DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Smashing Pumpkins: Zeitgeist - 7/7/07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/491831-smashing-pumpkins-zeitgeist-7-7-07-a.html)

DVD Josh 02-24-07 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
seriously though, people are allowed to discuss SP/the new album/tour in this thread even if they're not 100% with you. this isn't china.

Discussion is fine. Threadcrapping is not. Far too frequently, members of this forum fail to know the difference.

majorjoe23 02-24-07 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
seriously though, people are allowed to discuss SP/the new album/tour in this thread even if they're not 100% with you. this isn't china.

i, myself, am disappointed there will only be 1/2 the original lineup. heck, i enjoyed them sans d'arcy. this reeks of "zwan failed, let's change the name". i'll keep an open mind though, and look forward to hearing what they churn out!

You're just lucky you didn't mistype anyone's name!

breadlymoore 02-24-07 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Speak for yourself.

Isn't that the whole idea of a message board?

superdeluxe 02-28-07 12:39 PM

http://otto.forotech.com/spbeth.jpg

:)

UAIOE 02-28-07 03:48 PM

Official album art?

Seems a bit lacking compared to past covers.

superdeluxe 02-28-07 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Official album art?

Seems a bit lacking compared to past covers.

hahaha. No..That was the SP heart logo i 'drew' on a giant omellete.

DVD Josh 02-28-07 11:19 PM

Makes more sense than the cover of any SP album so far :D

peon73 03-02-07 05:28 PM

i remain a big fan. i still listen to gish, siamese dream and melon collie alot. i love them so much that i still play along on my guitar to the cds

DeVante 03-03-07 10:34 AM

No James Iha or Darcy= No Sale

DVD Josh 03-03-07 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by DeVante
No James Iha or Darcy= No Sale

This makes NO SENSE. Don't you people understand that James and D'arcy had virtually NO INPUT in the band's writing or sound? D'arcy barely played on a record until MCIS, and even then only sparingly (Billy played bass). James tracked nothing until MCIS, and then almost only on the songs that were recorded live (like XYU).

As for writing, James had such memorable songs as Take Me Down (although yes, he wrote Mayonaise, and for that I give him much props). Most of James' writing like The Boy and country girl ended up as forgettable b-sides. I can't name a single song that D'arcy even wrote.

People like the above poster have some archetype of the band in their head when that archetype greatly differs from reality. For an intents and purposes, Billy and Jimmy WERE THE SMASHING PUMPKINS. James and D'arcy could barely play their instruments when Billy met them. While it would be nice to have the "live" version of the SP, having Billy and Jimmy is the same thing.

So continue on this ridiculous and beyond the pale path of "no jimmy/d'arcy = no sale", because it only shows that "fans" like this had no real understanding of the Pumpkins and their music at any point of their history.

UAIOE 03-03-07 01:06 PM

Darcy sang "Daydream" on Gish.

But I still hope the new album doesn't sound like MACHINA. Also, I dunno how this is going to fit in with my SP collection as it starts with the first stuff they recorded as SP ends with their greatest hits CD.

TripWire 03-03-07 03:54 PM

Even though Corgan may have wrote most of the songs and played a lot of the instruments on the actual recordings, I think also without Iha or Darcy, there is something missing. I don't think Corgan can offer much anymore by himself, he has no sense of direction and is making forgettable music and bullshit poetry, and is probably becoming even more of an egomaniac that he was before. Iha and Darcy kept him somewhat grounded and made him a better songwriter or at least pushed the band in the direction it needed to go.

It's not all about song writing also, it was their live shows with Darcy and Iha that fans are attached to also. The Pumpkins have never had the same vibe live without them.

krazykat72 03-03-07 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by TripWire
Even though Corgan may have wrote most of the songs and played a lot of the instruments on the actual recordings, I think also without Iha or Darcy, there is something missing. I don't think Corgan can offer much anymore by himself, he has no sense of direction and is making forgettable music and bullshit poetry, and is probably becoming even more of an egomaniac that he was before. Iha and Darcy kept him somewhat grounded and made him a better songwriter or at least pushed the band in the direction it needed to go.

It's not all about song writing also, it was their live shows with Darcy and Iha that fans are attached to also. The Pumpkins have never had the same vibe live without them.

Disagree quite a bit. Number 1. James was never not at a live Pumpkin show, so no one really knows how it'll feel without him (Zwan's a different animal entirely, and their live shows were great, the album was so-so) 2. I didn't miss D'arcy all that much in 2000 and felt Melissa Auf Der Maur did a fine job replacing her.
I also really liked The Future Embrace since it was another form of BIlly's musical evolution., and I hope this album continues a growth as opposed to simply being a retread.

