Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

VH-1 Classic to air entire 4 hr R&R Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Should be worth it just to see the Van Halen drama that unfolds

Show: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
Episode: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony (2007)
Network: (VH1C) VH1 Classic
Date: Monday - March 12, 2007
Time: 8:30/7:30c PM
Duration: 4:00

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony (2007)

Airs live from the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City.

The 2007 inductees are: Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five (Kid
Creole, Cowboy, Grandmaster Flash, Melle Mel, Mr. Ness, Raheim);
R.E.M. (Bill Berry, Peter Buck, Mike Mills, Michael Stipe); The
Ronettes (Estelle Bennett, Ronnie Spector, Nedra Talley); Patti Smith;
Van Halen (Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar, Alex Van Halen, Eddie Van
Halen, David Lee Roth).

http://www.vh1.com/artists/rock_on_t...ys=&startdoc=1
Old 02-22-07, 07:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I'm in for this.
Old 02-22-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
I *heart* this channel
Old 02-23-07, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
I *heart* this channel
I know, I got to watch the entire Police reunion announcement at whiskey-a-gogo the other day on the channel
Old 02-23-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great news! I've always enjoyed getting to see the ceremony even in truncated form. I wish they would get the rights to broadcast the ceremonies that occurred before they began airing them on television.
Old 03-13-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Geez was Peter Buck wasted or what? Drinking wine during the induction. Real class Pete. And tossing an amp into the front row almost hitting a couple people. The rest of REM are class acts though.

You could tell everyone in the hall was wondering what Sammy Hagar was doing on that stage during the closing song (People have the Power). Halls of Fame are created to exclude musical lightweights like Hagar but there he is riding Van Halen's coattails to try to be significant. Eddie Veddar tried like hell to avoid singing with him. And even skinny Michael Stipe almost stepped all over his fat ass. And what the hell is he doing singing a Patti Smith song about social activism when all he ever sings about is pussy and tequila?

What an embarrassment.
Old 03-13-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by cungar
You could tell everyone in the hall was wondering what Sammy Hagar was doing on that stage during the closing song (People have the Power). Halls of Fame are created to exclude musical lightweights like Hagar but there he is riding Van Halen's coattails to try to be significant. Eddie Veddar tried like hell to avoid singing with him. And even skinny Michael Stipe almost stepped all over his fat ass. And what the hell is he doing singing a Patti Smith song about social activism when all he ever sings about is pussy and tequila?

What an embarrassment.
Wasn't posting this once enough to get your point across?
Old 03-13-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
Sammy has more class than lots of other folks in R&R. Not that he sounded good.
Old 03-13-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
Wasn't posting this once enough to get your point across?
Wasn't responding to it once enough to get yours across?
Old 03-13-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Sammy has more class than lots of other folks in R&R.
Not to mention the first MONTROSE album which is way better than anything Van Halen ever recorded.
Old 03-13-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Sammy but ... the crteria for induction in the hall is 25 years, Sammy joined in 85 so he shouldn't be inducted with them because he was in VH only 23 years.

On the other hand Ronnie James Dio should have been inducted with Black Sabbath because he joined in 79 making it 27 years.

also, Velvet Revolver was horrible
Old 03-13-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

IS this getting repeated anytime soon? (Esp on MHD??)
Old 03-13-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Wasn't responding to it once enough to get yours across?
I don't know. Let's find out.

You could tell everyone in the hall was wondering what Sammy Hagar was doing on that stage during the closing song (People have the Power). Halls of Fame are created to exclude musical lightweights like Hagar but there he is riding Van Halen's coattails to try to be significant.
If you want to get technical, Sammy was a member of VH longer than Dave was. Now, if Gary had been there, that would have been a genuine coattail-riding. Luckily, Gary is fully aware of his status when it comes to VH, and he's already said in interviews that there's no way he would have even considered being included with them for this event.

NOW it's been responded to twice.
Old 03-13-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Plus no "Diamond Dave" VH album reached # 1, yet every studio album with Sammy did.
Old 03-14-07, 02:51 PM

Geez was Peter Buck wasted or what? Drinking wine during the induction. Real class Pete. And tossing an amp into the front row almost hitting a couple people. The rest of REM are class acts though.

