Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bought a new CD today for 1st time in years..

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Bought a new CD today for 1st time in years..

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow what a stupid thread.
Old 10-07-07, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chino77
No.

Originally Posted by John S.
I seriously think its a much better experience to go out to the record store, buy a CD then open it and look at the art, read linear notes, ect. I just like owning the physical CD, which is my main reason for buying them.
I agree 100%. I still buy CDs all the time. I have a decent sized collection of CDs and some good vinyl. I don't feel like I own it until I own it. I can't undserstand how people can pay for downloads, to me that's just stupid.

Originally Posted by darkside
Bascially what I don't want to deal with is DRM. Not to mention the sound quality of CDs is much higher than digital music files.
Yeah, DRM is pretty stupid. I wish there was a way around it.
Old 10-07-07, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by C-Mart
Well, I just thought I would bump this, as the topic came up in another thread... personally I buy CDs for certain bands (like U2) whom I really can't stand to not have the physical disk... but lately I've been buying a LOT of digital music, including full albums. I think the ease and convenience of clicking a button and having the music delivered to me, plus the fact that as soon as I get a new CD I immediately rip it into iTunes and put the CD on the shelf to gather dust, have led me to this thinking path.
I completely agree. Plus it seems like places such as Best Buy never have what I want in stock any more. Not a problem with iTunes...
Old 10-08-07, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by chino77

Was it necessary to make a post for this? Couldn't you have just said "wow what a stupid thread" to yourself and then hit the back button? Why waste your time and ours?

So we just moved recently, and we were attacking the garage this weekend and I found a whole box of CDs! I was wondering why my CD shelf was so freakin' spacious these days!
Old 10-08-07, 08:07 PM

If it is available on CD, I don't ever see myself downloading some low-quality rip. I really fail to understand, save for buying that one track that you just have to have, why people would download a whole album instead of buying the CD and ripping it themselves into a quality of their own choosing.
Old 10-09-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I can't seem to appreciate a digital download as much as a store bought CD. I tend not to give downloaded stuff as much of a chance to grow on me vs. when I have an actual CD with packaging. Not sure why. Just weird I guess.

I buy actual CDs for everything except for a random track here and there.
Old 10-09-07, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Scorpio
If it is available on CD, I don't ever see myself downloading some low-quality rip. I really fail to understand, save for buying that one track that you just have to have, why people would download a whole album instead of buying the CD and ripping it themselves into a quality of their own choosing.
I can appreciate that... personally I don't have the ear to tell much difference. And going from my Boston Acoustic speaker system on my computer that's 10 years old (2 speakers and a sub) to my car which has the 2 rear speakers blown, to the iPod ear buds, my sound equipment is not the best of the best to allow me to hear the difference between a 128 and 196 track.

I've never had a problem with a downloaded song (iTunes) but I have had problems with ripped mp3s in the past - every once in a while I get one that will go into fax mode part way into the song, then I have to find the CD and re-rip the track.
Old 10-11-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonno2006
I still buy CDs, as a collector i just can't accept the fact that my music is not physical somewhere and only on my computer. I just don't like that. When i look back at my musical life in 10-20 years i don't want to have to browse through my computer, i want to have shelves and shelves of CDs.

And yes i guess it's pretty pointless to buy them now since like most people said i just rip them to iTunes and put them back on the shelf. I wanted the new Foo Fighters a little earlier so i downloaded it and just this week i bought the actual cd.

I collect DVDs and CDs. I just love having the disc artwork and the booklet.
I have about 1000 CDs but I haven't bought one in about two years. Like a previous poster, I tend to buy CDs of acts that I really like, but with every year I just keep having less and less space available. I recently ripped almost every CD I own and then burned the MP3 files to DVD. This little project took me several months - like six months to be exact. It's kind of cool to have all my music in a CD case. If I could easily sell my CDs, I would.

And by the way, I'm a crazy collector so I understand the obsession of wanting to be surrounded by my "stuff." I just don't have the room anymore. Sigh...
Old 10-11-07, 08:59 AM

i buy them because i have/enjoy my collection.

though i do see your point with the ipod. im guilty of that, buying a new cd, flipping threw the book once, ripping it to the comp/ipod than setting in on the shelf.

sometimes i think i should just sell my collection and keep only a handful of my favs.
Old 10-11-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I continue to keep and buy CDs for one reason. As the hard disks in my computer and my iPod get roomier, I can go back periodically and re-rip my collection at higher and higher bit rates. As soon as they put out an iPod Classic with about 200-250GB, I'll be able to got 100% lossless and then maybe think about ditching the old CDs (although I'll probably keep them anyway).
Old 10-12-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I can't seem to appreciate a digital download as much as a store bought CD. I tend not to give downloaded stuff as much of a chance to grow on me vs. when I have an actual CD with packaging. Not sure why. Just weird I guess.

I buy actual CDs for everything except for a random track here and there.
Yep, me too. I probably buy close to 100 CD's a year. Having a CD/Song on my PC doesn't really feel like I own it for some reason.