Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Songs on cassette/album release, but not CD

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

The other night, I was looking up information on one of my favorite albums, III Sides To Every Story by Extreme from 1992. I read a review I found, and was surprised to read that there was apparently a song on the cassette/album release that was cut for the CD release, because of the old time constraints they used to have on compact discs. I actually still have the old cassette of this album, since it was what I purchased before I started buying CD's. It's been so long since I've listened to the cassette that I no longer even knew what the song sounded like. So, I popped it in the stereo and was blown away by the fact that not only did I remember the song again instantly, but I remembered all the words as well...and it's been years since I've listened to it! I totally forgot the song ever existed!

I'm surprised they didn't re-release the album once technology caught up with the times, and they were able to put more songs on a CD. The only other album I can think of that is related to this is Prince's 1999, which saw the omission of "D.M.S.R." for the compact disc release. Although, that song eventually found its way onto future pressings.

Did this happen a lot back then, with songs being omitted for CD releases? Like I said, I can only think of the two instances. I'm interested to learn how often this occurred.
Old 02-24-07, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first CD release of The Cure's Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me was missing "Hey You". It has since been added to the reissue.
Old 02-24-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've heard of things being the other way around...more songs on a CD release, but never songs included on tape but not on CD.

I've also heard of songs being on vinyl and left off CD.
Old 02-24-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It happened with live albums a lot. Iron Maiden - Live After Death and Dokken - Beast From the East come to mind.
Old 02-24-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I've heard of things being the other way around...more songs on a CD release, but never songs included on tape but not on CD.
Yeah, I've seen lots of CD's that have "bonus tracks" not found on cassette/vinyl releases. Violent Femmes' first album is the example that comes to mind for that one. "Ugly" and "Gimme The Car" weren't on the initial cassette/vinyl release.

I've also heard of songs being on vinyl and left off CD.
That's kind of what I meant in the first post by "album".
Old 02-24-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Metallica's first album Kill 'em All had Am I Evil? and Blitzkrieg which were both covers if I recall. I have two copies of the cassette, one with and one without, and I believe they are omitted on the CD as well.
Old 02-24-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The cassette version of The Cure's "Staring at the Sea" ("Standing on a Beach") contained fewer A sides than the CD version but 12 cool B sides on the second side. Lots of those songs are really worth hearing.
Old 02-24-07, 03:18 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Speaking of The Cure, has Carnage Visors made its way to DVD yet?
Old 02-24-07, 03:57 PM

L.L. Cool J's "Walking With a Panther" has 2 songs on the cassette that didn't make the CD, "Crime Stories" and "Jack the Ripper."
Digital Underground had 4 cassette only tracks (Hip Hop Doll, Gutfest '89 (full version), Sound of the Underground and A Tribute to the Early Days) on their debut "Sex Packets" that didn't make the CD.
Old 02-24-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts
Wasn't "Little Drummer Boy" removed from later releases of Joan Jett: I Love Rock and Roll?

Although technically, I think it was removed from a re-release of the LP.
Old 02-24-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Speaking of The Cure, has Carnage Visors made its way to DVD yet?
For those interested, Carnage Visors was the score for an animated film by Simon Gallup's brother. It was on the B-side of the Faith cassette.

Unfortunately, that in no way answers your question...
Old 02-24-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dgmayor
Metallica's first album Kill 'em All had Am I Evil? and Blitzkrieg which were both covers if I recall. I have two copies of the cassette, one with and one without, and I believe they are omitted on the CD as well.
Actually, those two songs are not part of the "Kill 'Em All" album. They were b-sides to the "Creeping Death" 12" single and put on later versions of the cassette copies of "Kill 'Em All" as bonus tracks.

There's plenty of songs that are not on CD but only appear on vinyl versions of the album. Mainly punk/indie bands. Just off the top of my head:

The Hellacopters do a version of "City Slang" that is on the "Payin' The Dues" LP, but not on CD.
The Wildhearts have a live version of "Weekend" that is only on the vinyl version of "Strike Back".
I know the Donnas have a song or two that only appear on vinyl.
Old 02-24-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So were all these songs you're mentioning not released on the CD releases because of time constraints, or other reasons?
Old 02-24-07, 05:59 PM
Banned

Early versions of the cd had those songs. I have two (different) early versions that contain them.
Old 02-24-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have those songs on my CD of Kill "Em All. They put them on when Metallica switched from Megaforce to Elektra Records, and then later took them off.

I also have a Kill 'Em All CD on the Megaforce label.
Old 02-24-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
There are several double live albums that had songs removed for cd so it would fit on a single disc. In a few cases there are three different versions: original double album complete on 2 cds, edited version on 1 cd, and complete original + bonus tracks on 2 cds. Is there a complete "Uriah Heep-Live"? Only version I've found has the Rock 'n' Roll Medly from end of side 4 missing on 1 cd.
Also seen some of those 2 albums on 1 cd where a few songs were cut to make it fit.
Old 02-24-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Digital Underground had 4 cassette only tracks (Hip Hop Doll, Gutfest '89 (full version), Sound of the Underground and A Tribute to the Early Days) on their debut "Sex Packets" that didn't make the CD.
After listening to the tape for so long when I was younger, I was SO ticked to get the cd and find out these tracks were missing. I really really loved those songs. I was always hoping there would be an import version of the cd that might have these included.
Old 02-25-07, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hammer Too Legit To Quit

Rollin' On (Bonus on side one)
Street Soldiers (Saxapella Reprise) (Bonus on side two)
Addams Groove (Bonus on side two, later added to CD release)

I could swear DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince had some bonus tracks on a couple of albums, but I can't find any confirmation of this...
Old 02-25-07, 11:52 AM

INFIDEL - That track actually was on the Japanese release of Extreme III Sides.

If you are interested, I may still have it in a box somewhere. Let me know.
Old 02-25-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, but I broke out my conversion software, hooked up the tape player to the computer, and made an mp3 out of it already. I'm good to go.
Old 02-25-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

10,000 Maniacs' version of "Peace Train" is on the cassette, but sadly missing from the CD version of "In My Tribe."
Old 02-25-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by achau9598
10,000 Maniacs' version of "Peace Train" is on the cassette, but sadly missing from the CD version of "In My Tribe."
I remember being happy that they left it off when I bought the CD back in the early ninties after owning the tape for a while. Personally, I freakin' hate "Peace Train" and the Maniac's cover dipped more than a few toes into preciousness.
Old 02-26-07, 03:17 AM

I bought "In My Tribe" on cd shortly after it was released and "Peace Train" is there. I recall that the band had it removed from the album after Cat Stevens said something supporting the fatwa against Salman Rushdie.
Old 02-26-07, 09:14 AM

achau9598
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Let me know if you got my email...
Old 02-26-07, 04:59 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JP5683
I could swear DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince had some bonus tracks on a couple of albums, but I can't find any confirmation of this...
On a related note, on He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper the version of "Nightmare on My Street" is missing a few lines on the CD version from what was on my old cassette version.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.