What an embarrassment.
Cabo Wabo or whatever the hell its called - Hagar sucks ass
Old 03-14-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Plus no "Diamond Dave" VH album reached # 1, yet every studio album with Sammy did.

And we all know sales=quality. Just look at today's pop charts.
Old 03-14-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Voting rigged in favor of Grandmaster Flash?

From Salon.com:

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007
Hall of shame
Earlier this week, in New York, Patti Smith, the Ronettes, R.E.M. and Van Halen were inducted along with Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The big news of the night was that the induction of Grandmaster Flash and his angry quintet marked the first time a rap act has gained entry into the hall. Unfortunately, Flash's induction may have been the result of some Jann Wenner-led shenanigans: On Wednesday morning, Fox News' Roger Friedman wrote that British invasion group the Dave Clark Five reportedly received more votes than Grandmaster Flash in the final tally, but "Jann went back to a previous ballot instead of taking the final vote as the last word," a source told Friedman. "He used a technicality about the day votes were due in. In reality, the Dave Clark Five got six more votes than Grandmaster Flash. But he felt we couldn't go another year without a rap act... We begged Jann to allow all six acts to be inducted. But he insisted that he couldn't because there wouldn't be enough time."

The suspect practices of this year's induction have shed some unflattering light on the way the hall works -- and the purpose of its existence. (Let's keep in mind its self-described mission is to honor "the legendary performers, producers, songwriters, disc jockeys and others who have made rock and roll the force that it is in our culture.") The bottom line is that the hall's inductees clearly reflect the taste of a certain type of listener, a listener who likes the same stuff as Jann Wenner. The Fox story claimed that a good chunk of the hall's 32-person nominating committee consists of Wenner employees such as Rolling Stone writers Joe Levy, David Fricke and Nathan Brackett and Wenner musical buddies like Paul Shaffer, Steven Van Zandt and Robbie Robertson (who are the only musicians on the committee). It's a kowtowing, not to mention gray-bearded, bunch of decision-makers. A great story from MTV.com quoted an anonymous member of the hall's nominating committee describing the nomination process: "I walk into the room and it's full of old men. There's no young people, there's like two women, there's no people of color -- well, I shouldn't say none, but there's a preponderance of old men. I look across the table and I see people sleeping -- I'm just waiting for someone to die at the table -- and they're making the decisions!"

Fealty to Wenner and age/taste demographics of the nominating committee go a long way in explaining how cloying singer-songwriters like Jackson Browne and forgotten nostalgia acts like the Flamingos make it into the hall while influential and challenging legends like Yes and Tom Waits are on the outside looking in. (You can view a list of the inductees here). And anyway, a rock hall of fame that doesn't include Captain Beefheart, T. Rex or the Meters isn't worth its salt. What do you think? Is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a worthwhile institution? If so, who are its most egregious oversights? Post your answers in the comments section.

-- David Marchese

Print Email Digg it Del.icio.us Permalink
Old 03-14-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And we all know sales=quality. Just look at today's pop charts.
I knew someone would say that. I like Dave. I like Sammy too. As far as a live act they were stellar with Sammy. I did see them with both singers and think Sammy fully deserved to be inducted as well as D.D.

Fact is, they sold more records and had bigger success with Sammy. Some folks prefer Dave. Some prefer Sammy, I like both. Glad the one with the class showed up to get the award at least.
Old 03-14-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wait a minute. Tom waits isn't in the Hall? You're kidding me...
Old 03-14-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
i like sammy and dave equally... Van Halen was a totatlly different band with each of the singers IMO. This Grand Master Flash thing sucks...wtf is a rap act doing being inducted into the ROCK AND ROLL hall of fame? It;s not like they honor Rock artists when they have VH! Hip Hop Honors..and they shouldnt
Old 03-15-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't have a problem with rap acts being inducted but I do think Grandmaster Flash was given the nod for politically correct reasons. The Beastie Boys become eligible next year but Run DMC isn't eligible until the following year. It wouldn't look too good to have a group of white guys be the first act inducted even though they are obviously worthy of the honor.
Old 03-15-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fact is, they sold more records and had bigger success with Sammy. Some folks prefer Dave. Some prefer Sammy, I like both. Glad the one with the class showed up to get the award at least.
As I posted on another thread .. I could have sworn Dave era sold almost 2x as much as the Sammy era.