Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bands that are great... But you don't like their music

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Bands that are great... But you don't like their music

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think most jazz works this way for me. Whenever I listen to a jazz show on the radio I always think that, as musicians, they're several steps beyond any rock musician. Then I put on "Beat on the Brat", love it, and remember that I don't really give a shit about the quality of the musicianship, the complexity of the arrangement or the amount of theory that went into the music's creation if the music doesn't resonate with me.

Same goes for most 'experimental" music (Philip Glass, Throbbing Gristle, Swans etc). I can appreciate it for it's technical merit, but I can't stand listening to it.

Also, Santana and Cream are insanely overrated. Although, Santana's live "Lotus" set almost convinced me of their merit.
Old 02-09-07, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thread title doesn't really make any sense. I think you mean, bands that are "talented" that you can't get into.
Old 02-09-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Dave Matthews Band. I think they are really talented musicians, but his voice makes me want to jump off a building. I also like many of their songs off the first 2 or 3 albums, but none of the later stuff.
Old 02-09-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rush. I hate them. I wish they would DIAF.
Old 02-09-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jackson_Browne
The thread title doesn't really make any sense. I think you mean, bands that are "talented" that you can't get into.
Not really. Look at a list of the greatest _____ bands. Most have been mentioned on the 'greatest' lists - ex:
Nirvana. Then you look at the list and say ... well I can't stand them. I think the Ramones are great - definitely not the most talented.

Last edited by Flashback; 02-09-07 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-09-07, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hard for me to answer this, because the bands whose music i don't like are generally not "great" imo.
Old 02-09-07, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Flashback
Not really. Look at a list of the greatest _____ bands. Most have been mentioned on the 'greatest' lists - ex:
Nirvana. Then you look at the list and say ... well I can't stand them. I think the Ramones are great - definitely not the most talented.
So what you are saying is that popular opinion or some kind of critical consensus makes a band great. To me, a band is great if I like them, regardless of what the critics think or how many albums they have sold.
Old 02-09-07, 10:15 PM

I've tried really hard to get into Dream Theater. I've watched a couple of their dvds a few times and I appreciate their music, especially their bass player, but I get really bored after 5 minutes. Their songs sound way too repetitive and similar to me.
Old 02-09-07, 11:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
I've tried really hard to get into Dream Theater. I've watched a couple of their dvds a few times and I appreciate their music, especially their bass player, but I get really bored after 5 minutes. Their songs sound way too repetitive and similar to me.

Dream Theater are not "great". Unless by great you mean shitty.
Old 02-10-07, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I always thought it was strange that in my CD collection (over 2000 discs) I don't have anything by The Who, The Rolling Stones or The Grateful Dead. I wouldn't say I don't like their music, but they're just not bands I'm interested in hearing more of.
Old 02-10-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I think most jazz works this way for me. Whenever I listen to a jazz show on the radio I always think that, as musicians, they're several steps beyond any rock musician. Then I put on "Beat on the Brat", love it, and remember that I don't really give a shit about the quality of the musicianship, the complexity of the arrangement or the amount of theory that went into the music's creation if the music doesn't resonate with me.
Very well said, and I agree completely (particularly with the jazz/punk comparison!) I think it's good to expose yourself to different kinds of music, and to appreciate the skills various styles require, but at the end of the day you've got to go with what really moves you. You can bring an intellectual aspect TO music appreciation, but you don't want to over-intellectualize the enjoyment of music.
Old 02-10-07, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by tommyp007
Another vote for U2.

Also, I never really got/get all the hype over the Rolling Stones.
Same here.

And add Led Zeppelin to that list as well.

Their music has a cold unemotional quality to it that I never could get past.
Old 02-10-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackson_Browne
So what you are saying is that popular opinion or some kind of critical consensus makes a band great. To me, a band is great if I like them, regardless of what the critics think or how many albums they have sold.
I think the title should have read "Bands that are considered great..."

or there was this thread.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 02-10-07 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-10-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For me it's Led Zeppelin. I recognize their huge influence on much of the music I listen to but I just can't get into them.
Old 02-11-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Beatles. I like their first album (which is very un-Beatles like) and dislike pretty much everything else.

The Who. If it's not in a CSI theme I probably don't like it - not that CSI has anything to do with my liking it, it just worked out that way
Old 02-11-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Flashback
I think the Ramones are great - definitely not the most talented.
When I read the thread title, The Ramones was the first group I thought of.