-Paul Jacobi-

TripWire 03-03-07 06:40 PM

This is true about the Iha thing, and I even saw the machina tour..my bad. Auf Der Maur I guess did her job, it's hard to tell how viable she is to the band though as a member.
The Future Embrace was a one trick concept though, Corgan goes electro. I didn't see it really as an evolution but more of an experiment.
And some bands I dunno, they don't really need to evolve into something different, I think they are a band that should stick with what they are good at. Corgan is good at riffage and Chamberlin is good at rockin drum beats. Maybe it's that I never got tired of grunge music, but I just want The Pumpkins to bring it back.

cdollaz 03-03-07 07:01 PM

I can't really see them being labeled a grunge band, but OK.

TripWire 03-03-07 07:26 PM

well thinkin Siamese Dream...butch vig, 1993...dropped tunings with like 40 guitar overdubs and lovers of the Big Muff...kinda grungy.

SeekOnce 03-28-07 09:12 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070328/...34bH_oTBlxFb8C

Pumpkins pick Paris for first reunion show

2 hours, 25 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The reunited Smashing Pumpkins will end their six-and-a-half year hiatus on May 22 when they play a theater show in Paris, the first date of a tour of European festivals, a spokesman said on Wednesday.

Besides original members Billy Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin, it is unknown who else is in the lineup. The band will unveil songs from its upcoming Reprise Records album "Zeitgeist," its first CD since 2000's "Machina/The Machines of God." A release date has not been set.

Amid increasing intra-band tensions, the Pumpkins played a marathon farewell show in their Chicago hometown on December 2, 2000. Corgan and Chamberlin were supplemented by guitarist James Iha and bass player Melissa Auf Der Maur, who had replaced D'arcy Wretzky in 1999.

Since the breakup, Corgan pursued various solo projects with little success. In 2005, he took out a full-page ad in a Chicago newspaper to announce reunion plans.

After the May 22 show at the Grand Rex, the Pumpkins will head to the Dutch city of Landgraf for the Pinkpop festival on May 28. They will subsequently travel to Spain, Germany, Portugal, Austria, Italy, Switzerland and England. They will also play the North American V Festival shows in Washington, D.C. on August 5 and Toronto on September 8. A statement said to "stay tuned" for news on more North American dates.

Reuters

Hollowgen 03-28-07 11:57 PM

i'd say what i think of them using "reunion" but i don't what anyone to jump down my throat!

UAIOE 03-29-07 12:07 AM

You'd think he would have picked Chicago.

starseed1981 03-29-07 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
You'd think he would have picked Chicago.

Nah, were kinda sick of him.

But I do imagine there will be a five night stint at the Metro this fall, or something along those lines.

Tarantino 03-29-07 11:02 AM

I look forward to hearing the new stuff. I was a big fan of Mellon Collie...loved the singles from that album. It also sounds like maybe I was one of few that really liked Corgan's solo album.

Here's a question for the Pumpkin fans in this thread:

Which other album(s) should I check out that sound similar to Mellon Collie? I listend to that album a lot in high school.

= J

UAIOE 03-29-07 01:49 PM

Siamese Dream and Pisces Iscariot.

Flashback 03-29-07 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Nah, were kinda sick of him.

But I do imagine there will be a five night stint at the Metro this fall, or something along those lines.

I am, I think they are very weak live.

DamingR 03-29-07 05:18 PM

SP have very good live shows and very bad live shows. What you get is completely dependant on Billy Corgan's mood.

If you don't like them, fine. If you saw one of their bad concerts, fair enough, I've seen plenty of them myslef. But it's really not very accurate to say that as a whole they can't play live, because when BC is on fire, he puts on some of the best performances I have ever seen. FWIW, I saw SP 10 times and Zwan 12 times. I would say 4 of the SP shows and 8 of the Zwan shows were incredible. The others were mailed in.

krazykat72 03-29-07 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I look forward to hearing the new stuff. I was a big fan of Mellon Collie...loved the singles from that album. It also sounds like maybe I was one of few that really liked Corgan's solo album.

Here's a question for the Pumpkin fans in this thread:

Which other album(s) should I check out that sound similar to Mellon Collie? I listend to that album a lot in high school.

= J

The Future Embrace was *really* good. It's grown on me more and more in the lastyearand a half....

-Paul Jacobi-