd considering all the weight she lost between Frank and it. The Mark Ronson production seem really obvious know on BtB after listening to Frank.

I don't see why she wants to disavow it. It's a good debut album.

I hope she gets her life back together. She's very talented and deserves to be more in control of herself.
Old 01-11-08, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
found this on imdb
"Troubled star Amy Winehouse has shocked fans by chopping off her trademark beehive hairstyle. The singer has had her hair cut into a short crop, and has swapped her formerly dark locks for a peroxide blonde hairdo. The new style is reported to have been the work of her hairdresser Alex Foden, who lives in the same east London apartment block as Winehouse. A source tells British newspaper The Sun, "She just said she felt like it. She'd thought about having a blonde beehive but decided on the shorter look." A spokesperson for the star adds, "She wanted a new look for the New Year."
I hope she can clean herself up this year, since I believe she does have tallent. I'm actually interested in seeing pics of this.
Old 01-11-08, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 01-11-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Now if only she could do something about being a smack addict..
Old 01-11-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Guess she took the advice of Flight of the Conchords' manager Murray Hewitt:

Oh my god! For a start it’s all in the surname. You want to change that. A lot of people hear that, they can tell she’s off the rails. Why not change it to Amy Music-fun? People will see that’s what you’re into, fun, but mainly music, not just staying at home and drinking wine! You need to something with your look. Eat more! What we should do is only have lunch meetings, we’ll have a good feed and then we’ll talk about the people you’re hanging out with. She knows that Pete Doherty guy? It’s the same advice again really: model yourself on a nice pop band! Perhaps Amy could try The Kinks this time, and for heaven’s sake do something with your hair! It’s ridiculous.
http://www.nme.com/news/flight-of-the-conchords/33601

(He also gives his advice to Oasis and Pete Doherty.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.