DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Smashing Pumpkins: Zeitgeist - 7/7/07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/491831-smashing-pumpkins-zeitgeist-7-7-07-a.html)

jimmy-D- 07-26-07 07:10 PM

Just for anyone into the pumpkins this site is amazing ThePumpkins.net you just sign in and you can download all the pumpkins early demos and rare stuff like the mashed potatoes compilation-VERY rare!!!:)i love it anyways

DrRingDing 07-27-07 02:19 PM

So, now that people have had time to digest this album, is it worth the effort? I haven't bothered about it because I have this idea that I've moved past the Smashing Pumpkins. I loved Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie and Adore, but after that I've had ever waning intereset in Corgan's projects. Zwan was alright.

Again, should I bother? The metacritic rating for this one is pretty low. I'm asking this not as a threadcrap, but more in the hope that somebody here can provide me solid rationale for finding this.

I've been following this thread loosely, but there are a lot of posts and I don't have the time.
-ringding-

DVD Josh 07-27-07 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by DrRingDing
So, now that people have had time to digest this album, is it worth the effort? I haven't bothered about it because I have this idea that I've moved past the Smashing Pumpkins. I loved Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie and Adore, but after that I've had ever waning intereset in Corgan's projects. Zwan was alright.

Again, should I bother? The metacritic rating for this one is pretty low. I'm asking this not as a threadcrap, but more in the hope that somebody here can provide me solid rationale for finding this.

I've been following this thread loosely, but there are a lot of posts and I don't have the time.
-ringding-

After the first listen, I liked three songs - D. Clock, Starz and Tarantula. Now I'd say it's up to 7/8 songs out of 13. I am not and never will like United States, but have never liked their extended jam songs (SF, XYU, STOM). I'm sure after a few more it will be 10/13.

It's a solid album. I think it's good work and hopefully they build on it.

TripWire 07-27-07 04:13 PM

don't ever let critics stop you from listening to an album. I think if you actually really loved the band at one point, you should at least give the album a chance.

mdc3000 07-27-07 04:42 PM

After listening solid the last week, I love this record. I love pretty much 10/13 tracks... the only ones I don't really love are United States (same reasons as josh, I've always hated these extended jam songs...anything over 5min needs to be rethought) and Pomp & Circumstance... but other than those two, there are some seriously solid rocking songs on here - Pumpkins are back in a big way IMO.

al_tag 07-28-07 12:29 AM

I've seen on Billboard and a few other places that the next single will be That's the Way (My Love Is) - which I think is a great choice to spark interest in the record.

Anyone else really digging that song (especially the solo that hits around the 3/4 mark)?

TripWire 07-28-07 03:35 AM

yeah I mean the lyrics are kinda cheesy, but the song has grown on me...makes sense it being a single

cdollaz 07-28-07 09:09 AM

That is one of the 2 or 3 songs on the cd that I can't stand. Ugh.

DVD Josh 07-30-07 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by al_tag
I've seen on Billboard and a few other places that the next single will be That's the Way (My Love Is) - which I think is a great choice to spark interest in the record.

Anyone else really digging that song (especially the solo that hits around the 3/4 mark)?

Not surprising to me. Hopefully they release either DC or Starz next.

BDB 07-30-07 06:12 PM

I'm supposed to be going to the show tonight at the fillmore..

assuming my friends have tickets, they bought 4 tickets, but I had initially heard that the fillmore wasn't allowing multiple sales to the same household, so I guess I'll see later.

Tarantino 07-30-07 08:25 PM

The Smashing Pumpkins were staying at the same hotel as my family and I over the weekend. Pretty cool.

= J

ceeece 10-31-07 02:15 PM

I picked up the Exclusive Best Buy Zeitgeist w/ DVD and 3 extra tracks yesterday. One problem. There was only 2 extra tracks on the CD. Regular album is 13 songs. This one has 15. What happened to the "third". I hope it wasn't a tacked on single that didn't make it to the packaging. Anyway just wondering if anyone else got this and what their experience was?

cdollaz 10-31-07 02:18 PM

The original cd only had 12 tracks. BB and Target had bonus tracks making it 13.

ceeece 10-31-07 02:24 PM

Oh, okay. Thanks. I had borrowed it from my brother so he must have got it at one of those places.